Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
I think most people that own the X1 love it. To each their own of course.

Regarding the CPO question... Think of it like a stamp of approval by the mechanic - every car that comes in to the dealership is inspected and then the dealer has a question: "can I get more money for it if I certify it, or will it cost more to maintain later?"

Basically - the mechanic gives the report and the managers then decide if it's worth it. If it's not certified it almost sounds like they think the may be a big problem with it in the near future.

Keep in mind I don't work in this area but from what I've read and what would seem logical, I wouldn't buy a relatively new car without CPO.

Plus these cars aren't exactly problematic, but one issue they've had is transfer case failures - not particularly frequent, but sufficiently so.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If that's the case you might well get a WRX wagon if they still make those. For the price you get more value.

The contrast for a base bimmer and a reasonably optioned out one is drastic. I recently had a 2016 3-series loaner. Pretty basic except iDrive. Leatherette, halogen and base speakers. Add to it the numb overboosted Corolla-inspired steering wheel.... Yuck. Was so happy to return it. I guess with the e84, you still get the sensational driver-oriented steering wheel. sDrive excluded.
Did the sDrive have a different steering wheel than xDrive? I've never seen one in person to know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are we talking about the wheel only, or the steering feel as well? I dunno about the normal sDrive vs xDrive, but the MSport model has a unique wheel. I would think it might be more of a concern to some that sDrive has electric steering vs. hydrolic in the xDrive? Msport might have other differences in steering, as well as Sport mode. It's all very confusing! Not sure about the X1, but I did read that the Minis have a heavier steering in Sport mode; I did test drive a Mini Cooper, and the difference in Sport mode was subtle, but definitely was there. In my old Golf TDI, Sport mode only influenced the transmission shift points -- the steering remained the same.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did the sDrive have a different steering wheel than xDrive? I've never seen one in person to know.
It's not the steering wheel design.
The sDrive version is only EPS.
xDrive x28i and 35i is hydraulic. Servotronic is an option for 28i and might be std for 35i.

Reason for EPS is to save more gas for BMW. The xDrive models didn't provide enough space for the EPS system. Maybe to do with the front diff? Hence no EPS for xDrive. Yay!

It's a preference thing. Too loosey goosey for my taste. EPS is not inherently vague or numb feeling. BMW are poorly implemented it. They should ask Mazda how to do a proper EPS.

CPO is a good idea but understand that the 6-year warranty is based on the initial "In Service date" of the car. So if your MY2013 X1 was pressed into service say in 2012... then the CPO warranty is until 2018. Also CPO may not apply to newish models with remaining factory warranties. BMW dealers tack on CPO on low mileage cars.

For the most part X1 is a reliable car with one area of concern - Timing Chain for the N20 engine. Failure of that piece = Engine KABOOM! I think BMW has redesigned the plastic housing and chain in 2015. My advice is when you find the right X1, open up the oil cap and peer inside to check the chain and housing. If there are score marks and old brownish housing, request for dealership to replace them prior to buying the car.

·
Registered
394 Posts
LOL. I know all that. You said "steering wheel", when it sounds like you meant "steering FEEL". :)

It's not the steering wheel design.
The sDrive version is only EPS.
xDrive x28i and 35i is hydraulic. Servotronic is an option for 28i and might be std for 35i.

Reason for EPS is to save more gas for BMW. The xDrive models didn't provide enough space for the EPS system. Maybe to do with the front diff? Hence no EPS for xDrive. Yay!

It's a preference thing. Too loosey goosey for my taste. EPS is not inherently vague or numb feeling. BMW are poorly implemented it. They should ask Mazda how to do a proper EPS.

CPO is a good idea but understand that the 6-year warranty is based on the initial "In Service date" of the car. So if your MY2013 X1 was pressed into service say in 2012... then the CPO warranty is until 2018. Also CPO may not apply to newish models with remaining factory warranties. BMW dealers tack on CPO on low mileage cars.

For the most part X1 is a reliable car with one area of concern - Timing Chain for the N20 engine. Failure of that piece = Engine KABOOM! I think BMW has redesigned the plastic housing and chain in 2015. My advice is when you find the right X1, open up the oil cap and peer inside to check the chain and housing. If there are score marks and old brownish housing, request for dealership to replace them prior to buying the car.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sport mode does not change the steering in the X1- just the shift points for the automatic. Honestly, I never use it. 8 speeds is almost too many anyway. Sport mode does feel like you're going faster- it only holds the gears for too long. Sport mode was essential in my auto e90, but it only had 6 speeds.

Are we talking about the wheel only, or the steering feel as well? I dunno about the normal sDrive vs xDrive, but the MSport model has a unique wheel. I would think it might be more of a concern to some that sDrive has electric steering vs. hydrolic in the xDrive? Msport might have other differences in steering, as well as Sport mode. It's all very confusing! Not sure about the X1, but I did read that the Minis have a heavier steering in Sport mode; I did test drive a Mini Cooper, and the difference in Sport mode was subtle, but definitely was there. In my old Golf TDI, Sport mode only influenced the transmission shift points -- the steering remained the same.

·
Registered
523 Posts
X1 s28i EPS

I ordered a s28i with only Msport, and miss nothing.

The power steering is so light that I was nearly clipping cars turning right to park.

Also, car had some kind of sway at high speeds that made it nearly undrivable above 120mph.

I fixed both problems with 12mm BMS front spacers only.

That made steering feel properly firm, no sway up to top out (145 adjusted real speed), and no funny tire wear.

I don't drive at night much, so don't care that it's only Halogen lamps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I ordered a s28i with only Msport, and miss nothing.
Ah, this is what I wanted to hear. ;-)

The power steering is so light that I was nearly clipping cars turning right to park.

Also, car had some kind of sway at high speeds that made it nearly undrivable above 120mph.

I fixed both problems with 12mm BMS front spacers only.

That made steering feel properly firm, no sway up to top out (145 adjusted real speed), and no funny tire wear.
Huh. I would have thought spacers would have been only visual.

I don't drive at night much, so don't care that it's only Halogen lamps.
I miss the xenons I had in my Acura. (Standard!) They would light up the night. Most halogens just don't work as well. I've been using Philips Power Xtreme (or equivalent) in a couple of cars, and it's an improvement. :dunno:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Spacers are considered a tool to tweak suspension at the track especially in Porsche forums.

The actual track of the X1 can vary depending on the offset of wheels you pick, but the front is already 1.1 inch shorter than rear.

When discussing how car feels many people have different setup so end up talking in circles.

For instance my 355M wheel package with 8x18 and 9x18 wheels has 30 offset for front and 41 for rears.

Another wheel in 8x19 and 9x19 has 37 and 39 offset so 1 inch wider rears act like nearly 4 wheels alike.

Most people put 12mm on front and then 15mm on rears FOR LOOKS, but it still only makes the rear track even wider.

The final result for my setup is that the rear track is 3mm wider on both sides for good stability.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I miss the xenons I had in my Acura. (Standard!) They would light up the night. Most halogens just don't work as well. I've been using Philips Power Xtreme (or equivalent) in a couple of cars, and it's an improvement. :dunno:
Once you go HIDs, it is hard return to halogens. Once you go adaptive LEDs, it's hard to go to HIDs.

You are probably aware that slapping aftermarket HIDs in a halogen housing is not only illegal but is bad for nearby drivers. The reflective housing will just disperse the bright light everywhere.

The X1 with Lighting package has Adaptive HIDs. It's pretty good and crazy bright though not as awesome as the latest intelligent LEDs in top spec BMWs. Besides, the corona rings are a BMW signature.

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
Once you go HIDs, it is hard return to halogens. Once you go adaptive LEDs, it's hard to go to HIDs.

You are probably aware that slapping aftermarket HIDs in a halogen housing is not only illegal but is bad for nearby drivers. The reflective housing will just disperse the bright light everywhere.

The X1 with Lighting package has Adaptive HIDs. It's pretty good and crazy bright though not as awesome as the latest intelligent LEDs in top spec BMWs. Besides, the corona rings are a BMW signature.
+1 on the HID bulbs in a reflective housing... Makes me want to smash the lights of drivers that do that. Unfortunately local police don't do anything about it.

The adaptive HIDs are really nice - threw me first time I saw the beam of light turn.

And I'm thinking I'll skip LEDs - waiting for the laser lights to be more mainstream :-D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, for my last car I was driving, that's why I got those Philips bulbs -- still regular halogen bulbs, just about the brightest you can get and still be "legal". They were an improvement over stock, to be sure. I will probably do the same with the X1, and at least make the best of it.

I realize I'll be missing on a lot of the luxury features, but this one has a lot of features where it counts. Hopefully, I'll like it as much as 0w40x1. I'll curse the manual seat adjustments, but once set, I shouldn't need to change it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you are the sole driver then yeah manual seat adjustment is A-OK. Less things to break! My wife and I both drive the X1 and memory seat function with CA is important to our sanity. For some reason finding the perfect seat configuration for me is difficult on the X1. Not sure why, never had such problems with previous cars.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've heard people curse the stock X1 seats, but the MSport seats I have are about as perfect as possible.

Yes, they are manual, but can be adjusted many different ways, and it has electric bolster for back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK, I managed to pick up my 2013 X1 MSport. It has MSport, and not much else extra. ;-)

When I first tried setting the seating position, it took me a while. It is kind of odd, but I think I have it. But I can see if it were changed, it might take a while to get it back to where it was... if I could ever get there again! ;-)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Beautiful BMW color, my favorite wheel combo, and M Sport.

Now if you have the Pirelli P7 summer tires you'll be amazed at traction especially in that Florida rain.

Yeah, the seats are something else; bottom seat goes up and down, and front of seat tips up and down, then it goes front to back, and reclines.

It takes awhile to learn the recline lever instead of lowering seat.

·
Registered
394 Posts
OK, I managed to pick up my 2013 X1 MSport. It has MSport, and not much else extra. ;-)

When I first tried setting the seating position, it took me a while. It is kind of odd, but I think I have it. But I can see if it were changed, it might take a while to get it back to where it was... if I could ever get there again! ;-)

Beautiful! This is the best exterior combo for the x1, I believe. I think the x1 looks better when its not trying to look like an SUV.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah, it looks a lot more like a "hot hatch". A bit of lowering, and it'd be perfect. But the color and sport body kit really do give it a sportier look. If you had asked me before, which would I rather have -- a "convenience package" (or whatever luxury items) or the MSport package, I would choose the MSport, so I feel fortunate to find this one. None of the other used ones I found locally had it, as I recall (or if they did, not in my price/mileage range). This just seems like a unicorn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
OH yeah, I can run summer tires all year long! :-D Er, I might shop high performance all-seasons -- I kind of liked the Bridgestones I had on my previous car. Anyway, I'll have to do some reading up on runflats. :-/

·
Registered
523 Posts
You've got the right car, and if you put something like Michelin PSS tires on next time you'll have nearly the best in rain and dry.

No reason for you to put No season tires on.

Several summer performance tires including Continental DW are better in rain than All Seasons.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts