Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing my 4th BMW, a used 2014 F10 550i Xdrive (N63T engine) with 74k miles. Before I do a bunch of research myself, I would love to hear everyone's comments on the reliability of this twin turbo V8 beast of an engine.

The good news is that this specific car does come with certified warranty for another 2.5 years or 90k total miles...I understand that I will be having to spend typical $300-500/year on normal maintenance, but what is everyone's opinion on reliability? I'd like to get 5 years out of this car, before serious expenses will have to get shelled out.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have 38K miles on mine (non-XDrive, same engine and year).

The engine has been reliable, but not without (very) minor issues. I had repairs done to two (very) minor oil leaks (under MaxCare warrantee). Though it has never burned or 'lost' oil at any time. Goes between oil changes just fine.

I had a camera out on the front left fender looking left. Failed due to wiring corrosion (known issue) - fixed under MaxCare warrantee.
Ceramic iDrive knob was binding up - fixed under MaxCare warrantee.

Other than that it's been solid. Never let me down. I have MaxCare warrantee for 4.5 more years or 120,000 miles.

you're going to find normal maintenance to be more than you are budgeting when you take into consideration brakes, brake build flushes, coolant flushes, oil changes etc... unless you are planning on doing it yourself (I don't have the skill or time anymore lol).

It's a great car, the engine is very strong, and it's very nice to drive.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought my 2016 550i with 4500 miles and now have 29,000 joyful miles on it... just had routine service

Mine takes 1qt of oil every 5000 miles and I'm fine with that.

I had my rims and tires road force balanced and no vibration issues at any speeds

The electronics have been solid with occasional bmw I-drive resetting itself about ten times since 2016

Had a battery replaced under warranty as this is a weak spot for this car

The soft close creak when closing but I'll be lubing the seals to solve that

The zf8 trans is a joy

My other car is a 2014 e63S tuned by AMS so for me to enjoy the 550i this much really says something

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the comments. Any high mileage owners out there? Would love to hear your perspective of the N63T engine reliability above 50k+ miles.

I have only owned inline engines...2004 E46, 2014 F06, and wife drives a 2015 F15 now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Prior to purchasing my 2014 550 last year, I spent a fair bit of timing searching the internet and reading as much as I could find. My conclusion:

- The vast majority of N63T owners had/have positive ownership experiences. I searched engineId as well as the model years for other platforms with the motor (X5, 750, 650), I don't really remember coming across any horror stories, by comparison searching for N63 yields more than a few.
- There are 2 (rubber?) coolant lines directly above the turbos that multiple owners mention are prone to leaking and need to be replaced. The hoses on my car were replaced in 2016 and I haven't had any problems with them yet.
- Many N63T owners mentioned that they have oil consumption, 1 liter per 2,000-4,000 miles seemed common. Mine consumes 1 liter every 2,000 miles.

Anyway, my 14 550 has been great thus far. It had 49k miles when I purchased and currently is at 66k miles. The only issue I've had thus far was a failed 02 sensor.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would have a benz e550 sedan had they not discontinued them ... that car was awesome with the ttv8; this 550i is slightly quicker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts