BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Anyone know where to buy these wheels (See picture):

I know they are BBS #42 OEM Wheels (17 inch Rim), 7.5-inch width).
Is anyone selling these wheels that I can buy? I am willing to import from Germany if anyone has the connection.
Let me know what you all think.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Here is a photo of the exact ones I am seeking on a Z3:
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Links to similar wheels:
BMW Factory 17 BBS #42 OEM Wheels E39 E46 E36 E32 E34 E28 M5 E30 M3 Z3 E38 Style | eBay
17x7.5 BBS Wheels for Sale in 6 Colors | Fitment Industries

·
Registered
20 Posts
The style 42 wheels were used on several BMW models, and come in different widths in 17” size. I have them on my 2.8 Z3. For the non-M Zs, you have to pay attention to the offsets. The Z applications were 7.5” on the front and 8.5” wide on the back, as I recall. The offsets are aound 40. The 3 and 5 series applications used offsets of about 20. There is a set of these used on the Washington DC Craigslist right now and they are 7.5 wide. Not sure how the 20 offset will work with a square setup on the Z. You need a little more research before you order anything. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The style 42 wheels were used on several BMW models, and come in different widths in 17” size. I have them on my 2.8 Z3. For the non-M Zs, you have to pay attention to the offsets. The Z applications were 7.5” on the front and 8.5” wide on the back, as I recall. The offsets are aound 40. The 3 and 5 series applications used offsets of about 20. There is a set of these used on the Washington DC Craigslist right now and they are 7.5 wide. Not sure how the 20 offset will work with a square setup on the Z. You need a little more research before you order anything. Good luck!
The sheet says 45 in the front and 40 in the rear, also yes the 7.5 and 8.5 does apply to my z3.0. What does “square setup” mean?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Square means same width front and rear whether wheel width, tire width, or both. Example, on 4 7.5 width wheels, running 4 225-45-17 tires. "Staggered" means fronts and rears are different (wider in the rear for different width tires; i.e., 225-45-17 fronts, 245-40-17 in the rear for our cars)
Checking, I found the following for the 17" wheels.
Z3 spec - 17x7.5 et 41mm
Z3 spec - 17x8.5 et 41mm
e39 spec - 17x8 et 20mm
e39 spec - 17x9 et 26mm
Don't confuse the 45 and 40 on the tire size with the ET offset of the wheels. This affects the back-spacing from the inner face of the wheel-- how far to the fender lip and how close the inner rim is to the control arms, shocks, struts, etc. Offset can also affect tire rubbing on inner fender wells during turning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Square means same width front and rear whether wheel width, tire width, or both. Example, on 4 7.5 width wheels, running 4 225-45-17 tires. "Staggered" means fronts and rears are different (wider in the rear for different width tires; i.e., 225-45-17 fronts, 245-40-17 in the rear for our cars)
Z3 spec - 17x7.5 et 41mm
Z3 spec - 17x8.5 et 41mm
e39 spec - 17x8 et 20mm
e39 spec - 17x9 et 26mm
Don't confuse the 45 and 40 on the tire size with the ET offset of the wheels. This affects the back-spacing from the inner face of the wheel-- how far to the fender lip and how close the inner rim is to the control arms, shocks, struts, etc. Offset can also affect tire rubbing on inner fender wells during turning.
Thanks for the info! a lot of this, except backspacing, doesn't apply to jeeps which is my only knowledge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Z3 spec - 17x7.5 et 41mm
Z3 spec - 17x8.5 et 41mm
e39 spec - 17x8 et 20mm
e39 spec - 17x9 et 26mm
Quick question, Can you run 8.5 inch wide tires on 7.5 inch wide rims? On jeeps we run 12.5 inch wide tires on 8 inch wide rims all the time. Ballon Tires/sidewall

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quick question, Can you run 8.5 inch wide tires on 7.5 inch wide rims? On jeeps we run 12.5 inch 40o tires on 8 inch wide rims all the time. Balloon Tires/sidewall
Respect your jeep experience, but this is a sports car, with emphasis on handling. You want the tire to be matched to the wheel to minimize sidewall flex. Not sure from your comment above whether you appreciate backspacing on these cars. The offset of the wheel matters a lot. If it's wrong, the inner rim of the barrel may not clear the suspension component, or the outer rim may push the wheel too far outside the fender lip and affect turning radius. For a 7.5 inch wheel, backspacing for 20 offset is 5.03". For a 40 offset, it's 5.82. So, for a front wheel, the tire would be .79 closer to the fender lip. Depending on the way the tire is made and size, may not matter on your car, especially if it is not lowered. For the rear 8.5 inch wheels, offset of 20 is 5.28 vs 6.07 for 40. Rears shouldn't matter as much as some even run spacers to push the rears out more flush.
Now your tire question. Quick answer is "not recommended". You can mount them, but it's not what the tire or the car needs. I pulled this from Tire Rack specs for a Michelin in our recommended tire sizes Look at the tread width, and wheel sizes.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

The 245-40-17 is only 8.3 wide, and they recommend a minimum of 8" width. As a general rule, you can go up one size on a given wheel, but depends on the tires. I've found a lot of variance in tread widths and shape over the years. So a 235-45-17 might work, it might be too large on a stock wheel, esp if the car is lowered. Hope all this helps.

BTW, I learned about offsets the hard way years ago. I had a beautiful 240Z I autocrossed and a Datsun 510 2-door that was a street/rally car. This was in the mid-70s, and wheel choices weren't great. I bought a set of aluminum slots in the right size and bolt pattern but didn't know about offsets. They had a nice deep dish and lip. Mounted new fat tires on them and put them on the car. Great in the rear, but I could only turn about 2/3 of of the way before the tire started to rub the inner fenderwell. I had to do some creative fenderwell modifications with a hammer, and parking was always interesting after that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Respect your jeep experience, but this is a sports car, with emphasis on handling. You want the tire to be matched to the wheel to minimize sidewall flex. Not sure from your comment above whether you appreciate backspacing on these cars. The offset of the wheel matters a lot. If it's wrong, the inner rim of the barrel may not clear the suspension component, or the outer rim may push the wheel too far outside the fender lip and affect turning radius. For a 7.5 inch wheel, backspacing for 20 offset is 5.03". For a 40 offset, it's 5.82. So, for a front wheel, the tire would be .79 closer to the fender lip. Depending on the way the tire is made and size, may not matter on your car, especially if it is not lowered. For the rear 8.5 inch wheels, offset of 20 is 5.28 vs 6.07 for 40. Rears shouldn't matter as much as some even run spacers to push the rears out more flush.
Now your tire question. Quick answer is "not recommended". You can mount them, but it's not what the tire or the car needs. I pulled this from Tire Rack specs for a Michelin in our recommended tire sizes Look at the tread width, and wheel sizes.
View attachment 1041561
The 245-40-17 is only 8.3 wide, and they recommend a minimum of 8" width. As a general rule, you can go up one size on a given wheel, but depends on the tires. I've found a lot of variance in tread widths and shape over the years. So a 235-45-17 might work, it might be too large on a stock wheel, esp if the car is lowered. Hope all this helps.

BTW, I learned about offsets the hard way years ago. I had a beautiful 240Z I autocrossed and a Datsun 510 2-door that was a street/rally car. This was in the mid-70s, and wheel choices weren't great. I bought a set of aluminum slots in the right size and bolt pattern but didn't know about offsets. They had a nice deep dish and lip. Mounted new fat tires on them and put them on the car. Great in the rear, but I could only turn about 2/3 of of the way before the tire started to rub the inner fenderwell. I had to do some creative fenderwell modifications with a hammer, and parking was always interesting after that.
thanks for the experience. The offsets are also important on jeeps for the reason being the tire is so wide that the steering stops have to be adjusted aka less steering to turn or even rubbing in the inner fenders. I planned on getting the Micheline Pilot Sport a/s 3+ for my BMW. I will never lower my car ever. I plan on sticking to 17 inch rims never going to 18 inch. I did not mean to ignore the backspacing I just want to be close to factory as possible like If I could just buy the wheels above from a z3 and put them onto mine. My bmw has the other upgrade wheels with 7.5 front and 8.5 rear. I want to keep everything factory but with the other z3 wheels. That's my aim, maintain and factory. As a jeep person I am use to using Inches for tire sizes and backspacing and everything so going metric is expected but another learning curve. It is going to take some luck to get these different wheels widths for the front and rear with backspacing measurements of 41mm
Z3 spec - 17x7.5 et 41mm
Z3 spec - 17x8.5 et 41mm
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Translation of picture:
BMW alloy wheels.
Cross-spoke styling No. 42, bolted on, with 7.5J x 17 front mixed tires 225/45 / r17 tires. rear 8.5 j x 17 Tires 245/40 r 17 /

cerchi in lega BMW.
Styling a raggi incrociati n 42, avvitati, con pneumatici misti anterioti 7.5J x 17 Pneumatici 225/45/r17. posteriori 8.5 j x 17 Pneumatici 245/40 r 17/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
, you have to pay attention to the offsets. The Z applications were 7.5” on the front and 8.5” wide on the back, as I recall. Th
For a 40 offset, it's 5.82. So, for a front wheel, the tire would be .79 closer to the fender lip.
Wanted to make sure, your saying I can run spacer on the rear,(20mm spacer probably if its a 20mm wheel) But is it possible to run 20 mm spacer on the front or is their something in the way? I don't know IFS, again jeeps have solid axles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wanted to make sure, your saying I can run spacer on the rear,(20mm spacer probably if its a 20mm wheel) But is it possible to run 20 mm spacer on the front or is their something in the way? I don't know IFS, again jeeps have solid axles.
Think about what's going on here. 40mm offset is your baseline. Going 20 offset (these are negative offsets, by the way) moves the tire out about .8". On my stock wheel with the Michelin AS3+s on it, I'm almost flush with the fender lip top outer edge already. Adding a 20mm spacer will push the wheel out another .8". Tire outer edge may be outside the front fender lip a total of 1.6"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the wheels on eBay used perfect offsets and widths for 1400, no dents just minor damage. Thanks for the help fig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts