BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting things together to do a Lemons race late this season and of course I'll need a car that fits the $500 criteria....and soon.

I'm no stranger to craigslist searching and coming across a good deal but if anyone comes across a $500 deal that they decide to pass on please send the info my way!

I'm set on an e36, they are what I know and love and that's how I'll have the most fun.

I prefer a 6 cylinder manual trans car, but I'd take a 4 cylinder as well. I'd like to avoid automatics if possible...I've got plenty of parts to do a swap but It'll save time and keep me more by the book for the budget if I don't have to.

I'm willing to drive a few hundred miles from PA zip 17517

It can be smashed up, salvage title, missing pieces, hell I can even bring my own wheels if I need to. It'd be nice if it runs, but It doesn't have to.

If you're not familiar with this I'm not being cheap. The rule is that you cannot spend more than $500 on the car. While I've heard that you can get away with spending more I think trying to play completely by the rules will be more fun.

Thanks!!!!

·
Just a kid with a toolbox
688 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm getting things together to do a Lemons race late this season and of course I'll need a car that fits the $500 criteria....and soon.

I'm no stranger to craigslist searching and coming across a good deal but if anyone comes across a $500 deal that they decide to pass on please send the info my way!

I'm set on an e36, they are what I know and love and that's how I'll have the most fun.

I prefer a 6 cylinder manual trans car, but I'd take a 4 cylinder as well. I'd like to avoid automatics if possible...I've got plenty of parts to do a swap but It'll save time and keep me more by the book for the budget if I don't have to.

I'm willing to drive a few hundred miles from PA zip 17517

It can be smashed up, salvage title, missing pieces, hell I can even bring my own wheels if I need to. It'd be nice if it runs, but It doesn't have to.

If you're not familiar with this I'm not being cheap. The rule is that you cannot spend more than $500 on the car. While I've heard that you can get away with spending more I think trying to play completely by the rules will be more fun.

Thanks!!!!
If you got any questions about Lemons or chump racing, PM me. I've been racing Lemons for around 2 years now. I race with Rally Baby (Won East Coast points championship last season) and Valsalva and we all have a couple E36's running.
Do not expect to be competitive with the $500 limit. EVERYONE cheats a bit, just have a theme and bribe the judges. Manual E36's tend to get a hard time through BS, but with a decent theme and a decent bribe and you'll scrape through with little to no plenty laps.

·
688 Posts
Jakobie might this happen to be your lemon's team? If so we tend to hang out with your team.

No we are not the family trucksteer lol. I'm with Rally Baby with the 1975 Turbo AMC Whornet, White "Banksy" E36 and the Red "Cheatie30". I run with all the other RB and Valsalva cars, like the R107 Merc, the Audi 4000 quattro, the can car E36, the Campbells Soup E36, the Fart Car E30, etc.

We are building a green M52 ti right now but it won't see to much Lemons, more of a chumpcar type.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yeah I know your clan. We have hung before. Paul tends to give us some help with our rat. Our fall race which I missed because I was stuck abroad was a comedy of errors from what I heard. We fielded a two driver race and one was far more exuberant as we know.

I honestly hope He joins another team just due to he doesn't help with the car in the off season. The Cheatie Bang Bang guys I talked with them briefly as I was debating starting my own team but decided to stick it out with current one because of I have a lot of work in my rat, My wife painted the first guise on her own.

If we continue we might just build another fast E36 for DE/track days. My team doesn't listen well which frustrates the hell out of me. I know for one thing I am frustrated over how we get sweated on theme vs the Silver Errors guys. That car is fast and has alot more than 500 in it. Hell our M52 in the 318 was lambasted by Phil at Monticello so much that I OBD-I'd it with a back dated oil filter housing and early intake manifold.

·
Insane in the membrane!
4,561 Posts
Man this looks like so much fing fun!!! Its too bad my '95 325iS was in Winnipeg, it would have been perfect for you, I had to give it up because of rust, but it ran with no real issues, and I ended up selling it to a scrapper for $150.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you got any questions about Lemons or chump racing, PM me. I've been racing Lemons for around 2 years now. I race with Rally Baby (Won East Coast points championship last season) and Valsalva and we all have a couple E36's running.
Do not expect to be competitive with the $500 limit. EVERYONE cheats a bit, just have a theme and bribe the judges. Manual E36's tend to get a hard time through BS, but with a decent theme and a decent bribe and you'll scrape through with little to no plenty laps.
I figure I'll have to so some cheating, which is a large part in wanting an e36. I've got nearly everything I need to build one from scratch just lying around... so i'll surely be breaking the "if a friend has it or its just sitting in the garage" rule pretty badly.

I'm sure it's been done, but we all grew up reciting lines from days of thunder, and idolizing Dale Earnhardt... ******** at heart. We're going with a Days of Thunder theme for the car, and an overall ******* approach. Likely not very original but that's just who we are and we're excited to make a mockery or ourselves and do some racing in the process!

I have a lot of questions but I've always just went for gold and figured things out before nagging other people about it...I just want to get our team accepted and pass tech. So any pointers you're willing to hand out without me having to nag you I'll take!

Small world story, I made a trade deal with the owners of the Can car last year!

If the first time out is a disaster I'm okay with that, live and learn!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We did good our first time out, and have gotten better each time. Cheating, we have stuck in the budget we get each time. Our turd was 300 bucks when I had AAA drag it home. It has raced on the same suspension for 4 races now, we put two junkyard motors in both times for under the dollar limit. The bad is I wanted to stud the engine and usea decent head gasket but my team did not want to listen hence the two engines. Do it once motto is best in my world.

·
688 Posts
I should clear that up, you can race and have a great time, hell even do decent in budget. But the winners are always cheating.

The owner of the can car, Pete, is a friend of mine and I used to work for him too. Good guy!

Lemons really is a fun time and personally I like the fixing broken stuff mid race too. Just make sure you build the cage right and be ready for tech inspection. They are pretty anal; understandably though considering you race on crowed tracks at speed with other novices.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it turns out one of the guys has a 325is shell sitting around that he paid scrap value for and I have an engine and trans that I traded a diff for so we'll actually be right in line with a legal total investment. Proving it won't be easy but we'll try. I'd rather be a million Laps down racing an e36 than picking some random econobox.

Being competitive would be nice but if we can even finish the first time out I'll be happy.

We're going to get the cage from s&w racecars and fortunately one of us is a welder by day so I think we're covered there!

I'm really excited for this, hopefully our team makes the cut for the August New Jersey race.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Your first race depending on how well prepped the car is you might be in Class B but expect to be in Class A. Yes there are plenty of Cheating teams out there. I don't advocate it, but we know it happens. Look at Silver Errors Mercedes 190e 2.3-16V they run with NO Theme and had zero laps added with no theme and have won three races in a row.

Run a clean race get used to the chaos and go from there. Get the best cage possible for your money, we are debating a drivers side Nascar style door bars vs our current X we have now. After seeing Sorry for the Party drive up and into the door of ?

lemons tend to be a very friendly atmosphere and most will help out another team in need. Post up photos of the car when done so we can stop by and say hello. Friday night wander around the paddock is always fun too with a beverage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.