BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

loss of power

958 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  dc_wright
driving on the interstate in my 1998 bmw 323ic. I am experiencing loss of power. I can still get up to 70mph or 80 mph but have no acceleration. strong airflow, out of one exhaust pipe only. check engine light is on. please help need to get daughter to college.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I don't think you're going to be able to fix it on the road. Scan it to see why the CEL is on and go from there.
This is just a guess since we don't know the CEL code, but it sounds like an exhaust restriction due to a failed cat. If that's the case then it's going to run like a 3 cylinder engine.
driving on the interstate in my 1998 bmw 323ic. I am experiencing loss of power. I can still get up to 70mph or 80 mph but have no acceleration. strong airflow, out of one exhaust pipe only. check engine light is on. please help need to get daughter to college! on our way and stuck.:mad:
I have checked codes now. Misfire on 1,3,5 cylinders. Feels like it is running on three cylinders. Sounds mean like open air flow on acceleration but no power. Are both exhaust tips supposed to have equal air flow or is one just for looks? Both exit left side out of one muffler.
You only have one muffler...you have two pipes out if it. ;)

Do you know how to use a vacuum gauge? Put one in and check the vacuum at idle and with the throttle opened SLOWLY. If it drops steadily with it at idle, most likely one of your cats is clogged.

Odd that it shows misfires on all the odd number cylinders.... 1 and 3 are on the same cat, but 5 is on the other one. :dunno:
There's a flap on the right side muffler exit that only opens above 3K RPM so you'll only have exhaust flow out the left hand pipe at idle. I was thinking earlier that only 328's had the flap but looking at real OEM it indicates your 323 does too.
I have checked codes now. Misfire on 1,3,5 cylinders. Feels like it is running on three cylinders. Sounds mean like open air flow on acceleration but no power. Are both exhaust tips supposed to have equal air flow or is one just for looks? Both exit left side out of one muffler.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.