BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
Very upset about this. Looks like the front of my vehicle has concrete splatter scattered at quite a few places on the front. It's over the hood and front.

Any suggestions for removal?

thanks

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
hose it off

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
Try mineral spirits, it's clear-coat safe. Start at a small and inconspicuous area to see if the MS lifts the dried concrete. If that works, don't forget to clean the affected area with soap/water followed by some wax.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,307 Posts
First, ABSOLUTELY NOT mineral spirits off the bat. And if it really IS concrete, then never- concrete is not soluble in mineral spirits.

A couple of concepts:

1. use the least aggressive method that will work- so escalate from mild to more severe

2. Try to remove the splatter without it scratching surrounding paint- so lots of fluid or lots of towels or whatever. once it is remove, take it off the car. DONT SCRUB

3. Are you sure it is concrete? How many 'splats' or 'dots' or what have you? HOW BIG is each 'dot'.

4. Soapy water and a finger nail to try and get it to release or at least reduce the volume of each 'blob'. The little grits that remain can be deat with easier...

5. I once had fully catalyzed 2 part epoxy paint I was spraying get carried onto a car. Fully cured, covering the back of the car...Nothing touched it: Soap, solvents, polishing compound. What did I do? CLAY BAR. Worked perfectly. Search on this and consider it. Importantly you need to fold the clay often. As described in #4, reduce the amount of grit before using the claybar, otherwise it will damage surrounding paint

6. Finally you may (will likely) get some microscratches- not a big deal, re-polish then seal or wax

GL

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All,
Thanks for your inputs. On closer examination, this turned out to be something that looks like black tar. Not concrete/asphalt. Hence it was very stubborn to get out, especially under the hot Texas sun.

The dark black spots were in stark contrast to the white paint and there were 100s of spots from pencil dot sized spots to about 1-inch blobs. I went to Autozone and bought 'Terminator' spray. The spray-can said that it would help dissolve tough bug, tar, and asphalt. So I bought it and gave it a shot.

It works quite well. But took about 2-3 hours of hard work. There is still some work remaining, but overall this product seems to get the tough spots out.

It works best on glass (headlamp/lights) and plastic as those come off a lot easier. But, the blobs on the vehicle paint takes a lot of scrubbing to get out. After spraying, wait 1 minute for it to dissolve and then the scrubbing can begin. If not careful, the initial scrubbing tends to smudge to large places, so have to redo a few times.

Caution: The spray product asked to be careful with plastic as it could dissolve some forms of plastic. But it seems to be OK on the plastic on the BMW.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Concrete and tar are two very different products. Not sure how one would confuse the two, but hey...
That tar removal stuff is also fairly nasty to your paint. Careful what you use to "scrub" it with and how hard you're scrubbing or you will end with swirls and scratches. Instead of scrubbing, I'd wipe with sponge dipped in car wash water, or use microfiber and wipe lightly, even if it means doing multiple times.
A clay bar might have helped too, but after doing this I would clay, polish, and wax. At minimum apply some wax.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Looks like I do need to have it washed again and waxed.
Btw- it does take some extra pressure to take it off. Just doest not come off that easily.

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
I remove tar and dead bugs from the bumper and mirror covers with mineral spirits often. Comes off easily, almost no rubbing.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,307 Posts
Thanks. Looks like I do need to have it washed again and waxed.
Btw- it does take some extra pressure to take it off. Just doest not come off that easily.
Undoubtably the added pressure and scrubbing with ANY towel will have created microscratches around the 'blobs'...and the solvent meant the wax/sealant is gone.

Good news is white is almost impossible to detect this.

A quick buff/polish in the area, to eliminate the microscratches, then whatever sealant/polymer/wax you use to again protect the whole area.

Glad it worked out fairly painlessly!

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
wd40 takes tar off immediately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts