BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Looking to buy, have some Q's

2600 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  jatbeni
My E46 is starting to get a little rough around the edges and I've been considering a 1. I'm looking at '09-'11 CPOs but haven't ruled out a '12 that might be on a dealer's lot somewhere waiting to get unloaded to make room for the next years models. I haven't decided between a 128 or a 135 yet. I like the idea of lots of power but never liked the throttle response of ANY turbo charged car I've ever driven (including a couple of different 335's). I also would like to get reasonably good gas mileage. Anyway, I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer for me.
-On paper the 128 and 135 get nearly the same gas mileage. Is this true in real life?
-Has the HPFP issue been resolved on the 135 engine? From what I gather no one really knows for certain but some anecdotal evidence would be helpful.
-Is sport suspension standard on the 135? I thought I read this somewhere but I'm not sure.
-I have a set of winter tires for my E46 that are mounted on OEM 16" rims. Will these fit on a 1 series? The tires are barely broken in and I'd like to get some use out of them.

Also, if you have any sage advice to offer it is much appreciated.

Thanks!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
i have an 09 E82 I am averaging about 17-18mpg with a 13gal tank. its not bad but MPG is not a reason why you would buy this car.

the HFPF had been taken care of in my model under CPO before i bought it. When they have campaigns like that they are usually taken care of before the car is sold.

As for tires i dont know.
Holy poop! Obviously you don't mind it but I would hate dealing with that kind of fuel economy in any vehicle, much less the little 1 series. It's the most confounding thing. We have a 128 coupe, 328 coupe, and 328 sedan in my family, and the 1 has the worst fuel economy by a good 2 or 3 mpg. My guess is it is the brick-like shape of the car but I'm not really sure. I know it's a heck of a lot meaner sounding than our 3s, could that have something to do with the poor fuel economy?

Honestly...and I'm ready to dodge flames for this...I'm looking forward to a four cylinder turbo 1 to come to the US, and preferably in hatchback form!
i have an 09 E82 I am averaging about 17-18mpg
I have an 11 135 cab and regularly get 24-25 mpg per tank. I believe the HPFP did not affect the new single turbo engine, only the older twin turbo but I cold be wrong.
My MT 128i convertible has averaged 27.5 mpg over 40,000 miles - about 75% highway. (Gas tank is 14 gals., not 13)

Also, while your E46 16" wheels may fit a 128i, I doubt they will clear the brakes on a 135i.

Tom
My MT 135i has averaged 26.4 in over 21,000 miles of driving. I DO drive 75% highway at 70 to 75 mph. I also came from an E46 (2002 330 xi) and LOVE the power improvement, and don't even notice the turbo lag. The power feels smooth, linear and... really strong.
Wow those are great stats I would the high 20-25 mpg people are seeing if because of longer commutes. its more city miles 15-20min for me so I understand people getting better numbers.

Either way its a fun ride
I have 09 135i convertible. MOST of my mileage goes to my commute to work which is highway... I get about 23-24. Non highway is terrible., 17-18. I have the M package which has the upgraded exhaust. Boyfriend has an e46 m3 and He gets better MPG then I do lol

The gas station is my best friend. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Gas mileage certainly isn't the 1'ers strong point anyway... but it's not intended to be an economy car. However, in my '12 135i I get about 22-24mpg on average and I don't baby it at all. Best I ever saw was 29mpg on a straight highway run from Tennessee to St. Louis (almost all with cruise control on) Worst I think was 20mpg when it was snowing around here :)

As already mentioned, the wheels ought to fit the 128i but the brakes on the 135i are HUGE. This makes for great stopping power though. Having said that, I picked up a full set of rims and snow tires for about $900 from Tire Rack so they weren't a huge expense... didn't bother with the tire pressure sensors. If you trade your car I'm sure you can move your rims and tires on the classifieds section for a couple hundred and pick up a new set for a 135i.

Having said that though; if you don't like the turbo lag in the 335i then you're going to have the same problem with the 135i. It's not as bad as many cars I've owned (I had a Saab 900 Turbo once... I used to think it took a smoke break before it took off) but it's not as smooth off the line as a normally aspirated engine and never will be. I'll take the trade off though for the endless wave of power that starts at 1500-2000rpm and never quits until you're at speeds that'll get you thrown in jail in every state.
Thanks for the info.
Couple of more questions:
What year did the 135 go from twin turbo to single?
I saw a classified recently that mentioned it was 'post facelift'. What styling changes were made?

Btw, I've been getting a steady 25mpg in my E46 since I've owned it driving a combo go city and highway and using 93RON. Long highway drives get me almost to 30. Seems like 128 will be on par and a 135 will be a few less.
The N55 engine, or the "Twin scroll" turbo began in MY 2011. The N54 was the previous twin turbo. Both have suffered the infamous HPFP problems; however, the issue seems to be resolved, regardless of engine type. Mileage on a 128 will be somewhat comparable to your e46, if maybe 1 or 2 miles lower.

Having owned/currently own both cars (an e46 and a 128), the lower mileage is usually due to the "more spirited" driving one tends to be prone to do in a 1er. The 1 series car begs you to drive it that way much more than the e46, regardless of engine choice.

My 335 (N54), mileage is nothing to write home about either, but I blame that also on city mileage and driver-induced pedal pressing.
When I bought a couple of years ago, it was not price but other pump and recall issues that made me choose the 128 over the 135. BUT got MSport. Have not looked back...put on the HPexhaust, still had money left over...thousands actually that would have only been into the 135. I drove the 135, loved the extra ooomph...nice. BUT the 128Msport has been a great comprimise. Just a thot. Either way, you're gonna love it...like someone above said, it begs to be driven in a sporty way...maybe its the size...sound for me...not sure but its true. :thumbup:
@ mr_bean -

If you should decide on a 128 - I may end up selling mine. I should have my title in my hands next week, and I will see how I feel about getting my 2 car garage down to 1.

Its an Alpine White/Coral Red/Sport Package/Manual - with 15K miles - and will have completed exactly 2 years since I took my European Delivery on this 30th of Aug.

I average 23-24 mpg - and I have a set of 17in winters (my 15 K miles are roughly spread equally over the two sets, so there is plenty of tread on both).
Call me a weirdo, but I have a thing against cars that are either white or beige. Just can't bring myself to own one. If yours was black, red or blue I would be jumping at the offer. A clutch pedal and sport package are my top priorities.
@ mr_bean -

If you should decide on a 128 - I may end up selling mine. I should have my title in my hands next week, and I will see how I feel about getting my 2 car garage down to 1.

Its an Alpine White/Coral Red/Sport Package/Manual - with 15K miles - and will have completed exactly 2 years since I took my European Delivery on this 30th of Aug.

I average 23-24 mpg - and I have a set of 17in winters (my 15 K miles are roughly spread equally over the two sets, so there is plenty of tread on both).
Nothing weird there - a color preference is a subjective thing... even my better half is not a big fan of white (she equates it to a taxi).

I wanted the Coral Red seats - and I it was a tossup between white or space grey - and to my eyes, white looked a little better...

Anyhow...
Call me a weirdo, but I have a thing against cars that are either white or beige. Just can't bring myself to own one. If yours was black, red or blue I would be jumping at the offer. A clutch pedal and sport package are my top priorities.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.