BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ripped about 2 feet worth of seam around my '99 vert top:(. That being said, I would like to replace it. Long story short I got a sweet deal on a new black top, out with the old in with the new. Shame since the old top is in pretty great shape minus the big seam rip and two small corner seams coming apart. Someone handy with upholstery work could have a really nice top doing a little work. I did just replace the back window with a tinted zip in one a year ago:dunno:.

Anyway, need help replacing it. I know one shop nearby that does great work that quoted me $475 to replace the top, $150 additional to replace the tension straps. The worst part is they are backed up 2-3 weeks during the in season around here in Myrtle Beach, SC. Anyone have any experience doing it that would like to help and make some extra cash?! I'm not that mechanically inclined, although I hear it isn't too bad. I feel like someone with experience and my help could knock it out in one day no problem, but I don't have but the basic tools, no rivet guns or the likes. Any recommended shops or people would be greatly appreciated:thumbup:

Also would be interested in getting a hardtop for future problems and would love the look during the colder months!

Attachments

·
NCC BMWCCA member
181 Posts
Under $700 for the labor and some type of warranty is a heck of a deal. I would put some type of patch on it and get a car cover and make an appointment and drive it for 2-3 weeks.

Hardtops do pop up, maybe local Craigslist?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under $700 for the labor and some type of warranty is a heck of a deal. I would put some type of patch on it and get a car cover and make an appointment and drive it for 2-3 weeks.

Hardtops do pop up, maybe local Craigslist?
Yea the deal is pretty good, I think I'll have to schedule the appointment tomorrow and just ride it out till then. My gf said the same thing about a car cover which is annoying since SC can have rain come out of nowhere at any given time of the day any season! For now I just did a hideous duct tape and adhesive spray to hold it over. I just feel like someone has to be around here that wants to help out and make some money.

Thanks for the advice Oliver!

·
NCC BMWCCA member
181 Posts
Wish I could find a deal like that around here, most shops start around $1800 (inc top). My black 94 has duct tape on it ;)

Yea the deal is pretty good, I think I'll have to schedule the appointment tomorrow and just ride it out till then. My gf said the same thing about a car cover which is annoying since SC can have rain come out of nowhere at any given time of the day any season! For now I just did a hideous duct tape and adhesive spray to hold it over. I just feel like someone has to be around here that wants to help out and make some money.

Thanks for the advice Oliver!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Me too... I even posted an ad on C.L. for someone to help me with the install and pay him/her cash for helping. The cheapest deal here in Minnesota is $1750 installed with 1 yr warranty.

I might just doing it myself after watching over and over the install video on utube. Anyone in Minnesota can help me with the top??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be sure and get a top with a drip edge over the windows or water will be running into your car when the window is down the slightest.
Well sir, you are on the money with this one. Had the first bit of rain with my top on and anytime I open the doors water comes in the corner dripping. Fml. Any idea how fix or bandaid this since I JUST put a new top on?! I love my car, but these issues are adding up fast!

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Well sir, you are on the money with this one. Had the first bit of rain with my top on and anytime I open the doors water comes in the corner dripping. Fml. Any idea how fix or bandaid this since I JUST put a new top on?! I love my car, but these issues are adding up fast!
Carry a towel and pick drive thrus that have covered ordering stations. :)

In reality, even the OEM tops do the same thing unless it's very light rain. Price we pay for the luxury of open air when the sun's out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carry a towel and pick drive thrus that have covered ordering stations. :)

In reality, even the OEM tops do the same thing unless it's very light rain. Price we pay for the luxury of open air when the sun's out.
@dc_wright sometimes I wonder if it's really worth the luxury..

Guess I'll be carrying a towel around haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts