Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am looking into getting myself a CPO 650xi convertible. From what I have seen from the post on this forum I have to stay away from 2012 model year vehicles. Also considering the later MY cars had a lot of upgrades as the base model.

Is it better to get a CPO or just get an extended warranty from dealership? Sorry for the noob question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say 2015 650i it has the facelift and the interior system upgrades.
If you can find one CPO to me it makes the process easier when something goes wrong, but doesn't necessarily mean CPO cars are better.

·
Registered
314 Posts
CPO is only a year now, so most 15s will be getting near the end. Mine expires in June. On a 14 it was still 2 years, so a 14 may actually extend longer. So a dealer warranty, while expensive, may be necessary anyway unless you buy a '16 or '17.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Yardney: Do you think skipping the CPO Vehicle and just getting the dealer warranty would be a good idea? I was thinking of getting a CPO and then getting the dealer warranty. But that doesn't make any sense if i am getting the dealer warranty anyways.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would get the car you want, rather than focus on whether it's CPO. Of all the cars for sale, only a small number are CPO. I would not sacrifice my interior or exterior color choice, or even options, to get CPO. I got my '15 last April, and was glad it had a few months of warranty and a year of CPO just so I had a shakedown period. So far it has needed (1) coding to keep the emergency call system from activating, (2) new rear glass because 2 of 4 defroster wires failed, (3) an entire new shifter mechanism (not just the knob) because the little green light that shows the gear selected went out intermittently, and (4) 2, yes 2, new iDrive controllers, because they got suddenly stiff in spots. So yeah, it was nice all of that was free.

However, you need to make sure what any warranty you buy covers. Even CPO is nowhere near as good as the factory warranty, lots of exclusions, but still pretty good. I do not know how CPO compares to what you pay for separately.

Having said all of that, I am not a person who ever buys aftermarket warranties on anything ever. And I'm still waiting for the first time that I regret it. I am many thousands of dollars ahead of the game. So if I need a new transmission someday, so be it. Just don't buy into the hype that "these are expensive, complex cars and the warranty will absolutely pay for itself." It's amazing how many people say that, regardless of the car at issue. It's nonsense. It might, of course, but as a general proposition the odds that you will have a repair that exceeds the warranty price are small. Otherwise nobody would sell the polices, or they would be way more expensive. So I'd bank the money the warranty costs and use it if necessary. It helps that I can do a lot of my own work, but I still would not buy a warranty even if I couldn't.

·
Registered
314 Posts
@Yardney: Do you think skipping the CPO Vehicle and just getting the dealer warranty would be a good idea? I was thinking of getting a CPO and then getting the dealer warranty. But that doesn't make any sense if i am getting the dealer warranty anyways.
And this does not necessarily make no sense. I assume you would set it up so the dealer warranty does not start until the CPO expires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 2015 650IX convertivble, with most of the options, MSRP was 107k. Each year, it needed new cameras, and wiring harnesses. Took 4 days, and I'm sure thousands of dollars, if I had to pay. Was done 3 times, warranty would be up in March. With this history, I had decided, I wouldn't keep the car, without a warranty. To get a BMW extended warranty, for another 3 years, up to 100,000 miles, would have cost $8,000. I had 45,000 miles on the car, had enjoyed it, but it's gone now, replaced by a 2019 E53 Convertible. I have to admit, that there are a few things I miss in the new car, but so many things that I think MB did better. The overall size of the MB is smaller, but interior front and rear legroom, significantly better. Steering feel, so much better, and the exhaust sound.............well, no comparison. With the straight 6/turbo, with electric preboost, identical 0-60, although I think the seat of the pants favors the Benz. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 2015+ 650IX, but make sure you have proper warranty coverage. And the depreciation is huge, you can pick one up for a fraction of the MSRP, with low miles. I know, I've been checking, just because..............
I don't regret buying the car, or even the depreciation, if my particular car, had been trouble free, in my almost 4 years of ownership, I'd still have it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@rpm217 Was your 2015 650xi with the new changes(Integrated turn signals in mirror,Adaptive full-LED headlights) ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Yardney I will look into what the CPO covers and compare it with extended warranty and pricing. Thank you so much. You have been really helpful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the LED adaptive headlights, the turn signals were not in the mirror, but they were on the side of the car. I had the M appearance package, and almost every other option!

·
Registered
314 Posts
@rpm217 Was your 2015 650xi with the new changes(Integrated turn signals in mirror,Adaptive full-LED headlights) ?
I'm sure there is a list somewhere of how the 2015s changed over the 2014s. The main things you will notice inside are that the cluster changed from actual actual needles to animated needles. The whole cluster is new, and also the iDrive controller is much larger - it has an integrated touch pad. Outside, I have no idea what's different, if anything. The mirror turn signals started in 2016. The other thing you will notice inside on a 2016 is the NAV screen is upgraded. It's not an inset typical LCD screen, but is a flush glassy looking panel. Frankly, until I drove one I'd be a bit concerned it would be too reflective in a convertible. Also in 2016, anything but black leather has small black leather accent panels in the seats. I don't care for that look on ivory seats.

Just make sure you understand what options there are (there are online lists you can print), and then decode the VIN fro any car you are looking at. Although option packages that include things like the ceramic knobs are optional, 99.9% of cars have those packages. The most common differentiator is the stereo system - HK vs. the optional B&O. Then you get into the rarer options, like active sway bars, night vision, and adaptive cruise control. I've yet to see a 2015 with adaptive cruise control. Mine has the sway bars and night vision, but I never saw another with either when I was shopping. Then there is the weird massaging seat option. Mostly useful to show people how weird it is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine may be a bit older (a 2013 650i vert) but kinda the same experience you can apply. I got mine after 2yr lease with 23K mi.. I paid almost exactly 50% of new sticker. I got 2yr CPO at purchase. Last fall the CPO ran out and I purchased extended service contract from the BMW dealer to get another 3yr of coverage for $4100 (its actually an Allstate contract, but dealer stands behind it). In the time I've had it (I now have 31,000 mi on the car) CPO paid for a heated seat element replace and some fuel valves/hose replaced back at the fuel tank when a check engine light came on (that would have been $1500 without warranty). Otherwise the car has been perfect.

I'm not one to purchase extended warranties, but this one just seemed like I should have it if I intend to keep it another 3 yr. at that point it will be 8yr old with about 45K miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after a lot of research, the cars I have liked so far are priced like this. I am debating with myself on what price to offer to the dealership.

2015 BMW 6-SERIES 650I XDRIVE-17,670 miles for 49k

https://www.bmwofbarrington.com/used-Barrington-2015-BMW-6+Series-650i+xDrive-WBAYP1C58FD216852

2015 BMW 6-SERIES 650I XDRIVE-33,000 Miles-44k

https://www.atlantacargurus.com/detail-2015-bmw-6_series-650i_xdrive-used-17922562.html

https://www.bmwofbarrington.com/used-Barrington-2015-BMW-6+Series-650i+xDrive-WBAYP1C58FD216852

·
Registered
98 Posts
go for the white one(I like the M options) and as a min knock $5K off the asking price. I like the idea the car is being sold at a BMW dealer vs the other one. Carfax does indicate some collision damage so that would be an added bargaining chip. Plus I would ask for more details on that collision, cosmetic or structural? When I got my 2013 in 2016 BMW dealer was asking $57K I got it for $52K with 23K mi. and sticker was $106K

·
Registered
314 Posts
Since one is in Illinois and one Georgia, you apparently don't car about travelling or shipping, so what made you decide on these two? They are basically the same car except the white one has the better stereo and the 20" wheels. The 20" wheels were about a $2,000 option, but give a harsher ride if you stick withe the run flat tires. The tan top is rare.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 2015 650IX convertivble, with most of the options, MSRP was 107k. Each year, it needed new cameras, and wiring harnesses. Took 4 days, and I'm sure thousands of dollars, if I had to pay. Was done 3 times, warranty would be up in March. With this history, I had decided, I wouldn't keep the car, without a warranty. To get a BMW extended warranty, for another 3 years, up to 100,000 miles, would have cost $8,000. I had 45,000 miles on the car, had enjoyed it, but it's gone now, replaced by a 2019 E53 Convertible. I have to admit, that there are a few things I miss in the new car, but so many things that I think MB did better. The overall size of the MB is smaller, but interior front and rear legroom, significantly better. Steering feel, so much better, and the exhaust sound.............well, no comparison. With the straight 6/turbo, with electric preboost, identical 0-60, although I think the seat of the pants favors the Benz. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 2015+ 650IX, but make sure you have proper warranty coverage. And the depreciation is huge, you can pick one up for a fraction of the MSRP, with low miles. I know, I've been checking, just because..............
I don't regret buying the car, or even the depreciation, if my particular car, had been trouble free, in my almost 4 years of ownership, I'd still have it.

How would you say the legroom is on your Benz? I’m 6’3 and looking for a vert with legroom that I can drive straight legged.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
62 Posts
How would you say the legroom is on your Benz? I***8217;m 6***8217;3 and looking for a vert with legroom that I can drive straight legged.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Significantly more front seat leg room in the Benz than the 650IX. In the BMW, I had the seat back all the way (I'm 5'10.5") and I'd have like to put it back further and couldn't. On the E53 (any E convertible would be the same), I have it just where I like it, and there's at least another of 6" I could move back further, if I wanted. Plus, the rear seat leg room is good, with the front seat passenger not having to put their knees in their mouth. More comfort all around!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts