Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i bought a 89 325i. i am looking to add a few hp. i have a K&N intake on it and it made the car quite a bit better on acceleration. i want to make it a little faster. i am gonna work on the cyl head at school and try to make the air flow better but i was just wonder on what type of chips, headers and exhaust you guess suggest.

thanks ryan
california

·
On Top
8,779 Posts
Jim C. or Tuner motorsport chip, shorty headers are on ebay.Your gonna want to put 19 pound injectors in there and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Don't forget the cam. That's relly all yoou can do without forced induction or stroking. And you would prolly be happier not doing all this and dropping a M50 or S50 powerplant in.

·
Registered
478 Posts
SWISS said:
Jim C. or Tuner motorsport chip, shorty headers are on ebay.Your gonna want to put 19 pound injectors in there and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Don't forget the cam. That's relly all yoou can do without forced induction or stroking. And you would prolly be happier not doing all this and dropping a M50 or S50 powerplant in.
oh, man! I just went out and bought all kinds of stickers for my HP. You can get quite a bit out of that engine with a turbo. :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Court M3 said:
just drop an M50 or S50 and start from there.
I took a look at that a while ago. There's a lot of finagling, squishing and squirming to get that M50 in there. They even had to take the fan out or else it hit the radiator and hoped it ran ok. Mixing and matching all kinds of stuff from different years. Probably be out of commission for a while depending on how much time ya got. Think its worth it?

·
Registered
676 Posts
PuebloPete said:
oh, man! I just went out and bought all kinds of stickers for my HP. You can get quite a bit out of that engine with a turbo. :D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: stickers

·
Registered
397 Posts
This has been discussed before, no? Everyone knows that stickers are good to 5-10 HP each, 10-15 when the sticker constitutes a Japanese "kanji" character. There is also a full 2-second 0-60 improvement from a stoplight start when you put your automatic in neutral and allow your car to roll backwards, thus creating the illusion of a manual transmission.

Really Big Wings are good too, though. I agree.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
nayr said:
i am gonna work on the cyl head at school and try to make the air flow better

thanks ryan
california
Do not assume that enlarging the intake & exhaust ports will increase power. If you have alot of time and want to smooth the passages, have at it. I`d strongly advise against changing the shape of the ports or "hogging them out"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats what i was gonna do i was just gonna clean it up and allow for the air to pass better

ryan

·
///M POWER
366 Posts
PuebloPete said:
I took a look at that a while ago. There's a lot of finagling, squishing and squirming to get that M50 in there. They even had to take the fan out or else it hit the radiator and hoped it ran ok. Mixing and matching all kinds of stuff from different years. Probably be out of commission for a while depending on how much time ya got. Think its worth it?
Dude,

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Just b/c one idiot can't do a swap right and F's up doesn't mean it's not easy and possible. The m50/s50 fits in the e30 engine bay with no problems even with a clutch fan.

This is a very easy swap now especially with what's available. Tree House Racing has a plug and play wiring adapter. And with all the info on the web, this swap really can't get much easier.

For anyone interesting in the m50/s50 swap, check out r3vlimited.com in the engine swap section.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Never said I did. I just read a couple places that had to use different things from different cars. One site was here. Check it out - http://www.theeurodepot.com/e30m50.html

Maybe these guys don't know what they are doing then. I was also checking out that cd that you can buy. Kind of the same way, telling you how much you have to spend to get it in there. If you've done it before, could you tell me how much the total cost was and how much time? I'd consider doing it but thought it was very labor intensive. Thanks.

·
///M POWER
366 Posts
PuebloPete said:
Never said I did. I just read a couple places that had to use different things from different cars. One site was here. Check it out - http://www.theeurodepot.com/e30m50.html

Maybe these guys don't know what they are doing then. I was also checking out that cd that you can buy. Kind of the same way, telling you how much you have to spend to get it in there. If you've done it before, could you tell me how much the total cost was and how much time? I'd consider doing it but thought it was very labor intensive. Thanks.
what problems did you see in their directions?

It seems like they left a lot of options for anyone performing the swap. They didnt like say this is the way to do this and what not. Like for example, they said they didn't use a fan but it doesnt say you can. And actually a fan does fit.

·
///M POWER
366 Posts
PuebloPete said:

what problems did you see in their directions? I didn't see the "finagling, squishing and squirming to get that M50 in there" part?

It seems like they left a lot of options for anyone performing the swap. They didnt like say this is the way to do this and what not. Like for example, they said they didn't use a fan but it doesnt say you can. And actually a fan does fit.

·
///M POWER
366 Posts
PuebloPete said:
I guess you're right. Just felt like there were some issues where they used a lot of parts from different cars. E36, E28, E30, 325, 525. So you have done this? I've been pondering maybe just didn't look deep enough. Heres the other thing I was looking at. http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/...ode=6134&Product_Code=ETCCC&Category_Code=NPS
Any thoughts?
yea with some help. If you're good with mechanics, go for it. Just do your research and your good. Some help never hurts either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
99flhr said:
Do not assume that enlarging the intake & exhaust ports will increase power. If you have alot of time and want to smooth the passages, have at it. I`d strongly advise against changing the shape of the ports or "hogging them out"
i was wondering what your thinking was here. granted i dont have hands on experience, but ive done some reseach on this. this is the only other restriction of airflow into the engine other than an air filter. with a port and polish, the air is more easily sucked into the engine which causes the the engine to run more lean. with an afr, you can set the new pressure and ultimately create more hp since there is more fuel and air in the combustion chamber. imo, this is the only senario in which i would run larger injectors. after that, a cam and headers would be a good idea but only before a port and polish. i just wanted to know why you would advise against it. is it a cost/benefit reason? just curious...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get 4.10 gears easy to install and best mod for the money, I have a 1991 325i 5 speed originally had 3.73 upgraded to 4.10 its great fun to drive and way faster. A stock 325is with 4.10 runs faster than a e30 m3 since 325 has a 6 and m3 has a 4 even though m3 has more hp gears make it faster, Because 325 puts out more torque to the ground so it has more pulling power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^ Would that not cause problems over time, given that you are changing what the design called for? Stupid question perhaps but I have heard many a tale of woe resulting from things like this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts