BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Looking at an '08 750Li, Need some Advice

1169 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  hungry4knowhow
Okay so I've been searching for an 02-08 or 09-12 7 Series. I know they tend to have the most critics, however they also have ALOT of issues that can be dealt with by simply having some Google-Fu.

I've got an opportunity to pickup an 08 750Li for 2k. Its got 90K miles on it and has the transmission issue where it goes from D to P or R to P. Sounds like a fairly doable fix from reading here and a couple other forums. Car is mint inside and out other than this issue. I have not put eyes on the car yet other than pics and talking to the seller. Im trying to get as much info as possible before making the trip (I live in the rust belt)

I also just got this report from the seller, can anyone maybe glean some more info from this report that might tell something about the trans issue?

I'm fully aware I am buying a 100k luxury vehicle for 2k. I know it doesnt come without alot of time or money investment. Just trying to get as much info as I can. This forum has been a godsend so far in my search.
Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Interesting Read.

I bought a 2008 750LI with about 100K miles, but I certainly didnt pay $2K, I paid closer to $11K w TTL.
I dropped and easy $6K of parts into it as most stuff does need to be updated. You are gonna have to replace everything that is maintenance if you dont want it acting up.
My list was
1. oil pan gaskets
2. ZF Trans filter kit and fluids
3. Oil change
4. alternator
5. tune up spark plugs and coils
6. both valve covers and all gaskets
7. belt
8. air filters in engine and cabin
9. brake pads
10. water pump and thermostat
11. radiator hoses
12. fuel filter
13. solenoids in Transmission and kits by ZF
14. parking brake gear
15. trunk hydraulic fluid pricey
16. washer pumps
17. alternator bracket gasket (this is the worst of them all) the labor time is serious
18. new battery
19. coolant fluid change
20. brake fluid change
21. power steering fluid change
22. differential fluid change

I still have changed the ball joints and suspension like control arms, tie rods, front or rear, etc... all does need to be updated regardless, it is aged rubber.

It is easy to spend money on parts and you can save on DIY but many things you need a good mechanic friend to assist, which I have.

It is worth it since you are paying very little for the car. It is a great riding car. Fun to Drive and will last another 10yrs

Definitely use FCPEuro.com for all your parts need, they are Lifetime Replacement. Meaning you send in your old changes and you get a refund for it after you buy the new one.
All parts are Lifetime guaranteed. Part of the reason I dont mind changing all my parts.

Hope this helps.
Reactions: hungry4knowhow
Forget to mentioned, it is a good idea to invest in a professional scanner. Autel is a good brand. I was used to using Matco's Launch and I have a Snap ON solus. But Im getting ready to buy another scanner from Autel Maxsys Ultra. 2022

You will end up using it a lot.
Okay so I've been searching for an 02-08 or 09-12 7 Series. I know they tend to have the most critics, however they also have ALOT of issues that can be dealt with by simply having some Google-Fu.

I've got an opportunity to pickup an 08 750Li for 2k. Its got 90K miles on it and has the transmission issue where it goes from D to P or R to P. Sounds like a fairly doable fix from reading here and a couple other forums. Car is mint inside and out other than this issue. I have not put eyes on the car yet other than pics and talking to the seller. Im trying to get as much info as possible before making the trip (I live in the rust belt)

I also just got this report from the seller, can anyone maybe glean some more info from this report that might tell something about the trans issue?

I'm fully aware I am buying a 100k luxury vehicle for 2k. I know it doesnt come without alot of time or money investment. Just trying to get as much info as I can. This forum has been a godsend so far in my search.
View attachment 1076589
Reactions: hungry4knowhow
DO NOT get anything powered by an N63, that is any F01/F02 with a V8... At your price point though, a 7 Series likely to be very broken...
Crankshaft error is a concern - you're better off spending a few k more to get one that doesn't exhibit any of those issues. As Bimmer3er said, do not get an N63 as that's so much more of a headache. I'd be budgeting 5-6k absolute minimum as you would need to replace every rubber gasket in addition to potentially expensive costs on new cats or such given the error codes.
Thanks for the advice all. I've decided to pass on this one and keep looking.
Reactions: Bimmer3er
1 - 6 of 6 Posts