BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I'm in the market for a small, sport oriented SUV. To make a long story short, I've narrowed my choices down to a QX70 and a X3 35i. I do not know anyone personally that owns either an Infiniti or a BMW, so I have to rely on what I find online. So, with regards to the BMW, there are numerous comments/reviews complaining about expensive repairs, but more alarming to me is that, in summary, I'm led to believe that 100k miles is a lot of miles for these cars/suvs (I often hold onto my cars well over 100k) and that basically they are disposable once you break into the 100k miles club. I'm mechanically inclined and I do enjoy performing regular auto maintenance and the occasional repair, but am also concerned about performing such work on a BMW. With this in mind, I quizzed my mechanic (Whom I trust) as to his opinion before I make such a purchase. He made it clear that he does not like German cars and tried to steer me away from them. Furthermore, my neighbor recently bought a '15 650i and took it to said mechanic to have the spark plugs changed. My neighbor told me he turned him down, and that he didn't want to do the job, say what?? Why would an accomplished/experienced mechanic turn away changing plugs on this car? So that weighs on my mind now as well. Which leads me to another concern, should I buy an extended warranty if I were to buy one outside of the factory warranty? I test drove a '17 X3 35i a few weeks ago, it had like 45k on it and it was spotless! It was listed online for $28k, but the salesman informed me that it's really $30k once the dealer fees are added. Add in taxes and dmv fees, and now I'm at $33k, which pushed me into a slightly uncomfortable monthly payment. Add in an extended warranty, and now it's a payment I cannot swing. So, I need to look at an older one, '12, '13,'14, etc (Under 60k miles) That's about all I can think of at this time, but basically, I'm looking for member(s) here to tell me like it is, and even better if they can compare their possible BMW vs Infiniti experience with me. Thank you for your time, Mark

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
24,012 Posts
Mine is my first and prayerfully only diesel, now at 121K+ miles.

All warranties are bets against the house and the house never loses or it would be out of business. Avoid what warranties you can (extended) and hammer the heck out of warranties forced on you . Learn your states consumer protection laws and the federal consumer protection laws..

BMW are quite different mechanically and you will be stuck with Joe $hit the Ragman on You Boob Tube for technical instructions. Spark plugs are a contentious issue. they should be pulled from a hot, as hot as you can stand it, engine lest they pull the threads too. And they have individual coils that are reasonably fragile.

That’s why I have and prefer diesel.

Stick with Toyota.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello All!

I'm in the market for a small, sport oriented SUV. To make a long story short, I've narrowed my choices down to a QX70 and a X3 35i. I do not know anyone personally that owns either an Infiniti or a BMW, so I have to rely on what I find online. So, with regards to the BMW, there are numerous comments/reviews complaining about expensive repairs, but more alarming to me is that, in summary, I'm led to believe that 100k miles is a lot of miles for these cars/suvs (I often hold onto my cars well over 100k) and that basically they are disposable once you break into the 100k miles club. I'm mechanically inclined and I do enjoy performing regular auto maintenance and the occasional repair, but am also concerned about performing such work on a BMW. With this in mind, I quizzed my mechanic (Whom I trust) as to his opinion before I make such a purchase. He made it clear that he does not like German cars and tried to steer me away from them. Furthermore, my neighbor recently bought a '15 650i and took it to said mechanic to have the spark plugs changed. My neighbor told me he turned him down, and that he didn't want to do the job, say what?? Why would an accomplished/experienced mechanic turn away changing plugs on this car? So that weighs on my mind now as well. Which leads me to another concern, should I buy an extended warranty if I were to buy one outside of the factory warranty? I test drove a '17 X3 35i a few weeks ago, it had like 45k on it and it was spotless! It was listed online for $28k, but the salesman informed me that it's really $30k once the dealer fees are added. Add in taxes and dmv fees, and now I'm at $33k, which pushed me into a slightly uncomfortable monthly payment. Add in an extended warranty, and now it's a payment I cannot swing. So, I need to look at an older one, '12, '13,'14, etc (Under 60k miles) That's about all I can think of at this time, but basically, I'm looking for member(s) here to tell me like it is, and even better if they can compare their possible BMW vs Infiniti experience with me. Thank you for your time, Mark

The X3 35i does seem to be a very popular choice, doesn't it? I see them everywhere in the southwest. Seemingly at every traffic light in Houston, Austin, or Dallas or just driving around I spot one or two around me. As for dependability, I've owned quite a few BMWs and, FWIW, had very little mechanical trouble. YMMV.

Having said that, from your post, I question whether a good used or CPO X3 would be within your price range. The example you listed actually sounds like a great deal, a 6-year old X3 with 45k miles for 28k. Down here in the south/southwest there is tremendous demand for used or CPO BMWs and that listing wouldn't be around for long. Especially such a popular model with low miles

Edit: have a look here 2020 X3 3.0 with 49k miles

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
The F25 X3 never offered a spare tire as an option. That's what stopped us from buying a new one back in 2016. We waited for the G01 X3, which does offer an optional spare tire. You don't want to find out your used BMW doesn't have a spare tire on a Saturday night, passing through Bitchslap, Arkansas.

·
Registered
2022 M3
4,257 Posts
The F25 X3 never offered a spare tire as an option. That's what stopped us from buying a new one back in 2016. We waited for the G01 X3, which does offer an optional spare tire. You don't want to find out your used BMW doesn't have a spare tire on a Saturday night, passing through Bitchslap, Arkansas.
I have my full-sized F25 X3 spare for sale on Facebook marketplace and night before yesterday log on and have a heart-breaking message from someone named Victoria. Flat tire on the side of the road 10 miles or so from me but the FB message was four hours old. "I'm stuck on the side of the road with a flat; can you help me? Is the spare still available?" I answered that it was still available. What I did not say was that I don't run a roadside assistance business -- that's a separate call for help that she needed to make. I was just selling a spare. Needless to say, I never heard back from her. BMW is sort of bringing back the spare on the new ones. I roll the dice every time I drive my '22 M3. Fingers crossed...

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
5,134 Posts
^^^^^For time purposes i would have to agree with the above,
Bimmer3er is right.
I tell people wanting BMWs at the age of my BMWs (1st gen),,, "have a second car on hand".
For you, at the age of car your looking at you should be fine...

Unless!

You plan on keeping the car 5 plus more years then you'll start watching the temp arm, listening for bumps,creeks and snaps in the suspension in addition to watching for leaks into the interior from the rains or car wash...not to mention motor oil and coolant leaks.
Welcome to my world...
Damn I love that BMW X3!

·
Super Moderator
14,972 Posts
I'm familiar with the current crop of X3's from driving them at the Performance Center in Spartanburg, lately at our PCD pickup in March. Previously owned an E83 X3.

I'd say based solely on the criteria in your post, you'd be better off with the Infiniti. It seems a much better match for what you are looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the replies!

Doug, good to hear about removing spark plugs (In BMW's) while warm/hot, never heard of that, thanks.

JC-TX, Indeed, there are lots of x3's and x5's in my area, so they are not unique at all, but they do look sharp nonetheless, and stand out from most of the plain vanilla SUV's on the road. As noted though, the price in the ad was not accurate. When I inquired about the vehicle at the dealership, a salesman confessed that the real price was $30k and it's the practice of the dealer to deduct their "Dealer" fees from the listing price in order to get you in the door, and then when you show up, it's "Oh, but there's a $2k prep/dealer fee on top of the price in the ad". I'm thinking about trying Carvana out as they don't have such BS fees, thanks

Autoputzer and Llarry, I didn't know about the absence of a spare, that could be a deal breaker for some, thank you

Bimmer3er and BimmurBrothor, thank you for the input.

Rich_Jenkins, Just curious as to why you believe the QX70 would be a better match for me, thanks!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
24,012 Posts
Thermal expansion is change in length divided by length, and the hole is always bigger - farther around - than the plug.

Reactions: ArtVandaley

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
I have my full-sized F25 X3 spare for sale on Facebook marketplace and night before yesterday log on and have a heart-breaking message from someone named Victoria. Flat tire on the side of the road 10 miles or so from me but the FB message was four hours old. "I'm stuck on the side of the road with a flat; can you help me? Is the spare still available?" I answered that it was still available. What I did not say was that I don't run a roadside assistance business -- that's a separate call for help that she needed to make. I was just selling a spare. Needless to say, I never heard back from her. BMW is sort of bringing back the spare on the new ones. I roll the dice every time I drive my '22 M3. Fingers crossed...
That sounds like a trap. I bet it was really one of those "Squeal like a pig, boy!" guys from the movie Deliverance.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Several things.
Do you like idea of performance vehicle or you actually like performance vehicle? There is difference. Lexus and Infinity or Acura will offer you idea, ok 0-60 time where you can impress neighbor. But that is far from performance. My Toyota Sienna had good 0-60 run. Actually it would give run for a money to my E90 328, which I track. But, performance vehicle is much more than that.
Performance vehicle is not necessarily more expensive to own, but requires more involvement.
BMW’s don’t disintegrate at 100k. If you go under BMW X3 you will find bolts, nuts, bushings, ball joints bigger than heavier Asian vehicles. Same goes for brakes etc. Transmission in that X3 is currently best thing on the market, and it has been for previous 10yrs. It is most widely used transmission in the world, but developed actually between ZF and BMW. There is nothing in Asian or American vehicles that come close to that transmission, performance or reliability wise.

The problem that people have is that around 100k most vehicles need suspension update. BMW’s are very “tight” vehicles and any kind of problem on suspension will become obvious. Now that doesn’t mean suspension is not strong. Generally, BMW is built like a tank. But bcs. performance aspect, things get worn out. Thing is, it is in the eye of beholder whether that is a problem. BMW audience doesn’t buy vehicles just to get from point A to point B. My Sienna had suspension shot at 80k miles. My neighbor has Sienna with 110k and I can hear her “clunking” her way home 100 yards away. When I asked her how is her car, she said: “OMG, excellent. Never had issues.” I personally would never allow my kids to be driven in her van.

I know a guy who tracks his E60 530i with 270,000 miles. Take average Camry to track and it will experience sudden death, somehow.

Now problem is little Johnny from dow the street that bought 335 and he is third or fourth owner. He immediately wants more hp, chip etc. Car has 150k, little Johnny adds some 200hp, then gets all kind of misfire bcs. tuning is more than chip. Then his transfer case dies bcs. he runs different tires with different depth. Then he tells his girlfriend who tells her cousin who tells then to his moms friend that is friend with you, how car sucks.

You need to do due diligence. Find out weak spots, maintenance schedules/good practice and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Anti-Hack
7,994 Posts
I guess I’ll be the one to say it: if a low $30k used car strains one’s finances, it’s the wrong vehicle. If simply paying for the vehicle takes up all the money, what about repairs to it, or when the house hot water tank explodes, or when the house needs a roof? No one should ever be indebted to a depreciating asset. There’s lots of folks going broke trying to look rich.

Going back to an F25 X3 puts you out of CPO realm, and brings with it the much more common disastrous N20 engine. Going back even further to E83 brings arguably more reliability, all else being equal, but also likely higher mileage, more necessary maintenance, and the hackery brought on by 3-4 or more owners that don’t know the difference between a Stilsen and a spanner. Don’t even think about buying one if you’re not willing to get your hands dirty and learn proper automotive repair procedures, as it’s getting old enough that some shops may refuse to work on it. I love mine, but also have a nearly fully equipped home shop in which to maintain it.

If your budget is low $30’s, I’ll suggest something NOT German, but the Ford Escape. My parents just replaced their ‘09 VW Tiguan, which was essentially a lifted GTI so it had the handling chops and fun EA888 engine, with a ‘22 Escape sport model. Stickered for $33k, and Ford knocked off another ~$3k with military/veterans discounts, which paid for the extended bumper-bumper warranty to 10 years and 100k miles. I can honestly say the Ford rides and handles better than both their VW and my E83, is as quick as both of them, and blows them both away on daily operating costs: the VW and E83 pull 25 and 28 highway mpg on AKI 91, but the Escape does 37 on AKI 87. Around town daily averages are 18, 19, and 26, resp.

Yes this is a BMW board, but the only thing I’m loyal to is my bank account. Luxury vehicles like BMWs, Lexuses, etc. are reserved for those who can afford to pay cash for them; once they hit the used market, they become just another heavy albatross. Buy what you’d like, but don’t discount that Escape, as it seems to tick your boxes, not break the bank, and offer the comfort that no one has ever sh1t their pants in the driver’s seat. If faced with the choice of a 50-100k mile used car or brand new with warranty for the same money, to me it’s a no-brainer.

The sold VW with 105k miles, sold for $8500 within 24 hrs of listing it.

The Ford replacement. I’m from a small town with only 2 dealers, a Ford and a Chrysler. So, ease of dealer visits also weighed heavily on their purchase, as they could drop it off and ride a bike or jog the 4 miles home if needed. It’s a damn nice vehicle IMO.

Buy socks on Amazon, not car parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Edycol and Dukedkt442 for the excellent posts!

Edycol, You hit the nail on the head with regards to one bad mouthing BMW's, it really depends on where that info or experience is coming from. It could be from a first time owner who's driven nothing but Honda's, Toyota's, etc, something very reliable, but plain Jane otherwise. So when things need to be replaced, all of a sudden it's a piece of garbage, and indeed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Duke, I appreciate your concern for my financial wellbeing. In actuality, I am a Ford guy and if I were to add one more vehicle to my list here, it would be an Edge Sport. If I may share a story with you (And the others) which has altered my way of thinking recently. Initially, I did consider an Escape, it's a good size for me and reliable, my Mother in Law has a Titanium Escape and my wife has an Explorer Sport. Neither were fans of Fords prior, but now they are as they both love their respective vehicles. One day, a co-worker asked me to lend him a hand with some electrical work (I'm an electrician) at the house he now owns due to his brother passing away (He was mid 60's I believe). After fixing the issue, he showed me around the place. We came to the living room where there were hundreds of dvds. He told me to help myself, so I began looking through them, about a third were still in their original wrapping/packaging. In the end, I walked about with a few good ones (Dukes of Hazzard 1st and 2nd season and a season of "In Living Color" :) On the way home, it dawned on me that when this guy bought those dvds, he said to himself, "Man, this is a good one, I can't wait to sit down one night, make some popcorn, put my feet up, and watch it". But, he never will watch any of those still wrapped dvds because he's gone. Then I thought about my car purchase. Hmm, I've been wanting a nice car ever since I sold my Mustang in '99. Since then I've driven ho hum vehicles for the sake of saving money for my retirement, to start a family, and buy a house, I call it "Delaying gratification". I use to wash and wax that car all the time, synthetics all around, maintain it and mod it; since then I haven't had anything nice enough to even bother to wax, haha!! Now, thankfully, at 49, I have all that, but each day is a day closer to my last, why not get something I want? I've had a desire for a sport/performance car for 23 years now, I don't need something practical, I don't particularly care if it has gets gas mileage, or even has a spare, I just don't want to replace an engine or trans at 100k :)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Doug, good to hear about removing spark plugs (In BMW's) while warm/hot, never heard of that, thanks.

JC-TX, Indeed, there are lots of x3's and x5's in my area, so they are not unique at all, but they do look sharp nonetheless, and stand out from most of the plain vanilla SUV's on the road. As noted though, the price in the ad was not accurate. When I inquired about the vehicle at the dealership, a salesman confessed that the real price was $30k and it's the practice of the dealer to deduct their "Dealer" fees from the listing price in order to get you in the door, and then when you show up, it's "Oh, but there's a $2k prep/dealer fee on top of the price in the ad". I'm thinking about trying Carvana out as they don't have such BS fees, thanks

Autoputzer and Llarry, I didn't know about the absence of a spare, that could be a deal breaker for some, thank you

Rich_Jenkins, Just curious as to why you believe the QX70 would be a better match for me, thanks!

The practice of advertising a lower price without a disclaimer in the ad (may be in tiny print) saying that dealer prep fees are additional is illegal. You should tell them that you’ll report them to the state attorney general unless they sell it to you for $28k.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello All!

We had a 1999 Infiniti I-30 sedan..... I was a nearly perfect car, when it had a practically maintenance-free life of 175,000 miles. Good power..... back in 2016 we bought an Infiniti QX 50.
We compared new car prices..... The Cadillac 'smaller' SUV, base model was $40,000. The full option version was a STUPID $60,000.
We really considered the Mercedes GLC 300... ( They had some dealer buyer's-test models , reduced by $8,000, but still quite pricey. ( I NEVER trust a Mercedes after warranty period $$$ ).

Back to the Infiniti QX-50..... Standard model was very well equipped at about $35,000. BUT full optioned was only another $2,000 !! And..... fabulous interior, V-6 injected with 325 HP, and the Nissan 370 Z suspension, and REAR WHEEL DRIVE. ( We chose the 'full optioned '. )

I liked the QX-70 body style, but it was another $10,000...... and it is EXACTLY the same car as the QX-50.
The Infiniti V-6 engine is considered one of the world's best / most reliable engines on the market. Reliable for 300,000 miles.

We have had ZERO issues with the car. It is real fun to drive. The "SUV" is a nice height.

FYI..... The newer version of the QX-50 is not the same car......The variable compression engine is problematic. It is a boring front-wheel drive. It is a bit bigger. Get the original QX-50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess I’ll be the one to say it: if a low $30k used car strains one’s finances, it’s the wrong vehicle. If simply paying for the vehicle takes up all the money, what about repairs to it, or when the house hot water tank explodes, or when the house needs a roof? No one should ever be indebted to a depreciating asset. There’s lots of folks going broke trying to look rich.

Going back to an F25 X3 puts you out of CPO realm, and brings with it the much more common disastrous N20 engine. Going back even further to E83 brings arguably more reliability, all else being equal, but also likely higher mileage, more necessary maintenance, and the hackery brought on by 3-4 or more owners that don’t know the difference between a Stilsen and a spanner. Don’t even think about buying one if you’re not willing to get your hands dirty and learn proper automotive repair procedures, as it’s getting old enough that some shops may refuse to work on it. I love mine, but also have a nearly fully equipped home shop in which to maintain it.

If your budget is low $30’s, I’ll suggest something NOT German, but the Ford Escape. My parents just replaced their ‘09 VW Tiguan, which was essentially a lifted GTI so it had the handling chops and fun EA888 engine, with a ‘22 Escape sport model. Stickered for $33k, and Ford knocked off another ~$3k with military/veterans discounts, which paid for the extended bumper-bumper warranty to 10 years and 100k miles. I can honestly say the Ford rides and handles better than both their VW and my E83, is as quick as both of them, and blows them both away on daily operating costs: the VW and E83 pull 25 and 28 highway mpg on AKI 91, but the Escape does 37 on AKI 87. Around town daily averages are 18, 19, and 26, resp.

Yes this is a BMW board, but the only thing I’m loyal to is my bank account. Luxury vehicles like BMWs, Lexuses, etc. are reserved for those who can afford to pay cash for them; once they hit the used market, they become just another heavy albatross. Buy what you’d like, but don’t discount that Escape, as it seems to tick your boxes, not break the bank, and offer the comfort that no one has ever sh1t their pants in the driver’s seat. If faced with the choice of a 50-100k mile used car or brand new with warranty for the same money, to me it’s a no-brainer.

The sold VW with 105k miles, sold for $8500 within 24 hrs of listing it.

The Ford replacement. I’m from a small town with only 2 dealers, a Ford and a Chrysler. So, ease of dealer visits also weighed heavily on their purchase, as they could drop it off and ride a bike or jog the 4 miles home if needed. It’s a damn nice vehicle IMO.

Buy socks on Amazon, not car parts.
This is the right idea.
The OP needs to forget 8 or 10 year old BMWs and get himself a new or late model Ford or GM product that will be wildly cheaper to maintain and run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned two Infiniti's. G35 & G37. Both bought new. Both were flawless and relatively inexpensive to maintain. I've owned a 550i since 2013. Only have 60,000 currently. Replaced rear brake pads at 32,000 miles $750, A/C thermostat $1,300 at 45,000 miles and turbo charger coolant hoses recently $2,200. Since I cant fix them myself, I take cars back to the dealer for repairs. I really liked my Infiniti's but the BMW is more fun to drive - smooth & powerful engine. I rented an x3 for two weeks while on vacation. It was a blast to drive. If your goal is dependability and low maintenance, I'd go with the Infiniti. If you want fun, performance, and advanced technology, go BMW. Another thing is transmissions. Most of the newer Infiniti's have CVT transmissions, which for me, is like driving a 55 Buick. The Infiniti engines are dependable but not as smooth as BMW. I'd rent both for a weekend before deciding.
Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've owned two Infiniti's. G35 & G37. Both bought new. Both were flawless and relatively inexpensive to maintain. I've owned a 550i since 2013. Only have 60,000 currently. Replaced rear brake pads at 32,000 miles $750, A/C thermostat $1,300 at 45,000 miles and turbo charger coolant hoses recently $2,200. Since I cant fix them myself, I take cars back to the dealer for repairs. I really liked my Infiniti's but the BMW is more fun to drive - smooth & powerful engine. I rented an x3 for two weeks while on vacation. It was a blast to drive. If your goal is dependability and low maintenance, I'd go with the Infiniti. If you want fun, performance, and advanced technology, go BMW. Another thing is transmissions. Most of the newer Infiniti's have CVT transmissions, which for me, is like driving a 55 Buick. The Infiniti engines are dependable but not as smooth as BMW. I'd rent both for a weekend before deciding.
Mike
If you really like BMW I would check out YouTube everyone here is giving you great advice, but if you can turn wrenches and like the saddest faction of working on cars BMW is the car to own but they are expensive to maintain . So go to YouTube ask the on the model you are at how reliable is it and you will find all your answer there and the list of thing that need to done . Preventative maintenance. Good luck

1 - 20 of 52 Posts