BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
levinecuneta
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 528i with 164,800 miles and a new radiator. I lost about 1 quart of oil after oil service 3300 miles ago. No trace of leak on my driveway. No overheating. No white smoke. No power loss. No rough idling. No coolant mixing with oil but coolant needs a little tapping up (about 1/2-1 cup) every 250 miles of mixed driving between freeway and city. Mechanic so far ruled out head gasket. does anyone have a second opinion or is it normal? I never had a BMW with as much miles before so I dunno if it's natural when engine gets older. opinions highly appreciated! :dunno:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its kinda high, but can be considered normal.
What oil viscosity do you use?
If its Mobil 1 0w-40, try the 5w-40 truck suv blend. It doesn’t get cold enough in WA (or are you not in the Everett I'm thinking of) to worry about the cold start benefits of the 0W rating. Some say the 0-40 is rather thin anyway. Since the 5W-40 doesn't meet LL-01 don't count on using the BMW maintenance system.

If you have a manual try getting to the higher gears quicker, more throttle, less revs.

Some people will point you to the CCV. It seems to be a common issue, but it appears not for the V8's. So I don't know about that one, but the CCV system (I use the term PCV, but that probably dates me to points, condensers, distributors, and cleaning the jets on the fuel system) should be separating the oil before it gets to the intake system.

·
levinecuneta
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its kinda high, but can be considered normal.
What oil viscosity do you use?
If its Mobil 1 0w-40, try the 5w-40 truck suv blend. It doesn't get cold enough in WA (or are you not in the Everett I'm thinking of) to worry about the cold start benefits of the 0W rating. Some say the 0-40 is rather thin anyway. Since the 5W-40 doesn't meet LL-01 don't count on using the BMW maintenance system.

If you have a manual try getting to the higher gears quicker, more throttle, less revs.

Some people will point you to the CCV. It seems to be a common issue, but it appears not for the V8's. So I don't know about that one, but the CCV system (I use the term PCV, but that probably dates me to points, condensers, distributors, and cleaning the jets on the fuel system) should be separating the oil before it gets to the intake system.
my 528i is an automatic. i used synthetic mobil 5w-30 (it's listed on the approved bmw oils). should i change it? thanks for the opinion. knowing it's still considered normal gives my a breather since i just changed some stuff like AC compressor, control arms and still need to change my wheel bearing hub!

·
BMW528e
85 Posts
in my opinion its normal. I have same one but '98 with 262k miles, till the service it always asks for another quart.. but so far as I'm considered, 528i over 200k always asks for more attention ;)

·
BMW528e
85 Posts
well actually for 3k miles its lil bit too much... if u r ready for a head gasket, try first changing Oil Separator or so called " Crankcase Vent Valve"..

we had an BMW X5 stop by our shop, engine had only 2 quarts lol out of 8.. i wash shocked that the car was still driving, from that point i have more respect for the engineers.. well the problem was the Crankcase.. What it does, its like a computer or a "thing" that filters oil, if it has some small particles of burned oil, it ejects into the intake that leads into the cylinder..

Btw, whats your term on driving with same oil before service??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Driving the same oil before service?? I think thats just expected, no special term.

Many oil separators work by trying to spin (centrifuge) the oil, others run through a labyrinth (complicated passage). The heavier oil mist will hit solid surfaces as it tries to change direction, then it flows back to the sump. If the CCV is failing, more oil can get into the intake system than intended.

BTW: Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet BMW LL-01 (LL-01 was required at some point maybe after '98, at that time the dealer used 15w-40 in some cases). The 5W-30 (synthetic) is the weight that comes from BMW dealer though. Anyway a heavier oil will generally solve many oil consumption issues.
But don't worry, just make sure its full.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Failing CCV is a prime suspect for excess oil consumption. But then again, 1 qt for every 3300 miles is not outside the "normal" range. Changing the CCV is a PITA. Unless this really bothers you, i would just add the extra qt regularly.

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
Also check oil filter housing gasket, common culprit, esp at that mileage if never replaced. Mine was weeping and I only have 65k miles. Still for a car with that mileage I would not say that's that uncommon.

·
levinecuneta
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well actually for 3k miles its lil bit too much... if u r ready for a head gasket, try first changing Oil Separator or so called " Crankcase Vent Valve"..

we had an BMW X5 stop by our shop, engine had only 2 quarts lol out of 8.. i wash shocked that the car was still driving, from that point i have more respect for the engineers.. well the problem was the Crankcase.. What it does, its like a computer or a "thing" that filters oil, if it has some small particles of burned oil, it ejects into the intake that leads into the cylinder..

Btw, whats your term on driving with same oil before service??
back in the philippines bmw has scheduled service every 20,000km or 6 months whichever comes first. i used to follow that routine. now i plan to do it every 5-6k miles.

·
levinecuneta
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Driving the same oil before service?? I think thats just expected, no special term.

Many oil separators work by trying to spin (centrifuge) the oil, others run through a labyrinth (complicated passage). The heavier oil mist will hit solid surfaces as it tries to change direction, then it flows back to the sump. If the CCV is failing, more oil can get into the intake system than intended.

BTW: Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet BMW LL-01 (LL-01 was required at some point maybe after '98, at that time the dealer used 15w-40 in some cases). The 5W-30 (synthetic) is the weight that comes from BMW dealer though. Anyway a heavier oil will generally solve many oil consumption issues.
But don't worry, just make sure its full.
thanks... appreciate the tip.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
I have a 1997 528i with 164,800 miles and a new radiator. I lost about 1 quart of oil after oil service 3300 miles ago. No trace of leak on my driveway. No overheating. No white smoke. No power loss. No rough idling. No coolant mixing with oil but coolant needs a little tapping up (about 1/2-1 cup) every 250 miles of mixed driving between freeway and city. Mechanic so far ruled out head gasket. does anyone have a second opinion or is it normal? I never had a BMW with as much miles before so I dunno if it's natural when engine gets older. opinions highly appreciated! :dunno:
Mine doesn't use a drop between changes (about 10-13K). But apparently lots of Bimmers use a quart every 3-4K (according to this forum). As horrible as I think this is, it seems that many BMW owners accept it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.