Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2018 540i xdrive
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, always fancied BMer's but never jumped in (drove and rented many). Looking at the 530i xdrive CPO. mainly because they come with 1 year additional warranty and unlimited miles. I'm also looking at higher mileage (35k to 44K) as they prices drop to around 30k. Thoughts about car, higher mileage buying extended warranty. Also, how much room is there for negotiations on CPOs?

Thanks in advance.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,558 Posts
Welcome to the Fest. At 40,000 the car is barely broken in. My 2018 540 was trouble free for 65,000 miles.

Take an extended test drive and make sure you are comfortable with the seats. The standard "Sport" seats are uncomfortable for some folks with larger frames / higher BMI's. The upgraded Multi Contour Seats are universally loved. Make sure you're a good fit for whatever seats are in the car.

WRT price, everything is negotiable, but there has been low supply and high demand, due to more Americans buying cars, and the factory being shut down for COVID.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi all, always fancied BMer's but never jumped in (drove and rented many). Looking at the 530i xdrive CPO. mainly because they come with 1 year additional warranty and unlimited miles. I'm also looking at higher mileage (35k to 44K) as they prices drop to around 30k. Thoughts about car, higher mileage buying extended warranty. Also, how much room is there for negotiations on CPOs?

Thanks in advance.
I know out in Chicago, all certified cars are non-negotiable. They'll take off like $500 that's about it. My parents brought a certified pre-owned 2018 E class with 10k miles. The dealership wouldn't budge a bit on the price. Went to other Mercedes and BMW dealerships and they wouldn't take more than $500 off a certified car. The car wasn't overpriced (checked kbb and other sources for value) but it wasn't the best deal either. I work at a dealership, so I was able to estimate how much they brought the car for at the auction and then what they put into it ( oil change, tire rotation, and a detail). Compared to the auction price at what they listed the car for, it was overpriced. But then again, dealers have to make money too. I remember my parents inquired about a few year old non certified Mercedes from a BMW dealership and they took $2k off that used car. But the body style was outdated (2016 E class) compared to the new body style E classes (2017-2020).

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'd assume negotiation also depends on if you're financing or paying cash. Maybe if you go noncertified but the car still has the remaining factory warranty (so maybe a dealer demo car), you'll be able to get a better deal? But, I know for a fact in the Chicago land, Certified cars hardly have a negotiation room. What's listed online is what you pay, Regardless of if it's a BMW or a Toyota.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts
I know out in Chicago, all certified cars are non-negotiable. They'll take off like $500 that's about it. My parents brought a certified pre-owned 2018 E class with 10k miles. The dealership wouldn't budge a bit on the price. Went to other Mercedes and BMW dealerships and they wouldn't take more than $500 off a certified car. The car wasn't overpriced (checked kbb and other sources for value) but it wasn't the best deal either. I work at a dealership, so I was able to estimate how much they brought the car for at the auction and then what they put into it ( oil change, tire rotation, and a detail). Compared to the auction price at what they listed the car for, it was overpriced. But then again, dealers have to make money too. I remember my parents inquired about a few year old non certified Mercedes from a BMW dealership and they took $2k off that used car. But the body style was outdated (2016 E class) compared to the new body style E classes (2017-2020).
Yeah, that's the experience I had when I picked up my CPO MB in 2014. Dealers really didn't want to move at all on price for a CPO.

With the money that dealerships make on used cars CPO is probably their cash cow. Lots of demand, especially in the luxury segment where buyers have been trained that the cars will explode as soon as there isn't a warranty on it. They don't have the "invoice" pricing that we're all doing on new cars and they can drop a few bucks off KBB (which starts out inflated for them anyway) and hold firm.

That experience is what pushed me toward buying new this time around. If you're a savvy negotiator you can often end up with a very similar or better deal on a new car than a late model CPO (notice how I purchased a CPO 2014 in 2014, that's a bad idea). In the OP case I'd cross shop used especially places like CarMax where they have good extended warranty options you can use to balance against the CPO and see where you ultimately like to go.

All that being said, the only way for you to find out if there is any room is to open up your horizons to negotiating with the dealer and expanding a bit to see if you can find comps to also negotiate with. Realities in PA may not be realities for you in your state or locale.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah, that's the experience I had when I picked up my CPO MB in 2014. Dealers really didn't want to move at all on price for a CPO.

With the money that dealerships make on used cars CPO is probably their cash cow. Lots of demand, especially in the luxury segment where buyers have been trained that the cars will explode as soon as there isn't a warranty on it. They don't have the "invoice" pricing that we're all doing on new cars and they can drop a few bucks off KBB (which starts out inflated for them anyway) and hold firm.

That experience is what pushed me toward buying new this time around. If you're a savvy negotiator you can often end up with a very similar or better deal on a new car than a late model CPO (notice how I purchased a CPO 2014 in 2014, that's a bad idea). In the OP case I'd cross shop used especially places like CarMax where they have good extended warranty options you can use to balance against the CPO and see where you ultimately like to go.

All that being said, the only way for you to find out if there is any room is to open up your horizons to negotiating with the dealer and expanding a bit to see if you can find comps to also negotiate with. Realities in PA may not be realities for you in your state or locale.
Yup, my parents pay cash for cars. I tried getting them into buying a new 5 series when they went to go look at the older E class at the BMW dealerships. But, to them it didn't make sense because it cost more. That's because if you pay cash now a days you don't save much. There's hardly any incentives if you pay cash. If they went towards financing, they could've saved almost 11k on a new 5 series.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
479 Posts
Yup, my parents pay cash for cars. I tried getting them into buying a new 5 series when they went to go look at the older E class at the BMW dealerships. But, to them it didn't make sense because it cost more. That's because if you pay cash now a days you don't save much. There's hardly any incentives if you pay cash. If they went towards financing, they could've saved almost 11k on a new 5 series.
In that case, why not finance then pay it off with the same cash once the first bill arrives? Car Loans are simple interest loans without prepayment penalties. They could even see it as being paid $11K for the time spent writing the payoff check. Seems like a good hourly rate!

·
Registered
458 Posts
In that case, why not finance then pay it off with the same cash once the first bill arrives? Car Loans are simple interest loans without prepayment penalties. They could even see it as being paid $11K for the time spent writing the payoff check. Seems like a good hourly rate!
I tried explaining that to them. I guess they liked the looks and drive of the E-class better then the BMW. But, I would've taken the BMW in a heart beat over the E-Class. The E-Class looks like a females car imo

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
G30 has so far proven to be solid. Issues other than complaints on functionality / features are lacking. Typically by this time in the lifecycle we would have reports of repairs and we would start developing trends for common failures, but there's simply no such data for the G30. Very promising.
Regarding negotiation power, it seems to vary. When I was shopping late last year I experienced zero negotiating at local SF Bay Area dealers and the one Reno dealer. This is consistent with my twenty plus years of shopping for BMW's in that part of the country. Very arrogant in some cases too.
I have bought cars out of TX and the latest one out of UT where negotiating was quite advantageous to me. The last one was just before end of year (deal was done on Dec 26th), so maybe the end of the year push had more to do with it. Who knows? All I know is got a car listed for $48.9k at $46k after offering $45k. Was super easy and pain free whereas in the same period SF Bay area and Reno dealers were given up nothing, nada, rien, nichts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I'd assume negotiation also depends on if you're financing or paying cash.
No. Dealer gets the money no matter what. They may actually get more of an incentive for getting you to finance if there is a sales spiff from the financial institution.

The E-Class looks like a females car imo
Oh boy... Just going to leave at that because I've had a cocktail - OK two cocktails - and could get reported.

Reactions: Speedrider71

·
Registered
458 Posts
No. Dealer gets the money no matter what. They may actually get more of an incentive for getting you to finance if there is a sales spiff from the financial institution.

Oh boy... Just going to leave at that because I've had a cocktail - OK two cocktails - and could get reported.
LMAO, the one my parents brought has the luxury package. If it was up to me, I'd most likely opt for the AMG/Night package. Or just go with the G20 5 series. More curves in the body line then flatness.

·
Registered
2018 540i xdrive
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking to pay around $30k for a 2018 (which could be tough). I always bought new cars for the reason stated above and got 20 to 22% of MSRP (Infiniti/GMC all about timing). However, this time around, for the CPO is offering additional year of warranty and unlimited miles so I'm getting around 2-3 years of warranty (peace of mind) with unlimited miles which makes mileage a none issue except when I want to resell the car. This will be a transition from an large SUV to a car!!!

I'm glad to hear that there are no issues with this model so far!! More important is a headache free car, don't have time to deal with car issues (regardless of model).

I'm looking at the E300 as a viable option as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking to pay around $30k for a 2018 (which could be tough). I always bought new cars for the reason stated above and got 20 to 22% of MSRP (Infiniti/GMC all about timing). However, this time around, for the CPO is offering additional year of warranty and unlimited miles so I'm getting around 2-3 years of warranty (peace of mind) with unlimited miles which makes mileage a none issue except when I want to resell the car. This will be a transition from an large SUV to a car!!!

I'm glad to hear that there are no issues with this model so far!! More important is a headache free car, don't have time to deal with car issues (regardless of model).

CPO E300 might be a bit on the cheaper side. There were when my parents were looking for one. Compared to the 2017-2018 5 Series

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
This will be a transition from an large SUV to a car!!!

About the SUV thing, make sure you assess your needs carefully. My G30 replaced my beast of burden 2012 X5 diesel. With three rows of seats it could haul people and dogs, had enough room for all the crap three triathletes may pack into it for training days around Tahoe or Donner lakes and drive to races, and it towed heavy trailers up Donner pass several times, and with winter tires handled deep snow like a champ. Fantastic vehicle.

While I love the handling, performance, and looks of the G30 it brings limitations in people / dog logistics, I can only carry one bike (could add one or two with more roof rack bike trays but this year all triathlons were cancelled and I need a break anyway), and no way I could possibly ever tow like I did with the X5.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I tried explaining that to them. I guess they liked the looks and drive of the E-class better then the BMW. But, I would've taken the BMW in a heart beat over the E-Class. The E-Class looks like a females car imo
If you pay it off immediately, BMW goes back against the dealership. But after three months it won't. When I bought mine I intended to pay cash (at my age I am debt free and want to stay that way). There was a $4K finance incentive. So I financed the car and after four months (one extra month to be sure I wasn't screwing the dealership) I paid it off.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good point. When I
If you pay it off immediately, BMW goes back against the dealership. But after three months it won't. When I bought mine I intended to pay cash (at my age I am debt free and want to stay that way). There was a $4K finance incentive. So I financed the car and after four months (one extra month to be sure I wasn't screwing the dealership) I paid it off.
Any idea how much BMWFS goes after from the dealership? Maybe the lost interest-Or more? I wasn't aware of this and when I bought my G30 there was a $4,500 finance incentive, and I paid off the balance after the second payment. I didn't hear anything from the dealership, but maybe that's normal.

·
Registered
2018 540i xdrive
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About the SUV thing, make sure you assess your needs carefully. My G30 replaced my beast of burden 2012 X5 diesel. With three rows of seats it could haul people and dogs, had enough room for all the crap three triathletes may pack into it for training days around Tahoe or Donner lakes and drive to races, and it towed heavy trailers up Donner pass several times, and with winter tires handled deep snow like a champ. Fantastic vehicle.

While I love the handling, performance, and looks of the G30 it brings limitations in people / dog logistics, I can only carry one bike (could add one or two with more roof rack bike trays but this year all triathlons were cancelled and I need a break anyway), and no way I could possibly ever tow like I did with the X5.

aha, you make an excellent point!! my current Yukon is a monster and build for that purpose! making me reconsider and get an x5 instead!!! I'm going to test drive today and see where we end up at!!

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
aha, you make an excellent point!! my current Yukon is a monster and build for that purpose! making me reconsider and get an x5 instead!!! I'm going to test drive today and see where we end up at!!
If you can find a diesel X5 give it a try. Best engine for that car.

Reactions: Speedrider71

·
Registered
2018 540i xdrive
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your feedback. So theory/websites to test drive, and oh boy this is going to cost me!!!

Took the 530i for a test drive fully loaded with multi contour seats and the x5 with no contour seats!!!! There is a HUGE different in seats and how the car drives. I loved driving the 530i and with the contour seats, i fell in love with how comfortable and quite the ride was, even with road bumps. The car was fully loaded and loved every option with the exception of no Adaptive Cruise control. If I chose the change of life style and change the car, it will be the 530i for sure!!!!

The one I test drove is CPO, 2018, 48k and fully loaded (PREMIUM PACKAGE, DRIVING ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, WIRELESS CHARGING, Multi-Contour Seats, heated steering wheel, premium sound, apple car play, and all heated seats) asking $32k - love the car but the miles are high I think - only reason holding me back. love the color!!! with CPO warranty until Dec 2022!!! Sales rep said price wont go down, but can negotiate extended warranty or maintenance or something to be thrown in (what has the most value - warranty?)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,208 Posts
^ If you are getting a warranty, why are miles a concern? These cars dont dissolve in X years or Y miles! Thats unlimited miles by Dec 22?

Go with the warranty, skip the maintenance plan.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts