BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my car approaches 30k miles, I grow increasingly nervous about owning it for another 3-4 years out of warranty.

I know the extended warranties offered through the dealership are generally overpriced. Can anyone recommend a warranty that would take me through 100k miles that's reasonably priced, doesn't require prior authorizations to get work done and has either no deductibles or at least a very low deductible. Also one that would be honored at any BMW dealership.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
How much is a factory warranty? And keep in mind that most are negotiable.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If your insurer is GEICO, check and see if you have mechanical breakdown insurance. It is too late if you don't but you might have it as part of a package.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How much is a factory warranty? And keep in mind that most are negotiable.
Spoke to the people at the dealership today and the price for platinum through BMW is $6400 to take it up to 100k miles. After further consideration I think I'm going to find a good independent shop that works on BMW's (there are a few around here)) and self-insure. Anything less than $6400 out of pocket will be a win. Plus, even the "platinum insurance" has a $25 deductible per event so probably up to just shy of $7k and I'm still ahead of the game.

BTW I'm told the price for these BMW policies is set by BMW and is fixed -- there's no negotiating room with these products.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Spoke to the people at the dealership today and the price for platinum through BMW is $6400 to take it up to 100k miles. After further consideration I think I'm going to find a good independent shop that works on BMW's (there are a few around here)) and self-insure. Anything less than $6400 out of pocket will be a win. Plus, even the "platinum insurance" has a $25 deductible per event so probably up to just shy of $7k and I'm still ahead of the game.

BTW I'm told the price for these BMW policies is set by BMW and is fixed -- there's no negotiating room with these products.
Wise choice.

·
Registered
280 Posts

I think if you have good luck for the first 50k miles you will be good up to 100k miles. My previous BMW was a 335d and while a totally different animal it held true for that model. Once I hit 110k then it was a lot of expensive repairs and time for it to move on to another owner.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts

Good Lord, I don’t know how they sell any at that price. And I don’t see how BMW can control the dealers markup. They can control advertised price, but not markup.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,550 Posts
Psy.D or MD, surely you can afford to self-insure for emergent repairs.

In 17 months my note will be paid off. Then the payments are earmarked for emergent repairs while they continue to earn interest, ATM 3X the note interest rate. It***8217;s almost free money.

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,477 Posts
That is not a statement I would accept as true. There is a dealer markup somewhere in there. So the dealer had room to negotiate and chose not to. Nevertheless, the $6400 is ridiculous. Self insuring is more sensible even at a figure lower than $6400.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm one of those that purchased a 6500 dollar warranty for the secondhand car but it has paid off within the year as it coverages oil leaks, turbos, and suspension bushings/struts. Overall the coverage costs about 130 per month or so with deductible. Sure thats a lot but i'd expect to pay 1k a year anyway on repairs without it. My car has depreciated a lot due to its age so the warranty cost is a workable number for me in the long run or its trending that way for now.

I didn't have an extended warranty for my 2004 e46 coupe but that was so much more reliable than the X5 due to lack of complexity, port injection, no turbos, no nav, and no 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Some good points raised here. During my seven year tenure selling BMWs in my "early retirement" phase, I had to opportunity to purchase a BMW extended warranty for my wife's car. As a dealer employee I got it for our dealer cost. The remit (what the dealer paid BMW) on the policies was roughly 50% of retail price. I am fairly certain that by law BMW cannot dictate the retail prices of anything the dealer sells so I would expect there are some dealers willing to negotiate price on extended warranty plans. And you certainly can buy an extended warranty from any BMW dealer. Once you buy it it is in the BMW service computer system for any dealer to see. I know from experience that GM factory warranties are sold at a good discount by some dealers. One in particular (from Montana no less) has almost cornered the market on them by being aggressive on price and promoting regularly on the Corvette forums. Without them I would not have bought one as my local dealer wouldn't budge on price. I am surprised no supporting vendor BMW dealers here don't do this. And last but not least, I would definitely get a BMW warranty if you really want coverage to apply and be painless in its process. We have seen many third party warranties (cheaper of course) deny claim after claim for any little technicality. Just my $.02--Boib

1 - 13 of 13 Posts