1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2000 540iA M Sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2000 540iA M Sport
Mileage: 231K
Work Done: What HASN'T been done? (I'll explain if need be)
Battery Date: The shocker...It's stamped 13/10 (Genuine BMW Battery)

I've been reading till my eyeballs were bleeding, and I was looking for a general consensus on my aged battery (or a "uhhh, replace it now"). The car has no problems starting, driving, electrical load bearing, or anything...honestly drives pretty solid. About 3 weeks ago, I got a "Engine Failsafe Prog" on my display (w/ High Cluster).while just driving around town. Car seemed completely normal as i scooted home. No battery light, nothing different (sound, driveability, etc.)...just increased blood pressure. When I got home, restarted the car, no message. So I took it for an hour "country road drive" (about 40-50mph) parked it without any message. (OBD/DME code scanned with Foxwell NT510 Elite...came with the car...no new codes)

Metered the battery at the terminals after the drive:
@ Idle (550-600RPMs): 14.24V
@ Ignition off: 12.45V
Test 09: 13.9/14.0V @ Idle (550-600RPMs) ... 14.1/14.2V @ 1800-2000RPMs in 5th gear (Auto)

The next day and following days (for 3 weeks), I've been monitoring the battery voltage (at the terminals) after sitting roughly 12 hours and it's always between 12.3 and 12.45. From what I read, 12.4-12.6 is 75% Charge and 12.2-12.4 is 50% Charge. Test 09 always yields posted numbers above while driving. Alternator replaced 8/2017. The previous owner was a BMW dealer tech that owned the car since 2013. I have a stack of receipts thicker than the owner's manual. I realized, that day I only drove the car for about 20min of runtime and start/stop 4 times in that period, maybe that was the problem? A sign that the battery is starting to have difficult recovery after a hard drain?

I guess, this long story short, should I just eat it and buy a new battery? I don't want it to take the alternator out. Also, from information here, my OEM black battery is AGM (OEM white is non-AGM). If I stay with an AGM, I shouldn't need to register it, correct? (Also read IBS was introduced in E60 models) If I have to, should I trickle charge the battery to 100% so the DME recognizes it's full potential on first system check?

Attachments

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
YES, replace it. Otherwise you'll wear out the alternator. And no, there's no registration for E39 batteries. Plug-n-play.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,697 Posts
YES, replace it. Otherwise you'll wear out the alternator. And no, there's no registration for E39 batteries. Plug-n-play.
Load does not wear any alternator. The maximum AGM battery charging rate is 4 Amps. A BMW alternator is probably rated at 180 Amps.

An Intelligent Alternator System only charges the battery on overrun - trailing throttle or alternator spin-down on its sprag clutch. AT ALL OTHER TIMES THE ALTERNATOR IS ONLY MAINTAINING ACCESSORY LOADS.

Get a proper AGM battery CHARGER and charge IAW the charger manual and your BMW owners manual frequently and regularly. I use a CTEK 4.3 MUS weekly for about 5 AH - 10 AmpereHours.

Reactions: jaye944

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I agree with Cookie Monster. An alternative could be to buy a battery charger and see how the battery behaves. One of the best automotive service purchases I've ever made.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Why not just let it die, and put the car on a hook. That way, you'll have maximized the life of the battery. It won't be convenient, but, hey.

Reactions: Markst

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am not surprised by your battery life.
Keep the car out of extreme temps and keep it reasonably charged and 8 yrs is not unheard of.

I have battery life of 8 years twice with my non-AGM batteries.

I would get a new one, but I would not by an AGM battery. They are not bad, but are generally not worth the premium over wet batteries .

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Replace it, IMO. If you get one from BMW, it'll be about $500 or you can buy an AGM from RockAuto EXIDE MXH8L549 AGM; BCI Group: 49; CCA 850; 160 Reserve Capacity for $189.79 + shipping (they'll ship AGM ones) or a
DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H8, 900 CCA from Advanced for $220. Don't get stranded waiting on the old one to go dead. It's cause other electrical issues with electronics

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
AGM batteries require a higher voltage to fully charge them So I’d just but a conventional lead/acid flooded cell battery.
My last NAPA Legend battery lasted 12 years using a smart charger maybe once a week or when I thought of it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Napa Legend, best battery for the money. Bought one for $112.00 about 2 years ago.
That was a great price- even then.......today it is $150 + 18 core
I like the Everstart Maxx from Walmart...with a fresh date code.

I have seen Exide's at Home Depot (which are cheaper) with date codes more than a year old

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Could his $112 price be because the 528 uses a different group battery (lower CCA) than a 540?
I also paid about $150 for mine Last summer.
The HD I frequent has a large display rack of Exide batteries, I never see anyone buying or looking at them.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It was Oct. 2019, $112.00 sale price, shopped around and found what I wanted.
Napa Legend wet cell battery
Group #49
900 CCA
Currently priced at $149.99 which I think was the same price 2 years ago (non-sale price) of course.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Wow, big markup over the border. Are you close to the US, get one here.

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
Home Depot Exide 94R is $129.00.
Great battery.
Walmart Battery is currently made by Exide.
Exide was an original mfg for BMW...

·
What Speed Limit?
2,679 Posts
Yeah the Exides at my local Home Depot have about an inch layer of dust on them lol.

I put a Autocraft AGM from Advance Auto in my M5 last April that was only 2 months old at the time. Not a single issue so far. Was just before Advance switched to Diehard, which are good batteries too.

I mean lets get real here. All batteries are made by 2 companies, so what you chose is not going to be a big issue. The only ones I ever had problems with was Walmarts batteries. They would always crap out after a year or so, hence the nickname "Neverstart" lol.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 198 K milesmiles
1,918 Posts
I second the "Napa Legend wet cell battery", at any price.
Most important, buy also a battery charge/maintainer if you do not already have one.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,017 Posts
Full fielding can absolutely damage an alternator which is why repair instructions want a battery charged to full capacity before starting the vehicle the first time after replacement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts