1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I just got back today. I took delivery on Nov 2nd but we largely avoided the Alps as the forecast was a bit sketchy and we didn't have snow tires. Not only are snow tire rentals expensive, they are inconvenient as you have to return the car to Munich, rather than one of the other drop-off locations.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
That's an interesting concept. I wonder why snow tire rentals aren't offered in the U.S.?

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
That's an interesting concept. I wonder why snow tire rentals aren't offered in the U.S.?
Check to see if the name has been taken in CT...Arras Tire Shop LLC d/b/a Arras Snow Tire Rental!

The problem is that you may have to charge a lot. If you charge $750 per winter, then if tires last 3 seasons, you could earn $2250. However, the tires might cost $1000 and the cost of mount and dismount may cost $300, earning you about $900. If the tires last 2 season, you might earn $300. If the tires last one season, then you lose money.

Not a very stable business, I think. Short term rentals at a high price, like in Munich, seems profitable

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
Check to see if the name has been taken in CT...Arras Tire Shop LLC d/b/a Arras Snow Tire Rental!

The problem is that you may have to charge a lot. If you charge $750 per winter, then if tires last 3 seasons, you could earn $2250. However, the tires might cost $1000 and the cost of mount and dismount may cost $300, earning you about $900. If the tires last 2 season, you might earn $300. If the tires last one season, then you lose money.

Not a very stable business, I think. Short term rentals at a high price, like in Munich, seems profitable
Don't forget the storage costs as well . . .

·
Super Moderator
3,654 Posts
Don't forget the storage costs as well . . .
...and labor, equipment costs, insurance costs, rent, business taxes. Doesn't seem like a good business unless there is a steady market. For European delivery, the costs of tire rental is fairly high and the tires get possibly used by a few customers every winter. ***8364;250 is the cost for a 3 series for 2 days and ***8364;29 for each additional day. With that usage, 3 customers renting for a week could yield ***8364;1200 but for the U.S. market where a business model might be to rent to one customer for an entire season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts