BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am wrenching on my sisters car. I am looking for 2 specs from the manual

1. Minimum thickness for the front disks.
2. The torque settings for the 2 caliper bolts in that hold on the caliper.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Olcarluver,

Hey thanks a bunch. :thumbup::rofl::thumbup::rofl::thumbup:

I am going to measure them. now!

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Olcarluver,

I have 21.5646 MM on the thinnest rotor. So I think that I will be able to get one more cut from the rotors. I am sending my wife to machine shop today. :D She just loves going there.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sounds good! I'm guessing BMW is being cautious with that minimal thickness spec. Where I live, the shops (not all) use the min. thickness requirements to upsale new rotors. My wife's Subaru had rotors replaced under warranty a few years ago. Not long after, maybe 20-30k miles, an indie shop did a routine service, then called her up, saying she needed new pads and rotors, as hers were too thin. She didn't bite;

Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry,

Absolutly. A lot of shops have two rate scales one for economy cars and a upscale rate for BMWs Lexus, and Mercedes. I used to call it the Yuppy tax. And they love to have single women and young people as customers. :D I will let you know how it goes.

Scott

·
Registered
480 Posts
Maybe they don't make em like they used to, but... I change rotors and pads together on my e46. I have turned them (the rotors) and they warped soon after. Going to buy an e36 for the stable and am curious about this issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts