BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is officially out of factory warranty as of july 4th 2007

so at just over 4 yrs the battery **** to bed....or it seems as so...

First thing i did was pull the battery out and fill the cells with water...as the water level was down a bit.

put it back in the car

and put a charger on it...which after 4 hrs showed full.

i then started the car and turned it off....

20 mins later went to start the car and it wouldn't start....

so tomorrow i'm going to jump start it and drive it for about 45 mins and come back and let it sit for a few hrs and then try to start it...

i figure the battery is probably bad...

4 yrs 34k miles...

kind of short life...but oh well.

anyways this thread suggests using the interstate battery

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40068

anyone have any experience with these batteries? or ahve any other recommendations...

cliffs:

my battery seems to be dead
need a new one
i've heard some people suggest interstate batteries
i'm open to other suggestions...

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Goto Autozone and get yourself a Duralast 49-DL which is about $79. when telling the counter about your bmw they will try to sell you duralast 94R-DLG which cost $140, the duralast 49-DL cost must less and has more cranking power, so you decide. I got myself the duralast 49-DL and you can do a search and see that almost everyone else on the forum got a duralast 49-DL from autozone as well.

cover on this link

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188006&highlight=duralast

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goto Autozone and get yourself a Duralast 49-DL which is about $79. when telling the counter about your bmw they will try to sell you duralast 94R-DLG which cost $140, the duralast 49-DL cost must less and has more cranking power, so you decide. I got myself the duralast 49-DL and you can do a search and see that almost everyone else on the forum got a duralast 49-DL from autozone as well.

cover on this link

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188006&highlight=duralast
ok i'll check that out

thanks!

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where does the vent tube exit out to.

Can someone post a picture.

on my current battery (OEM) i found a l shaped tube that is hooked up on the side of the battery (same side as the positive terminal)

it wasn't hooked up to anything

is the vent tube supposed to be hooked up to something to allow the gasses to exhaust to the outside? or should it just have that L shaped tube.....?

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nevermind i found the vent tube.

funny thing is it wasn't hooked up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not driving the car very often is rough on the battery, so the 4 years you got out of it is about right. I just replaced the original battery in my car last week, 5 years / 135k miles and still going strong. It was replaced out of paranoia on my part, and not because of any problem. If you just need something to get you by for now, you're welcomed to it. It will probably last another year before quitting.

Chris

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not driving the car very often is rough on the battery, so the 4 years you got out of it is about right. I just replaced the original battery in my car last week, 5 years / 135k miles and still going strong. It was replaced out of paranoia on my part, and not because of any problem. If you just need something to get you by for now, you're welcomed to it. It will probably last another year before quitting.

Chris
thanks for the offer! but i think i'm going to go pick up the duralast 49-DL from autozone...its only $80...and thats worth it for my piece of mind.

and no i don't drive the car too often...

i drive it twice a week at best...
:)

i bought the car in december with 27k miles....and now i'm under 34k right now...

so.

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ended up getting the

Duralast 49-DL

from VaTo ZoNe...

set me back $85 threw it in the trunk hooked up the vent tube and the cables...and she started right up!

only thing that sucks is all my memory presets for my seat need to be reset! :)

thanks for everyone's input!

·
Registered
361 Posts
autozone battery? how is it holding up? i replaced mine in my 530i with an interstate... i will always go with interstate from now on, just for my own piece of mind. for these high end expensive cars at least. sears if its my honda =D

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
autozone battery? how is it holding up? i replaced mine in my 530i with an interstate... i will always go with interstate from now on, just for my own piece of mind. for these high end expensive cars at least. sears if its my honda =D
duralast 49-dl found the recommendation....on a few bmw forums...

we'll see how it goes...

·
2003 540i - M Sport
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts