BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking ahead at the 1er coupe and the new Camaro i'm contemplating purchasing the latter. No, not because I think it's better, but I don't want to buy a car I plan on keeping for several years and have it turn into a money pit(maintenance cow) after the warranty expires. There's still a part of me that really wants to like and want the 1er coupe....??...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and no maintenance needed for the new Camaro? I don't get it. but the new camaro is very nice too.
Well, I think it's quite easy to read that that's not what I was saying. I'm saying that BMW is going to cost a lot, lot more than the Camaro. More than perhaps, I'm willing to pay. You get in a car to drive it, not shell out an outrageous amounts of cash to keep it going.

·
Registered
305 Posts
maintenance should be covered

Won't the new 1 series have the standard 4 year 50k free maintenance just as any other Bimmer? Does a camaro have that kind of free maintenance? Even if you keep the bimmer for a year or two longer than 4 years, the first four free years of NO COST maintenance will probably more than make up for what you paid to keep the camaro running the first four years of ownership. What do you think? Just my thoughts.
psychrunner

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,904 Posts
Looking ahead at the 1er coupe and the new Camaro i'm contemplating purchasing the latter. No, not because I think it's better, but I don't want to buy a car I plan on keeping for several years and have it turn into a money pit(maintenance cow) after the warranty expires. There's still a part of me that really wants to like and want the 1er coupe....??...
Well, I think it's quite easy to read that that's not what I was saying. I'm saying that BMW is going to cost a lot, lot more than the Camaro. More than perhaps, I'm willing to pay. You get in a car to drive it, not shell out an outrageous amounts of cash to keep it going.
huh?! :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
why do u think that the camaro will be any cheaper to maintain? you did not say which 1er you are considering, maybe the 135 because it is still fairly new and all the kinks are not worked out yet, possible, I guess... but the 128 has been around for almost a decade now with variants, so extremely reliable.... my E46 had 2 visits to the dealer for repairs in 4 years, both were fixed with fair ease..... GM, Chrysler and Ford products I have owned have seen many more visits.....
Dont want to turn this into German vs Japanese vs American.... really depends what you want in a car. Good Luck and enjoy whatever u get!

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
The Camaro looks right, will make the right sounds no doubt, and be reasonably fast. But it will also weigh around 4000lbs, some 500lbs+ more than the 135i, which some people complain is already way too heavy.

And the Camaro does not come with Euro Delivery. Other than that, I'm sure it will be a fine thing...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Personally, my 2 choices are the 1'er and Challenger. So I'm in sort of a similar place. However, the big issue is not maintenance. As others have pointed out, the bimmer comes with 4 years maintenance. If you want to compare cost, look at resale. Unless the market does a 180 from the past 20 years, the Challenger and Camaro will have FAR worse resale value than a bimmer. So if you factor depreciation into your equation, I believe you will find the 1'er cheaper. Not to mention I bet a 135 will spank either car around a racetrack, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out for sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think a lot of people don't have a clue as to what I'm saying, and the point is pretty clear. Anyways, I got over my initial fear of high maintenance costs over the long run, because they probably won't be as high as anticipated, and there's nothing else on the market quite like a BMW. By no means implying the Camaro is out of the picture.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think a lot of people don't have a clue as to what I'm saying, and the point is pretty clear. Anyways, I got over my initial fear of high maintenance costs over the long run, because they probably won't be as high as anticipated, and there's nothing else on the market quite like a BMW. By no means implying the Camaro is out of the picture.
Oh...uh, really? Then, please...enlighten? What high maintenance costs do you speak of? What costs have you encountered as a BMW owner? I'm confused and perplexed? :yikes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh...uh, really? Then, please...enlighten? What high maintenance costs do you speak of? What costs have you encountered as a BMW owner? I'm confused and perplexed? :yikes:
A lot of non-bmw owners have heard stories over the years of high labor & part costs. Mostly second and third hand stories that make it sound worse than it probably is (I fall under the 'bmw non-owner' category so I don't know).

One example is a friend of mine selling his 3-series ~6 years ago because it was "too expensive" to keep it running. (Yes I'm aware of how worthless that statement is without a little context)
Another was someone I work with recently telling me the dealer charges $135 to change the oil in his older M3.

Many people believe it costs a small fortune to keep a German car running because they've heard similar stories. Right or wrong, you can't blame them for thinking this if they have little or no first hand experience.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,180 Posts
I lost interest in the 1-coupe for another reason. I am too big. I went to the dealer and got in and out of a 2006 325i sedan several times, as a test for the 1-coupe.

I stuck my right foot on the floor by the throttle, and had to roll my right knee under the steering wheel to get past it. After the first try, I found the seat had to be all the way back for my back to pass the bolster and allow my butt to sit down. Then my head was prevented from entering because it hit the roof. When I bent my head down, and leaned forward to lower it, it still hit the roof because of the steeply sloped A-pillar. After finally getting into the car and closing the door, the driver compartment had no wiggle room for the legs or feet, and my hair was brushing the headliner. I was locked in a trap.

I owned two BMW 2002s for a total of twenty years. I am the same size now as then, 6'-2" and 200 lbs. The 2002s were easy to get into and out of, and were spacious and airy inside. BMW may claim that the little 1-coupe is the successor to the 2002, but not for a tall person.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I lost interest in the 1-coupe for another reason. I am too big. I went to the dealer and got in and out of a 2006 325i sedan several times, as a test for the 1-coupe.

I stuck my right foot on the floor by the throttle, and had to roll my right knee under the steering wheel to get past it. After the first try, I found the seat had to be all the way back for my back to pass the bolster and allow my butt to sit down. Then my head was prevented from entering because it hit the roof. When I bent my head down, and leaned forward to lower it, it still hit the roof because of the steeply sloped A-pillar. After finally getting into the car and closing the door, the driver compartment had no wiggle room for the legs or feet, and my hair was brushing the headliner. I was locked in a trap.

I owned two BMW 2002s for a total of twenty years. I am the same size now as then, 6'-2" and 200 lbs. The 2002s were easy to get into and out of, and were spacious and airy inside. BMW may claim that the little 1-coupe is the successor to the 2002, but not for a tall person.
I'm not sure I understand the problem... I'm 6'2" 190 lbs and have absolutely no problem getting in or out of my 2004 330Ci and have room to wear my helmet for track events.. I don't feel cramped at all. And no, I am certainly not some agile youngster... just the opposite...

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the problem... I'm 6'2" 190 lbs and have absolutely no problem getting in or out of my 2004 330Ci and have room to wear my helmet for track events.. I don't feel cramped at all. And no, I am certainly not some agile youngster... just the opposite...
It's simple - different body proportions.

I have a friend who is the same height as me (within less of an inch difference), yet when he drives my car he pulls the seat forward so much that I cannot possibly even get in the car after him.

:dunno:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Depends on how long the OP was planning on keeping the new 1'er. As was pointed out previously, all (ALL) expenses are covered for the first 4 years or 50K miles. There should be no maintenance expenses for those 4 years. Now, if you keep it 5 or 6 years, it is certainly possible that you might start to see some maint. costs. But if you are concerned about this, BMW also offers extended maintenance coverage that would prevent any unscheduled expenses for as long as 100K miles.
I'm not claiming that BMWs are low-maintenance cars (get a Camery or Honda if that is what you are looking for), but there is no reason to have to spend a lot of $$ on the maintenance.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I believe that anyone that take a car back to the dealership after the warranty expires doesnt care about how much the upkeep cost are for the car. Seeing as they can go to a normal shop and get the same rates having their bmw serviced as the guy with the 30 year old honda is paying.

Bmw's are not that expensive to keep going with say a 3 series and the 5 series isnt much different either cost wise to keep on the road. Now once you get into some of the higher end ones it can get costly but fitting into this thread Id just get the car I wanted and not worry about the cost of upkeep on it after warranty wise.

·
Powder Days
1,996 Posts
If you are really worried, try an extended warranty / maintenance plan from BMW or others.

Cheers

·
Registered
272 Posts
I believe that anyone that take a car back to the dealership after the warranty expires doesnt care about how much the upkeep cost are for the car. Seeing as they can go to a normal shop and get the same rates having their bmw serviced as the guy with the 30 year old honda is paying.

Bmw's are not that expensive to keep going with say a 3 series and the 5 series isnt much different either cost wise to keep on the road. Now once you get into some of the higher end ones it can get costly but fitting into this thread Id just get the car I wanted and not worry about the cost of upkeep on it after warranty wise.
I basically agree with CROWZ.. since my warranty ran out (and even before on some non-maint items) I've gone to an independent shop. I do think that the good BMW indy shops probably will cost a little more than the typical generic shop that works on Camerys and Accords, but not that much. I avoid any kind of extended warranty deals since they end up costing more in the long run (like insurance) but if someone is really concerned about long term maint. costs, then they can buy the extended maint plan from BMW..

In other words, if you want a new 1'er (or about any other new BMW) the maintenance costs should not be a big concern...

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
One other thing I just thought of people should consider. I know there are post that "Such and such happened and my warranty cost 2500 and the repair would of been 1700 to 1900 so I got my moneys worth" or "Im glad I spent 2500 for that warranty because it cost me 3000 to get it fixed".

Wouldnt it still of been a better deal to invest that $2500 into something than shell it out on the off chance you might need the warranty one day? If you get lucky and dont need it and you did invest it then you have that money to put on a new car later or mods for the current car or if nothing else you still have the $2500 plus what ever it made for you by investing it? Also if it was in savings or invested you can get to it for the repairs and whatever interest or other profits you got from it are still there afterwords. I just dont understand the logic in buying a warranty. There just seems to be better ways to go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts