BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Very happy owner of an 08 335 E90 here... Loving the car, my first BMW...
Had taken it to a few HPDE's and autocrosses... And at this point, looking to invest in a long term project track only car... I love the E36 M3's and know you can find great deals on them these days.. My question is should I be looking for a low miles later models 97-99 and shell out 12K+ or look for a beat up 95 with lots of miles for less than 7K and spend the money of fixing it up...

I plan to keep this car for a very long time and keep upgrading it as my skills improve..
At first I would not be looking at more than getting the car reliable, maybe brake, tire and suspension upgrades..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It is MUCH cheaper to buy somebody else track car than to build one your self. You can get some great used race cars right now..*****er's market.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually not looking for a race car, just a dedicated track car that I can vuild up over the years as my skills improve...
No need for a race car at my current level.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Actually not looking for a race car, just a dedicated track car that I can vuild up over the years as my skills improve...
No need for a race car at my current level.
same thing...people build up cars then end up buying race cars. Still cheaper to buy something somebody else has already started than to start from scratch. Or you could be the kind of person that wants to tinker.

·
<-NIKi
1,875 Posts
I just purchased somebody else's low grade track car. Love that I don't have to spend tons on modifying it. Here's the catch though. They raced it and drove it hard. It's going to have some worn components and will cost you money to fix. I honestly think no matter what road you take you're going to end up spending about the same amount of money. It's almost just a question of when you want to spend the money. My cars up on a lift right now and I've had it a week...

·
Wrencher
438 Posts
ill be coming up on an m3 that was hit from the back for my e30 swap... but the damage is not that bad its fixable... if your interested let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
in same boat

Ramos, I in the same conundrum. I have spoken to locale very respected tuner shops. They have two very different opinions on milage High Miles just drop it off and give me youre check book Those Ms are around 7k to 10k

Or drop 15k plus for a car under 100k in miles and then get youre list started

if you would like to compare notes my path is very identicle to youres.

If anyone can add or chime in. Here is my map

GET CAR Safety Mods Brakes Suspension then add the performance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry don't check in here very often...

Well, either way whether you buy high mileage or low mileage, it will need upgraded brakes and suspension to make a reasonable track car...

I agree on the order of mods

1. Safety
2. reliability

These two are more of an issue with higher mileage cars

3. Upgraded brakes
4. Upgraded tires and wheels
5. upgraded suspension

6. performance (for me no need just yet)

So high mileage or low mileage and more $$$ up front ??

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill be coming up on an m3 that was hit from the back for my e30 swap... but the damage is not that bad its fixable... if your interested let me know.
Sure, more details? You can PM me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts