BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
El Macho
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 99 6 speed 540i sport. It's not in the same class as the E39 M5 but am beginning to consider moving up to the M5. What should I be looking for when testing the M5? The 54oi is notorious for cooling system breakdowns etc etc. What are the things I should be asking and looking at right off the bat?

Thanks

·
Overly Intellectual
2002 LeMans Blau M5
6,580 Posts
I had the car you have now before the M5. So "been there, done that" fits here :)

They are almost the same car, really. The M5 has 100 extra HP and you'll really notice that in a test drive; and the clutch is (or should be) heavier. The M5 is reported to have cooling system issues too, same as any other E39, and MAF sensor issues (x2 since you have 2 of them), and maybe double-VANOS related issues. My mechanic says that M-cars almost always have the Check Engine light on for no apparent reason...

...But I've had none of those in my M5 and I'm at over 105K miles now.

I miss the gas mileage if the 540i Sport. 95% of the time, I drive the M5 like I did the 540i. Mellow, playing the "how high can I make CONS1 go?" game. That other 5% is the reason I need a new set of rubber now and I'm in the market for R-compound because regular tires just can't seem to put everything to the pavement when this beast screams at full force.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alfonso,

I'm in the process of purchasing an 02 M5 from Enthusiast Auto Group. I am in FL and they are in OH, but I've spent so much time on the phone with the owner, Eric, that I'm comfortable purchasing the car and shipping it. I think if you are in the market for an M5 he would be a good person to talk to. Good luck!

GWL

·
Registered
48 Posts
What are the things I should be asking and looking at right off the bat?Thanks
Maintenance records...carfax

Look for gaps in information.....accidents.

Maintenance is key, a poorly maintained car "lower" miles may be a poor choice when compared to a "higher" mileage car that's been properly maintained.

Things that will cost you...and should be done
Fuel filter 50-100k
Clutch ~60k....but I've seen them last much longer when adeptly driven (flywheel is only good for 2 clutches before probably needing replacement)
Suspension...various bits wear faster than others....but probably need to be fully gone through by ~100k
Brakes are pricey...check rotor life.
An independent inspection from a knowledgeable BMW shop can be well worth the couple hundred in advance.
The list goes on....so if you know what's been done....it's a helpful go-by...on what might need to be done....sooner than later.

Take your time searching....get the best one you can....you'll be much happier in the end.

Cheers,
E

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Vanos, rod bearings, cooling system, pixels on the dash disappear, burns oil/gas, tires, Cam position sensor, clutch, throttle actuator/motor, and ya thats all I can think of, o and the T stat, and thats about it lol, hit me up if you have any more Q's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.