BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to upgrade to 535 xi to fit the baby seat in better and to have more space in the back seats. Looks like we have outgrown our 335D. It's a pitty too, I love the fuel economy and the way the car can burry you deep in the seat when you accelerate.

Also, it seems the dealer trade in will be around 34k, should really decide if we want to sell it via autotrader/ebay classifieds, or just give to dealer.

Just wanted to share.

· Registered
4,058 Posts
Personally, I hate trying to sell privately because I have to deal with a lot of idiots. In the end after the tax differences at the dealer it's never been worth the hassle for me to go the private route.
Agreed.

We only had issues with baby seats in the 3 series when we had to buy a new seat due to the old one being in a wreck. Changing brands of seats was a big mistake for us at that point. Now our issues were trunk space and strollers and still are with the baby now a toddler.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, we hit baby's head and/or our head on the roof of the back of the car whenever we are trying to strap the baby in their now forward-facing seat. Another small issue is sitting comfortably in the rear seats next to baby when you have people in the front. These are really minor annoyances, but we have grown up to need a bit more space and I think 5 series would do just that.

· Registered
187 Posts
Why not get an X5d? Lots more room than the 5 series and you will need it to carry all the impedimentia to logistically support the little one -- and what the "mom" wants to carry with you.:angel:
+1

I have a 335d and X5d. The X5 is great for long distance and around town driving with lots of room. And you get the Eco Credit.

I just got a new 535 service loaner. It looks great but my wife and I like the X5 alot better.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not get an X5d? Lots more room than the 5 series and you will need it to carry all the impedimentia to logistically support the little one -- and what the "mom" wants to carry with you.:angel:
I considered it. We have an SUV already and I will be replacing it in 1-2 years or so either way. Could not justify 2 suv's, and 535 will probably get better mileage than X5d given that my wife drives mostly highway.

It's fair to say that X5d is in contention for my SUV replacement when the time comes ;)

· Registered
731 Posts
Shoot I just tried out putting all three of my kids in the back seat this weekend and worked out fine. One is in a rear facing baby seat, one is in a booster and the other is sitting in the seat. If it wasn't for the seat protectors under the baby seat base and booster they would be able to get buckled without much of an issue.

· Registered
4,058 Posts
I read in one of the other forum sections that the 5 backseat really is not a lot wider than the 3. If need be I can fit my wife and three kids in the 335d. One kid is in a front facing seat and others too old for car seats. But I am 6'2 and our oldest is a little taller than me. Wife is 5'7 and not sure how tall the 11 year old is.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I considered 528, but wanted more ponies ;)

Picked up my 2012 535xi Black on Carbon Black Metallic today. Came with M SPORT PKG, Tech PKG, Premium PKG, Cold Weather PKG, and SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO w/ 1yr sub. Pretty happy with it for the moment. Let's see how close to 30mpg we will get to on the highway.

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
2012 is 535xi M-Sport is here. Here are some shots. I was sad to let the 335D go, but expansion was needed. On the positive side this petrol sipper has been averaging high 20s and even low 30s mpg so far with my highway driving.
Very nice. 8 speed tranny and valvetronic seem to do wonders for mileage.

The wide-angle shots sure make it's butt look big!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.