BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been dedicated Volvo customers since 1985. Had a 1985 wagon that we finally put to rest with 250,000 miles in 2003. We now own a 1998 s-70 and 2002 s80 both with over 190,000 miles both with little or no major problems. The s-70 was new the s80 had 16,000 miles. We are considering a 2010 X-3 or a 2011 X-3 but don't know about the overall relaibility of BMW. Can we get some help on this?

The 2010 has about 12,000 miles and is loaded. We are concerned about the interior size compared to the s-80, The 2011 as we were told has been redesigned and is a bit larger. It also has the run flat tires which I have been told can be a problem.

Some friendly help would be appreciated.

Volvojim

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Welcome to bimmerfest!

I've never owned a Volvo to compare, but my gut feeling is that the reliability of BMW and Volvo is in the same ballpark; In other words, not quite the near-bulletproof level of Honda or Toyota (but then again I'm not sure the recent Hondas or Toyotas are quite bulletproof, either! :D) but generally not too bad. I think the further up the model offerings you go (to the more upscale 5 series and 7 series, for example) the more problems you find -- the old "more to go wrong" thing...

The 2011 X3 is a new model and the usual disclaimer about a new vehicle with no track record applies, but it predictably has more features than the older X3.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts