BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking for an X3. I have $8K, MAX, to spend on it.
I'd like an M Sport [former owner of an E36 M3] and really, the only option I must have is the Cold Weather Package. My bad back likes the heated seats.

I thought I had found the perfect one this last weekend, but when a mechanic says "rear main seal" and "dripping oil" and the current owner both drives like a crazy person and refuses to drop the price, I declined. That was hard.
I had not known that there was an alternative to the wood burl trim - the trim on the lost one was black, all-black interior. it had style.

So, am I nuts to be looking with these narrow parameters? I think I know all the pitfalls, but feel free to let me know what you know about them.

thanks!

· Registered
3,213 Posts
With a bad back, the M-Sport's harsh suspension is not for you. The base model, with some nice, tall, new, squishy tires would be much better. See my posts on such on my two.

And be sure to read on all the expensive maintenance/repairs that may be needed, often right away.

· BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
5,386 Posts
I ran across an 08 several weeks ago on the app. "Offer Up" it was in Charleston 120mi away, I make runs there all the time. Looked in good shape/silver can't remember the miles. Didn't have the title or key...wanted $1000, weeks later then he wanted $900...
I was having fantasies and checked back and it was sold.........$100.
I was glad I don't need another car.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

· Registered
725 Posts
You have plenty of options with that budget. You can always change out the trim, so I wouldn't discount a vehicle over that. These are old vehicles, over a decade old, so expect all E83s to have some sort of issues like oil leaks etc...oil pan gasket being the most common, which is why abscate recommended the 2K reserve. If you can, try to get the Carly app and do a "used car check" with it. I like how it shows you the percent of time the vehicle was driven in automatic vs manual mode. It most likely will always classify the vehicle as bad, but some codes are minor, some major, just have to read them/have mechanic see. Turn on the AC, low fan speed, and see if you hear a hiss sound from the center dash...if you do, you will have to replace the evaporator in the future, thats like a $2-$3K job at a mechanic, entire dash has to come out.

· Anti-Hack
8,174 Posts
In that E53 thread I’d posted a local hero. Here’s one for the E83 option OP is entertaining that I started to inspect today for a friend, and didn’t even have to wait for the seller. ‘04 with 213k for $3500. I knew what year before even showing up due to the front fender.

Looks good enough…

Inside… not sure the steering wheel controls for the stereo still work…

The was great advertising!

If not all that truthful (along with the “no dash lights” that was written in the windshield).

OPG and RMS spewing black oil (“oil was just changed, every 3k miles, and a tuneup every year and a half!”), I guarantee it was running lean and throwing DTCs for it. The seller listed on CL “he knows what he has and won’t respond to lower offers.” Along with the bottle of PS fluid in the trunk, I told my friend he’d be getting ripped off paying anything over $500. The trans splash shield was missing so TC oil temp/condition is suspect. “Just had new O2 sensors installed and was inspected!” Yet the sticker expired last month…

Unfortunately my monetary assessment doesn’t align with the current used car market, and that will likely kick down the road to some unsuspecting person who thinks an 18 year old beater still has brand cache. The seller is probably truthful that it doesn’t have any dash lights…because he pulled the bulbs.

Caveat emptor, OP. As you have a firm budget, I don’t think a decades old BMW is for you.

Via the interwebs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.