BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 530 has a slightly larger engine, but can you feel the difference? The 1999 had 58k and a 10/100k warranty while the 2002 has 80k on it already (I don't know how much of a warranty I could get). I know the 2002 has navigation, but no heated seats, no performance / sport package. I've yet to get the full details of the 1999, I'm going to look at it today. Are there any problems with either of the years?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I've had both, 5-speed manual, and I prefer the 2002 530i over the 528i by a huge margin. I was very hesitant to sell the 528i and go for the 530i because I absolutely loved the 528i, but after taking delivery of the 530i I couldn't have been happier with my decision. Both cars were equipped exactly the same except my 530i was ordered with Nav and no fold-down seats.

The extra power of the 530i is very noticeable, it doesn't seem like much on paper, but it makes the car just that much more fun to drive. I think the steering in the 530i is different, quicker response than the 528i. The M5 steering wheel is awesome compared to the sport wheel on the 528i, much thicker and gives you the feel you're driving something more substantial.

I opted for the non-fold rear seats in the 530i and they're much more comfortable than the fold-down versions, deeper bucket. I also think the non-dsp sound system in the 530i was better, not sure why, it's pretty much the same, but it seemed to have more bass.

Problems I had with the 530i, seat click on the driver sport seat. Pretty much was there in one form or another since the car was new, last November they finally agreed to replace the seat base and it's been click-free ever since. I had the radio module replaced, huge improvement in FM reception. I had the front control arm bushings replaced due to clanking sounds, quiet as a mouse now. I also had the rear window regulators replaced.

On the 528i the only warranty issues I had were the flashing MID and the thermostat. I prefered the functionality of the fog lights on the 528i to the ones on the 530i, but I like the updated front end on the 530i with angel eyes and round fogs much better. The 530i uses a little oil, maybe a quart every 8-10k miles, the 528i never needed a drop. Rain sensing windshield wipers in the 530i kick ass, one of my favorite features EVER in a car, along with the auto-dim rear view mirror. The 530i also came with UGDO as part of the premium pkg, nice addition.

Both are great, but IMO the 530i is better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts