BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2007 X3, I hit a deer the other week and need to replace my headlight.. I have the halo, xenon, self adjusting lamps.. I see there are options for bi-xenon? Is that what I have already? I guess im just asking if anyone knows what exactly I need to buy?.. I also seen that some sites say xenon relay not included.. I dont understand what they mean.. im no mechanic, my dad is but only on domestic vehicles so he's learning with me lol. He also isnt very smart in the electrical department.. I would like to match the passenger headlight to the driverside but it would almost be cheaper to get the halogen type without self leveling and halos.. but I don't know what kind of problems that would cause.. any links to what im looking for as a complete set up or any help whatsoever would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,929 Posts
I had a pheasant fly into the front of my Bi-Xenon X5 while I was going 35 MPH about six weeks ago. The bird shattered the outer headlamp assembly cover. Insurance covered it NQA $5000 and more than a week in the BMW body shop. Expensive, yes but all seems perfect, no errors and everything works as well as I understand it.

A Xenon High Intensity Discharge lamp is not an incandescent bulb, but a short-arc 'burner' that requires a high voltage supply ballast and a higher voltage igniter, all properly sold as an assembly. For my X5 $250 a side.

Beware of counterfeits as the counterfeiters take advantage of American DIY-ers ignorance.

As always a great place to START learning about a new technology is at the Wikipedia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked closer today, its parked at my dads place, since I hit the deer a mile from his house.. and he has the shop/tools/lift.. I didn't take a pic of the broken lamp, cuz I'm an idiot. But I did get a pic of the numbers on top of the driver side housing.. after looking at the bulbs and lenses of the broken side I dont believe its the xenon but rather just halogen. Ive seen the xenon and couldn't find anything close on mine. No ballast either.. what I seen was a regular halogen bulb, a tiny bulb with fiber optic strands running to the halos and a magnification lens which im guessing is the projector? I'll post the best photo of the top numbers from driver side and I will stop after work tomorrow to take a pick of the busted up side and good side best I can.. thanks to you two for the reply. Sorry about the pictures. It was dark, and couldn't tell what it took till my flash went off.. idk if those numbers will even help honestly. Just figured I'd try to Google it..but that didn't show anything related.. Really sucks too. I literally just knocked my insurance down to liability to save a bit of money since things got tight and just my fn luck.. this happens.. also need a hood, and bumper - lower, upper.. front clip, or whatever its called. Air intake, washer fluid tank.. luckily the motor is fine and radiator, fan etc. Im pretty much screwed. Broke people like me shouldnt buy nice vehicles if I can't afford to fix it when it goes wrong.. or pay the full coverage lol.. insurance wouldve totalled it anyway..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just replaced my DL fender, DL xenon and bumper all bc of friggen Bambi too! I didn't fuck with insurance either, couldn't lol

Not much of a loss for me, my headlights already didn't match (bought it that way one xenon one halogen ) and was planning on matching them at some point, the deer made the choice easier- xenon.

Hope you get it all figured out. On the BRIGHT side, the halogen headlights are generally much cheaper as well as the bulbs.
It's really easy to tell the difference visually between the two headlights.

Also go look for a parts car to replace all that shit, minus the expansion tanks, you should prob buy that new... Parts car will be so much more cost effective than buying bodyparts new/online/storefront.

Like when mine got bambi-ed, I was really sad, almost bought a 300 headlight, 800 bumper and 200 fender offline just to make her look good again. Instead I waited and hunted for a parts car, almost bought an entire car for 900! Pissed I didn't, oh well. But got all the parts I need for 350 instead bc I waited a little instead of being hasty.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not to hijack but since we are talking about headlights getting smacked.
Does anyone have a source for just headlight lenses for an E83????
I'm striking out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not to hijack but since we are talking about headlights getting smacked.
Does anyone have a source for just headlight lenses for an E83????
I'm striking out.
bimmerjakes is the only place i know that sells the lenses. I got a set last year waiting to do a retrofit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I am sure that I have halogen with the projector lens and halos. That was what confused me I couldn't find the bulb... then I thought to just check the side thats not smashed lol. Dumb. And I'm having a hard time finding a parts car close to me and cons end up with high shipping costs either way.. plus, I dont know if whoever would be honest with me or take a return if it wasn't what they claimed it was.. the thi g im worried about is all the nuts and bolts that hold it all together.. meaning the radiator support and both bumpers and hood. The new parts shows a lot of little pieces that are needed to make it all go together. Then again I won't know what is still good till I actually start dismantling the damn thing. So I guess my question on the headlight is figured out. Thats the most important thing for me right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts