BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was warned by an indie to change the oil and filter every 5000 miles in my 2016 SDrive with turbo, not 7500 like my E70, or 12000 miles like BMW recommends.

ZF Transmission filter and fluid every 75k miles. Real time traffic and connected drive is over with the demise of older cellphone technology.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Don't you have an E70 already? The F15 is pretty much an LCI-on-steroids from the E70, IMHO. New sheet-metal; same basic vehicle concept. Except for the PHEV 40e (which was revolutionary), F15 was a sensible evolution of the E70 which I believe came from the same production line, same people, same parts bins.

The E70/F15 issues are similar. I'd frankly be more worried about the individual unit than about the F15 line overall.

The recurring serious complaints in this forum are the A pillar sunroof drain clogging in some geographies and the V8 being inappropriate for years of grocery-getting. But, again, those are common complaints across a lot of BMW vehicle types.

·
F30 Driver
2018 BMW X5 (F15) xDrive35i
108 Posts
Go CPO (Certified Pre Owned) if you can. Like others have said, the F15 is a very well-engineered vehicle. The folks at Spartanburg really know what they're doing, having assembled X5's since the E53 debuted in 1999. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, change the oil sooner. I do every 5k as well especially with shorter driving distances and always change before towing and typically I send it in shortly after.

I will probably do tranny at 60-70k as well, but my indie who owns multiple cars with the zf tranny said not to worry about it if not abusing it. So thats up to you.

Spark plugs coil packs around 70k is pretty normal.

control arms/ball joints will typically go between 50k and 70k depending on the roads the car was on.

Thats about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As an original owner, I went 160,000 kms before I had issues with the controller arm. My mechanic says this is a common problem and I went longer than normal. He also recommends changing the oil more frequently and stay within the ll4 certification. It's a fun truck to drive! Good luck in your search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts