BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post here so pardon if there is any errors or what be. I have a 1990 325i Convertible. It's got roughly 120k or so miles. (Odom quit rolling, after randomly resetting it once). The car for quite some time has driven fine, and soon started having a check engine light come on while driving and random spurts of loss of power would occur(if i tried to accelerate to quickly or some what aggressively it would bog out almost), and if I stopped somewhere to let it idle out or give it a few minutes it would soon return to normal and it would drive fine for a few weeks like so and soon the random check engine lights and bogging/loss of power on accelerating became more often. It then turned into a flat loss of power at higher RPMs, and continuing with not being able to accelerate or give it to much gas or it would bog out.

I have read a few different places that it's potentially a valve issue? I have owned this car for 6-7 years and it has been garage kept for awhile, so I know that I have personally not driven 60k miles (i believe that's when a valve adjustment is due) since I've had the car. Maybe the valves need to be adjusted? I've also read what I'm trying to describe potentially as "valve floating"? It also does somewhat sound like a sewing machine as well, I've heard that description before.

That's where my research has directed me is to "Valve Floating" I've also been told by a friend who owns one around the same year a fuel issue is possible. Hopefully based on what I've described someone else has experienced something similar and/or can pass info on how they resolved it or where I should look next.

Any help is greatly appreciated it, thank you!

-bestifusedby

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,562 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Valve float is unlikely, but if the valves haven't been adjusted in several years they are well overdue for that treatment.
Have you read the stored error codes? Since it's generated a check engine light several times it will definitely have a code or codes stored. You can use a scanner specific to BMWs and E30s particularly, or you can "stomp test" it to read the code(s). Here's how to do that:

Read the codes, write them down, then investigate their meaning(s) and proceed from there.

My guess is a failing O2 sensor which is causing the ECU to default to full rich running.

Reactions: bestifusedby

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Valve float is unlikely, but if the valves haven't been adjusted in several years they are well overdue for that treatment.
Have you read the stored error codes? Since it's generated a check engine light several times it will definitely have a code or codes stored. You can use a scanner specific to BMWs and E30s particularly, or you can "stomp test" it to read the code(s). Here's how to do that:

Read the codes, write them down, then investigate their meaning(s) and proceed from there.

My guess is a failing O2 sensor which is causing the ECU to default to full rich running.

Hi, thanks for the welcome and response!

I have had some more time to look into things. I was able to perform the stomp test successfully and received "1444" no fault codes found. Which could be due to the fact of it having a dead battery for a few months. I also noticed a parasitic draw on the battery by arcing the negative on the post, so that will also be the next task at hand once I figure out what is causing the engine to act funky.

I will be taking this to a mechanic in the following days and will respond with their findings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts