1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering trading in my S430 sport for 2002 or
2003 745i.
I am new to this board and have heard horror stories about
problems so severe that owners were spending more time with their loaner cars than with their new car. Were the problems intial and since resolved or is this a problem car? I would appriciate any input, especially from owners of the new 745i.
I had a 1998 528i and never had any problems with it.
Help! My only other chouce is a Lexus LS 430.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
There are some cars that have software glitches, but the vast majority aren't like what you hear online. Though, I wouldn't buy one expecting it not to have any glitches. The fun to drive factor over the Lexus far outweighs the potential software issues. Also, any electronic bugs can be worked out though updates. I was talking to somone in the service department about it this morning. They haven't had that many cars come back, less than he expected they said. Though, you could always get a lemon or a perfect car. Always luck :dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
MBZ said:
I am strongly considering trading in my S430 sport for 2002 or
2003 745i.
I am new to this board and have heard horror stories about
problems so severe that owners were spending more time with their loaner cars than with their new car. Were the problems intial and since resolved or is this a problem car? I would appriciate any input, especially from owners of the new 745i.
I had a 1998 528i and never had any problems with it.
Help! My only other chouce is a Lexus LS 430.
If you're coming from a Lexus you will probably be disappointed with the service and buying experience, as well as reliability. BMWs are built exceptionally well MECHANICALLY but tend to have little things that will break down, things like weather seal, window regulators, AC blowers...etc. It's always little stuff that does not detract from the driving experience but can be very annoying for owners of a luxury car. Compared to other luxury cars, BMW is actually very good but compared to the king of reliability, Lexus, it'll probably drive you mad.

Just keep in mind though, you ARE buying the flagship and you will be treated like royalty when you bring your car in. Just make sure you KNOW a very good dealership service department around where you live, and even if things do break down (1st year models tend to have a lot of bugs) you will probably be taken care of.

I would avoid this years model for the time being, especially since you already have a very nice vehicle to drive. It depends on your priority as well, the 745i is a technical wonder and the best sports sedan in the world...If you want the ultimate driving experience, get the 745i. If you want the ultimate reliable luxury driviner appliance, I suggest you keep the Lexus.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Re: Re: Looking at new 745i

The HACK said:

Just keep in mind though, you ARE buying the flagship and you will be treated like royalty when you bring your car in.
When I was at my dealer getting the M there was a lady looking at a Z8. The owner himself was helping her...talk about service! :yikes:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Looking at new 745i

in_d_haus said:

When I was at my dealer getting the M there was a lady looking at a Z8. The owner himself was helping her...talk about service! :yikes:
I've been standing around waiting for service and the owner helped me :dunno:

·
5,820 Posts
Unless I misread, he owns a Mercedes now.

My advice, forget the Lexus, unless you love a neutered driving experience and cookies at the dealer.

Drive the 745, see if you love it more than the Benz and then decide. I wouldn't get too concerned about service issues. I have two, a 3 and 5, and the service issue have been very low.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Looking at new 745i

in_d_haus said:

Well, can you IMAGINE the type of margin they're making on that car? ONE single sale of the Z8 will probably pay for all operations at that dealership for a month.

Man, I'd help her wipe her *ss after a dump if she'd buy a Z8 from me.

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking at new 745i

nate328Ci said:

I've been standing around waiting for service and the owner helped me :dunno:
Owner, when he's around, always says "hi" to me. Doesn't necessarily help improve the service though. But then, I haven't really needed any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I currently drive a 2000 mercedes S430 Sport AMG package. I have had minor things happen to this car and that I can live with, but the Roadfly E65 message boards really make you pause,
they talk about 5, 10 , 15 trips to the dealer with very little success of getting the car right. Also, they say that BMW Corp. has really had a poor attitude towards trying to help them. I have also read some posts that there have been very little problems.
I would only go to Lexus ( I have never had one) if I thought that the 745i was frought with problems.
I did drive the car and it was amazing. I particually liked the seats, comfort features, and the handling. But from the posts, the problems start showing up a couple of months after you drive off.
I have owned lincolns, cadillac, Jag, Bmw, and a few MBZ S classes, and only the Jag had serious mechanical problems.
Are there any other websites where I can get more info on the new 745I?

·
10,856 Posts
I suspect that the 2003s will have had the really major bugs worked out...
I would never ever buy a first year, but the second year should be a lot better.

One of my Uncles bought a 745iL and he's rather fond of it. (It replaced a S430 as his commuter car.)

·
10,856 Posts
atyclb said:
buy an s500 and be done with it :eek:
IMHO, the standard S class is a bit bovine... Even with the AMG package it doesn't handle all that well... The S55 is another matter, of course, but...

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
IMO i think going from MB to Lexus is a step backwards in automotive engineering innovation. and if service and quality is all you cared about then obviously the type of car u drive isn't a priority, short of calling u a wuss. :)

having been in the new 745i, if i ever have that kinda of cash i would buy it immediately over the new S-class despite the Bangle butt. it truely is a rolling tour-de-force of technology and it handles way better than any 3series or sports car my butt has had the pleasure of gracing. it is absolutely amazing how it handles far better than the 3series for such a large car. strongly suggest u take one for a test drive and then decide.

but definitely problems(bmw quirks) and service will not be top notch, compared to Lexus. so do u drive a car or do u DRIVE a car? ur a lucky guy to have to make decisions based on S-class/745i/lexus

my 2 Canadian cents worth.

·
10,856 Posts
atyclb said:

what was the 325xiT's first year?

:eeps: :eeps: :eeps: :eek:
I had kind of hoped that the fact that BMW had had the E46 out for a while would help... My experience has not exactly done anything to contradict my comment, either. I sure as hell won't buy a first year again. My car was spent at least six weeks out of commission since I took delivery.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
I think it's the electrical/computer issues that have been always sources of frustration for BMW. The E65 is so laden with all this electrical crap that it's going to cause lots of issues for the owners. Particularly the first year.

2 people in the R&T letters section this month were complaining about electrical issues that are unresolved or unresolvable at the dealer level.

Go with the S55 supercharged. Or perhaps a new A8 or Phaeton.

·
10,856 Posts
JPinTO said:
I think it's the electrical/computer issues that have been always sources of frustration for BMW. The E65 is so laden with all this electrical crap that it's going to cause lots of issues for the owners. Particularly the first year.

2 people in the R&T letters section this month were complaining about electrical issues that are unresolved or unresolvable at the dealer level.

Go with the S55 supercharged. Or perhaps a new A8 or Phaeton.
I think he said in a roundabout way that his budget is about 80K. :p

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
MBZ -
My father has nothing but good times with his 745i :)
Steering vibration was fixed quite promtly, rough idle sorta fixed itself :dunno:
I was scared to death by the roadfly forum too, but all went smoothly enough for us to never even consider buying another brand :)

Oh, and do drive the car. It is amazing.

Although, to be honest...If my father could, he'd be driving S55. Just because "it's a Benz".

Ok, I'm not the best photographer, but I think this looks good:

:mad: @ JPinTO. I can't believe you even suggested an Audi :tsk:

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
ChrisTO, Webguy330i, myself and Tara all got to ride in the Rostmobile. It is truly an amazing machine. I wasn't too fond of the styling at first, but the car does look good in dark colors. The interior fit/finish/amenities are very nice and the car does feel like it handles better than the E46. We were ripping through downtown potholed TO streets and we could hardly feel anything. We then took a ride the next day in Rosts E46 and you could feel the difference.

The handling of the E65 is crisp, the steering very tight, the brakes are amazing and the car gets up to speed very quickly. I also really liked the cooling feature of the rear seats. Tara liked the massage that she got in the front. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.