BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like since the last time I was on bimmerfest (2012), they changed the rule that allowed us to email all dealers in NA and get the best offer.
Now that I have to bring the car to the dealer, what a bummer :)

My 2012 328i is coming up to 32k and 1 month of the warranty and is looking for the extended.

1. Are there any forum sponsored dealer in north california area that I should just call up?
2. What are prices people got for their extended warranty (and which plan)?

I am open to make a road trip to LA if the plan is that good.

Thanks,

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2014 and so I think I def got it the first year - and probably just shy of 10K - you think there is some sort of discount prior?

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Wow that's a huge difference. I did not know there was a lower premium for buying it earlier.
It is the same difference across all ESCs, e.g. PT 5-yr/70k pre and post are $1368 and $1748($380 delta).

My wild guess is the dealer margin is around $1k-ish, so $500 to $700 below MSRP should be doable.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The price goes up every year so the sooner you get the saving is huge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am getting a quote from Jon in Santa Barbara for 7 years 70k platinum. That sounds a little high for my 32.5 k 2012 bmw. From people it sounds like it should be roughly in mid/high 2000 after 10k. Thoughts?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Try the forum sponsors. Greg Poland from Glendale BMW referred me to one of his finance guys who gave me the best deal after contacting about 10 nearby dealers.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Try the forum sponsors. Greg Poland from Glendale BMW referred me to one of his finance guys who gave me the best deal after contacting about 10 nearby dealers.
I got my best quote from them as well. But I did not buy it yet. Can't decide whether to keep the car or get something else.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The BMW ESC's seems to be inclusion-based. Is a exclusion-based ESC more preferable than BMW's offerings?
I didn't notice that. I thought the platinum coverage was bumper-to-bumper. Is that not the case?

My experience with the extended warranty/maintenance with my E46 was very positive. Looks like things may have changed a lot since then and I need to pay attention to the fine print.

Is there some kind of 3rd party warranty where I would not have to worry about the fine print? Something that would cover the car bumper-to-bumper just like the original factory warranty?

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
I didn't notice that. I thought the platinum coverage was bumper-to-bumper. Is that not the case?

My experience with the extended warranty/maintenance with my E46 was very positive. Looks like things may have changed a lot since then and I need to pay attention to the fine print.

Is there some kind of 3rd party warranty where I would not have to worry about the fine print? Something that would cover the car bumper-to-bumper just like the original factory warranty?
The BMW extended protection plan brochure lists out the items covered by platinum, so that list looks inclusion-based.

However, a sample BMW ESC contract online says the platinum coverage is exclusion-based. The exclusion list is not too bad, but it is definitely not bumper-to-bumper.

The biggest gotcha/caveat in this sample contract is that the aggregate limit of payout is capped as NADA at time of current repair.

This kind of aggregate payout cap(plus exclusion list) seems to be the norm of aftermarket extended service contracts too.

Did BMW ESCs in previous generations(e.g. E46/E39) have this kind of aggregate payout cap?

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams...6efa6b30/c97e6288157b10058a0600146efa6b30.pdf

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The BMW extended protection plan brochure lists out the items covered by platinum, so that list looks inclusion-based.

However, a sample BMW ESC contract online says the platinum coverage is exclusion-based. The exclusion list is not too bad, but it is definitely not bumper-to-bumper.

The biggest gotcha/caveat in this sample contract is that the aggregate limit of payout is capped as NADA at time of current repair.

This kind of aggregate payout cap(plus exclusion list) seems to be the norm of aftermarket extended service contracts too.

Did BMW ESCs in previous generations(e.g. E46/E39) have this kind of aggregate payout cap?

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams...6efa6b30/c97e6288157b10058a0600146efa6b30.pdf
Thanks. Very helpful info.

I don't know if E46 contract had such an aggregated payout cap. I just remember the contract being a lot smaller. There was also no gold/silver/platinum back then. There was only one warranty which covered everything except the head unit/navigation unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts