BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to fix my car's problem with power loss/Hesitation at Higher RPM... Before go out and spending money, I was wordering if some one with 540i can loan me MAF for quick trial and error. I'm thinking it shouldn't be no longer than half hour of time... I will take you out lunch for it!:D My car is 1998 540i 6speed and I live Huntington Beach CA...so anybody who can help me out please give me a call 714-837-2305.

P.S I'm thinking Weekend is good time ,but open to during weekdays after 5pm. I'm willing to Drive up to 50mile? thanks!

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
unplug it. if nothing changes then it's not the MAF

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
cam position sensor or cats.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll second the "unplug the MAF" method. I had similar symptoms... i.e. loss of power at higher rpm's, hesitation, surging, etc. Unplugged the MAF and she ran like a champ. Got a new one for $150 and that solved the problem. This is just one step in the process of elimination. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pilotroger said:
I'll second the "unplug the MAF" method. I had similar symptoms... i.e. loss of power at higher rpm's, hesitation, surging, etc. Unplugged the MAF and she ran like a champ. Got a new one for $150 and that solved the problem. This is just one step in the process of elimination. Good luck.
Hey Pilotroger, where did you get MAF for $150?

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
pilotroger said:
...besides, you don't want someone else's maf in your car. You don't know where that maf has been!
it's not like a penis or anything like that... i think it'll be ok... it's just a tall request.

·
Registered
32 Posts
don't be a fool, wrap your tool!

I saw the VW MAF for $59 but I hadn't read of any 540i operator using it, just M5's. I know there's probably no difference except M5's need 2 of them. I did buy the Land Rover MAF (BMW supplied the V8's for LR for some time) Anyway, it works great. Got it at http://www.getcoolparts.com/searchitem.epc?partnumber=LRV078393 &cookieID=
The VW MAF is worth a try. If it works, buy a couple!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just remembered... I believe 98' and older 540 MAF's have a round plug versus the rectangular plug for 99' and newer. If yours is round that LRV MAF isn't going to work. The VW one also looks rectangular in the picture so you may need to do some looking. Anyway, this is jumping the gun because the MAF may not even be your problem.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
pilotroger said:
I just remembered... I believe 98' and older 540 MAF's have a round plug versus the rectangular plug for 99' and newer. If yours is round that LRV MAF isn't going to work. The VW one also looks rectangular in the picture so you may need to do some looking. Anyway, this is jumping the gun because the MAF may not even be your problem.
I will second this, bmw tech and i just researched this and found that it only i valid on '99 and newer 540i's and M5's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crap!!! yeah mine has rounder plugs on it... I was wodering about that b/c VW,Land Rover, and M5s had rectangular connectors...

·
sdfrog177
44 Posts
I just went through all this on my 2000 540.
If you want to make the drive I live in San Diego, bring your car by and I will read the codes and take a look at it. No lunch needed I dont mind helping out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you want a pair of used camshaft position sensor, pm me. My mechanic mis-diagnosed the problem and I replaced them with the new CPS. So I have no use with my old ones (in good working condition).

Good luck!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O.K. So I unhooked the MAF and tested...I unhooked MAF and started the car, then traction control warning light came on and stayed on. Car still had problem with hesitation/power loss... So I'm guessing MAF's not the problem right? I turned the car off and rehook the MAF and started the car, but my traction control(ASC) warning light is on again! Un oh what did I just do?? I've seen post where some people had problem with ASC switch and had power loss problem. Before unhooking the MAF, I didn't have traction control warning light on, check engine light nor CEL warning. I don't get this...

sdfrog177 said:
I just went through all this on my 2000 540.
If you want to make the drive I live in San Diego, bring your car by and I will read the codes and take a look at it. No lunch needed I dont mind helping out.
Thanks I might need your help soon....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts