BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow i'm going to go look at and test drive a '99 Z3 M Roadster. I know the basics of what to look out for like soft top leaks, engine leaks, and strange ticking noises, etc. From what i've read on this forum and others apparently there's something wrong with the E36 generation subframe? Some bolts may brake or am I mistaken? Is there anything else to look out for such as electronics problems or something else?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
not bolts...trunck floor may separate and the bracket that holds the diff my crack.

you should bne able to inspect the problem area's buy removing the trunk carpet and taking a good look under the car.

Also cooling system has weekness with plastic parts and poor water pump.

·
Registered
89 Posts
M roadster

The subframe problem is the one to watch out for and it would be best to take it to shop for an inspection. Nixon Auto in Burnaby is a good independent shop, there is another one in Richmond but I can't remember the name. The other is the waterpump, which I understand will give out at around 60,000 miles. Sometimes it can blow apart sending fan parts into the rad or denting the hood from the underside, so it's better to replace it when milage warrents. The rest of the engine is very reliable.
There are alot of cars coming in from the US these days. I was at Parkshore BMW about 2 months ago and there was a ZM there from the states that had been in a bad accident. The paint on the hood was poorly done, the front fenders were not fitted well and the fender liners were missing. It was Estoril Blue and I think it was a 99. Apparently this damage had not shown up on the Carfax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i just took a look at the car, subframe looks good from what i can see and it doesn't feel like anything is broken or bent, couldn't hear anything to indicate any broken parts.

thankfully today was rainy in van so it was a good test for the roof, no leaks

the only issue is a very small oil leak from somewhere in the front/mid of the engine, does it normally happen on the Z3 M cars?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a 99 Coupe that had the subframe problem. Make sure you don't hear any creak when you take off from stop. I thought it was the plastic trims that was making the noise. It turned out to be the subframe. Soent over $7k after all was done. That includes H&R, Bilstein, SuperSprint and many more to get it the way it should be.

I found oil leak is very uncommon with the BMW I owned. It might be the valve cover that is leaking.

It's best to have PPI to have them look it over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts