BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie!

I've had an 08 STS AWD for about 4 years now and am interested in moving on to a BMW 750Li x-drive.

I really don't want to lose any options that the STS has and would like to pick up some extras if possible.
I currently have a 'fully loaded' 2008 STS "1SG" trim level
AWD 40/60 F/R split 3.23:1
V8 320hp NA
6spd w/ manual mode
Heated / Ventilated front seats
Heated Rear seats
Heated Steering wheel

Some of the 'special options':
HUD - multi color w/ tach
Radar Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Front Collision avoidance
Lane Departure
Side Blind Zone Alerts
Magnetic Ride Control (Active Damping suspension with multiple modes)
15 speaker Bose w/ 7" touch screen nav w/ HUD integration
Borla Cat-Back exhaust (GM Performance Parts)
Clear 'export' tails (amber signals)
Premium Tuscan Leather

---------------------------

Now I've been looking at BMWs 750Li Xdrive.
I will not buy SWB, I am 6'6" and am only interested in a LWB car at this point. Also, living in MN I don't want RWD only.
It is a shame that Cadillac decided not to offer the SLS in the USA (it is the long wheelbase version of the STS sold only in China), if they did I'd be looking there not here.
It seems that the only ones that are fully loaded that cost under $30k have 3 owners and / or accidents reported on them.
I'm looking at dealer only and basically anywhere in the USA (fly and buy or potentially drive and trade)

Ones that I'm currently considering:
2010 - $28,900 - 29k miles --- only considering this one because miles are so low, and it has some rear seat luxury option, missing HUD, missing ACC which are likely deal breakers.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=418839804

2012 - $29,950 - 65k miles - Missing NightVision, Missing ACC - not a fan of interior color
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=408453040

2012 - $29,999 - 63k miles - Missing NV, Missing ACC
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=430397239

2011 - $29,995 - 66k miles - Fully loaded example, Might be missing rear seat lux option, not M series. Has 3 owners and 1st owner CarFax damage @17k miles
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=428215100

In fact outside of ones with a lot of owners I don't think I can find one with ACC, and I think that may really be a deal breaker for me as I'm so used to having this on the STS.

---------------------------

Thoughts, opinions on these cars? Anyone have better options available that they can find?
I'd love an Alpina B7 LWB X-Drive that is loaded but those seem to be ultra rare.
There is talk of Service Contracts in many threads around here, I'd be planning on getting one but I would like to know the 'right one' to get based on experience here.
I had one on my STS which absorbed about 10-12k in repairs so I know they are worth it.

How difficult is it to retrofit options to the 750Li that it did not ship with?
Like my STS I assume ACC is 'impossible' to add, but other things like NV or HUD or lane departure..._a__a2_

·
Super Moderator
1,060 Posts
Welcome! Retrofitting options is pretty much impossible (esp. the ones you speak of). So forego even considering that, find what you want now or deal with not having them.

The M Sport package is a must, but even more important than that is you really should get one with ARS (active roll stabilization). It's a rare option, but they are out there. I couldn't care less about ACC, Night Vision, Lane Departure, etc if it doesn't have ARS because that really makes the car. Some will say it's not important, but trust me, it is. It doesn't take away from the comfort or luxury of it, but is the difference between an OK/competent handler and a "BMW".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What does M sport change other than appearance?
How can I tell if the car has ARS?
And yeah I figured the retrofit to add options was a long shot as its damn near impossible on my STS.

·
Registered
2013 750i and 2015 740i
2,113 Posts
What does M sport change other than appearance?
How can I tell if the car has ARS?
And yeah I figured the retrofit to add options was a long shot as its damn near impossible on my STS.
Other than increased top speed limiter and fog light deletion, M Sport is only cosmetic.

To check for ARS, enter the last seven of the VIN at http://bimmer.work or http://bmwdecoder.com. Look for option 229 Dynamic Drive.

·
Registered
203 Posts
always admired sts since we rented a v8 back in 05.
very underrated. cheers.

·
Super Moderator
1,060 Posts
The last STS I drove had a NorthStar V8, but it was FWD. As one C&D writer said "there's nothing scarier than 300hp and FWD!" Thank goodness for stabilitrak (?). Very comfy though.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would only get a CPO. Also, you might wanna consider a 740 to save a couple thousand.

·
6 RINGS
8,457 Posts
STS was first introduced like 05 i think, was ahead of its time for its price point. Definitely go with a CPO, the maint on a flagship German car can cost more than your current car is worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
STS was first introduced like 05 i think, was ahead of its time for its price point. Definitely go with a CPO, the maint on a flagship German car can cost more than your current car is worth.
Correct. Too many people think of the Seville STS as being the same as the STS. The 05-11 STS was RWD or AWD with the engine mounted correctly (not transverse FWD style). They are very different cars (completely new platform and target market).
It certainly was ahead of its time especially for price point which is what makes buying something else with the same options it has difficult.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I'm just not feeling a V6 though. However aside from engine does the 740 have the same tech options as the 750?
If you need more power, you can get a tune.

The I-6 has half the amount of problems as the 8. Even if you do get a warranty or CPO, the I-6 will be in the shop a whole lot less than the 8.

I'd say test drive both.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you're used to using ACC now, it's definitely a must. Or you'll regret it on your next long trip if you don't have it. Probably seems like a frivolous luxury item to those that never used it.

The soft closing doors are also something you find yourself not being able to live without. But it spoils you and you forget how to properly close doors on other cars.

Also seems like power is important to you. You mentioned the B7 which is a good option if your willing to cough up about another 30k. Not much more horsepower considering the cost but every bit counts in such a heavy car. But more than the horsepower, the handling is significantly better if you like to have fun with your car. If your looking for a more comfortable drive, the regular 7s have a cushier ride.

Also, switching to any bimmer, you'll be able to code it so your not restricted to a lot of the US restrictions.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 750xi M Sport
339 Posts
Stay away from before MY2013. N63 engine is most likely one of the worst engines ever made by BMW. MY 2013 up (N63 TU engine) seem to be better compared to N63 but still falls short in terms of overall reliabilty.
I am realy shocked when I see people still buying these cars....

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you want a 750, you need to stay clear of anything before 13. This is the best place to go before you drop any money on one. TL is 100% correct. You should drive a 740 M Sport and see how you like it. Repairs could be 5k, 10k, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts