BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys bought my 2002 525i two months ago i wanna lower it a little bit but not too much cause im getting 19s soon i think oem sport springs would be a nice drop on 19s
if any one has stock oem springs pm please thanks :smokin:

·
Registered
865 Posts
just to give you a heads up, i did the same with my 2003 525i. i'm also running 20's on the rears.

the sport suspension will give you a great ride but the front will not be lowered much. i have 19x8.5 with 20 off-set on the front and have a 2 finger gap. it's some what better then the non-sport but could have been at least 1/4" lower. i might order 10mm spacer for the front wheels so that they sit just about under the fender lip. this might help as the tire will be near the lip.

if i had to do it again i think i would do the Vogtland springs with the stock sport struts/shocks. my car has one duty, to be the family car. it has to be smooth because it also drives on really bad roads.

good luck, Freddie

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Are you sure your 525 doesn't already have sport springs? I just replaced my stock sport springs with H&R's. I'll be happy to sell them to a bimmer bro but want to make sure you're not just replacing what you already have.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
A 525 standard suspension vs sport, has a ride height difference of 0.8 Front and 0.5 Rear.

Bentley pages 300-15 and 300-16

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
After years of hearing about the different aftermarket springs and having tried Eibachs I believe the best are H&R and Vogtland.

The Eibacks are no stiffer than OEM sports and the front goes down more than the rear which is a complaint of many that have them. Me too at one time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks guys im just looking to lower about an inch, and h&r and eibach drops it little too much in the front n i dont like the way it looks right now i have about three fingers gap all around about two fingers gap would be coo i think
hey mack i dont think its sport pakage and has chrome moldings around doors doesnt have 17s let me know how much u want for them or just pm me thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
check it out

i would check it out mate,
i also have silver window trim on my 2001 525i. and thought thus i have standard suspension,
i ended up buying "stock" replacement monroe shocks, then went to a bmw parts counter at a dealer
and gave em my vin number only to find out that the original owner ordered the car with m-sport suspension.

so i had to take the shocks i bought back to get a refund.

check it out.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
just my own opinion but the OEM sport drop with 19"s may leave you wanting more drop. I think 18" with OEM sport sits nice and clean. Aggressive wheels or 19"s need more drop.

I do have OEM sport springs from my old 530 (7K miles) sitting in my closet but shipping costs overseas would probably outweigh.

best to run your VIN through RealOEM and check if you are sport or standard - assuming previous owners have not changed.

I do recall that sport and non-sport had different paint markings on the coil. White for non-sport and yellow for sport if I remember correctly

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
just my own opinion but the OEM sport drop with 19"s may leave you wanting more drop. I think 18" with OEM sport sits nice and clean. Aggressive wheels or 19"s need more drop.
The ride ht is not affected by the wheel size. That is because the OD of the tire, not the wheel, stays close to the same.

Another way to look at it is, as the wheel size goes up the aspect ratio of the tire goes down. The sidewall ht goes down... 45, 35, 30, 25 all of them are percetage figures. They do not have units of measure, just a percentage.

Aspect ratio is a percentage of sidewall ht divide by the tire's cross sectional width all in millimeters You get numbers like 40, 35, 30 and even 25. They are the aspect ratios.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey frank you think oem sport spring would leave me two fingers gap with 19s
are they are any other springs that would lower it about an inch all around?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
hey frank you think oem sport spring would leave me two fingers gap with 19s
are they are any other springs that would lower it about an inch all around?
I couln't say for certain, there are too many variables in play

·
Registered
865 Posts
freeuser209
read post #2

for those that don't want a big drop but want it a little lower then stock sport susp look in to Vogtland springs i think they drop the front 1.2 and the rear 1.1

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The ride ht is not affected by the wheel size. That is because the OD of the tire, not the wheel, stays close to the same...
I wasn't inferring that wheel size impacts ride height.

In other words, on an OEM sport E39, 18's have a nice balance, 19's a little out of place unless the ride height is lower than OEM sport. This is my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts