Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip from Phoenix to LA I got a Transmission Malfunction error when I was about 5 miles from my destination. I took it to a BMW shop there to read the codes and it showed a 4F85 Ratio monitoring, clutch e. On the way home I got 2 transmission malfunction and 1 DCT P17E3 code. I've been driving it around town with no issues.

After reading trough the forums here I think I know what to do but now I need a good transmission shop to take it to that won't just suggest putting in a new or rebuilt tranny.

I just got the car (X5 35D with 87k) and have an extended warranty but it has a cap at $3000 per incident.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. -Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Call around and find a shop that can work on ZF transmissions. They are used in lots of other cars than BMWs. You have a 6HP28X. Did the shop in LA check fluid level? Trans errors are caused mostly caused by fluid level or bad solenoids ($300 in parts) and sometimes issues with the valve body. Needing a complete rebuild is rare. Many shops will only do a complete rebuild as that is the only way to 100% guarantee the issue will be fixed the first time. The shop may also only do a complete valve body rebuild rather than just replacing the solenoids and seals between valve body and trans. Your warranty should have you covered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts