BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a looking to get a low mileage, 540i m-sport A 2003, whats a fair price with almost all options, they are all over the place, I am currently looking at one with 57k miles, i could get it for 12500$, but it has some crappy after market wheels and wrong tire/wheel size, (the dealer says he has the original wheel.tires, but it will be list price , HUH) then there is another one for 18000 $ with 52 k miles almost same options.

any inputs

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I a looking to get a low mileage, 540i m-sport A 2003, whats a fair price with almost all options, they are all over the place, I am currently looking at one with 57k miles, i could get it for 12500$, but it has some crappy after market wheels and wrong tire/wheel size, (the dealer says he has the original wheel.tires, but it will be list price , HUH) then there is another one for 18000 $ with 52 k miles almost same options.

any inputs
Are you refering to the one here in Indy?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2716137992.html

I would just make sure you get a PPI on anyone you look at. I think the one for $18000.00 is ridiculous . Especially for an automatic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be weary of the Florida car. Seems to be quite a few auctions down there. If you are interested , I could take a look at the car here in Indy for ya.
it seems like the one on craigs list is s m sport, it doesnt say it though, ya if its no trouble , and you are close by, i dont mind at all, this way i dont have to drive all the way up to be dissapointed. appraciate it

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Its not too bad but you can use a few things as baraining chips. See if they will pay for a PPI of your choice (not likely). If the cooling system has not been overhauled, you can use that to negotiate. The car looks fantastic but you know how looks can go. Ever had beer goggles? If you take it on a test drive, make sure it is a long one. It does have the sport package, heated seats. But it has had 3 owners.... The guys selling this car have no idea what so ever about this car. I came to that conclusion after reading the "Installed Options" . They just see that BMW roundel and $$$. I would say that $9,800 is fair. You will need the remainder of that asking price for the upcoming overhauls along with anything they may (and probably will) find during the PPI. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this car . That is just mine.

Just realized that this one is a M-Tech. So the price may not be too terribly high if the PPI goes well.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
One last bit of advice. Before even starting any of em up to go on a test drive. I would pop the hood and look for any signs of a white residue build up on the expansion tank, radiator hoses, radiator and anywhere else cooling related. Where there is white, it would be a safe bet to say it has been or is still leaking coolant.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't think 12,500 is terrible if the car looks totally brand new in and out and is the right color/interior you like. I would pay an extra 1K if it was the right interior/exterior combo I liked, it is definitely worth it. I love my car but wish I had waited to find the one that was perfect. There aren't a ton of M-Tech's 2003s out there, so you may have to pay a little extra than you might want for a new-looking one with the right interior/exterior combo. A new paint job is 6K+ so you aren't ever going to repaint the whole car. Interior swaps are more time consuming and costly than most want to admit. Buy the right one the first time. Almost all of the cars will be maintenance neglected, sadly that is why people dump these cars, they see incoming maintenance or tire of the maintenance. Rarely someone does sell a well sorted car but that will take patience and either a long drive or shipping. So expect to have to redo the cooling system by 100K on any car and overhaul the suspension to some degree by 120K.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i havent checked the car yet, but this is close to the car i want ,theres always soething not right on other cars, for e.g i found a perfect low milage car in florida, sport, , (btw whats the diff between sport package and m-tec) but its had some crappy am m3 wheels and they were 17 " with 225 tire size , that sounded fishy

Its not too bad but you can use a few things as baraining chips. See if they will pay for a PPI of your choice (not likely). If the cooling system has not been overhauled, you can use that to negotiate. The car looks fantastic but you know how looks can go. Ever had beer goggles? If you take it on a test drive, make sure it is a long one. It does have the sport package, heated seats. But it has had 3 owners.... The guys selling this car have no idea what so ever about this car. I came to that conclusion after reading the "Installed Options" . They just see that BMW roundel and $$$. I would say that $9,800 is fair. You will need the remainder of that asking price for the upcoming overhauls along with anything they may (and probably will) find during the PPI. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this car . That is just mine.

Just realized that this one is a M-Tech. So the price may not be too terribly high if the PPI goes well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

any inputs
Florida dealer from ebay with only 14 feedbacks ?
Are you serious ?? just ask him you want to do a PPI and see what he will tell you
GL

·
Registered
140 Posts

First, this idea that we can use the fact that a function of the car (the cooling system) is in perfect working order, has never been faulty in the past, and so might need to be replaced in the future as a bargaining chip is ludicrous.

I see this in these "should i buy" threads all the time. But I've never heard anyone come back and report success with that bargaining tactic. I mean seriously, what is the seller going to say? "oh yea, you're right! The cooling system in this car has been working perfectly since it rolled off the assembly line. You win - I'll give you a thousand bucks off. By the way, these tires are brand new, but I hear they'll wear out eventually, so I'll take another $500 off.".

This is especially true if, as you rightly suspect, this seller has no idea what he is selling.

Granted, like you said, I suppose it's possible to bargain if you can see evidence of possible issues. Otherwise, I think you'd just look silly complaining that you want a discount because something on the car works as intended and has since it was built. [/rant]

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
First, this idea that we can use the fact that a function of the car (the cooling system) is in perfect working order, has never been faulty in the past, and so might need to be replaced in the future as a bargaining chip is ludicrous.

I see this in these "should i buy" threads all the time. But I've never heard anyone come back and report success with that bargaining tactic. I mean seriously, what is the seller going to say? "oh yea, you're right! The cooling system in this car has been working perfectly since it rolled off the assembly line. You win - I'll give you a thousand bucks off. By the way, these tires are brand new, but I hear they'll wear out eventually, so I'll take another $500 off.".

This is especially true if, as you rightly suspect, this seller has no idea what he is selling.

Granted, like you said, I suppose it's possible to bargain if you can see evidence of possible issues. Otherwise, I think you'd just look silly complaining that you want a discount because something on the car works as intended and has since it was built. [/rant]
Let me be the first one to report back on that bargaining tatic. It worked for me when when I purchased my car. However , this was from a large Ford dealership. Of course the seller is not going to up and admit that there are issues with the car. However if they are motivated enough to sell the car , they will work with you. In my case, it was the drive shaft. I also had them pay for the flight out to Iowa so I could pick it up.

I understand the success rate on this form of negotiating is low. However there are a ton of variables that would come into play. Is the dealership losing money because it has sat on the lot too long? Is the sales person skills strong or weak? How you approach the dealership with the offer? Everyone is different so you never know? :thumbup:

Once again I do see your point. But it would never hurt to try?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Let me be the first one to report back on that bargaining tatic. It worked for me when when I purchased my car. However , this was from a large Ford dealership. Of course the seller is not going to up and admit that there are issues with the car. However if they are motivated enough to sell the car , they will work with you. In my case, it was the drive shaft. I also had them pay for the flight out to Iowa so I could pick it up.

I understand the success rate on this form of negotiating is low. However there are a ton of variables that would come into play. Is the dealership losing money because it has sat on the lot too long? Is the sales person skills strong or weak? How you approach the dealership with the offer? Everyone is different so you never know? :thumbup:

Once again I do see your point. But it would never hurt to try?
Agreed - times are tough. You should try anything that will get the price down. If the seller is desperate enough, any bargaining chip is worth trying. Hell, when I was looking for my white wagon, I found a black one that was really nice and matched everything else on my checklist, I got the dealer to come down because I didn't like the color! (I ultimately held out for a white one).

·
Registered
649 Posts

I bet you pay more for things than I do. I try everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.