BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically what is the score?

Will it cost me alot?

Will it take a long time to get a new one?

Why did i not get a new spare :(

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
These are questions that you must ponder as punishment for your incompetence!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Haha:thumbup:

I know for a fact that BMW keys aren't that cheap--I don't know the process of having one cut without an original to cut from, though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
well i have done this recently when mine lost its code.

go to the dealership and take proof of ownership of the car have the vin number and the registration if you dont take the log book, the cost for me was £30.01 that was for a master key that does it all start car etc, bmw make 10 keys when the car is new you will have had at least 4 of them so if the other 6 havent been used its very simple, the key took 2 days to arrive and worked fine.

hope this helps bob

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
and remember to quote ''+ 4'' which means you get a better discount as the car is more than 4 years old
Tip worth remembering if ever I lose my keys. You key, however, must be an ordinary key because I recall that the key to our E39 had buttons you pressed to open/close the doors. A replacement for this was almost 100 pounds!

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
Quoi?

Join the BMW car club and you get 10% discount

The woman who works in the membership office is the most obnoxious person i have ever spoken to...but for 10% it is worth it!!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Quoi?

The woman who works in the membership office is the most obnoxious person i have ever spoken to...but for 10% it is worth it!!!
Obviously having a funny moment :rofl:

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
Nope...she just hates me :rofl:

Need to renew my membership actually as mum is getting withdrawal symptoms from not reading the magazine!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Nope...she just hates me :rofl:

Need to renew my membership actually as mum is getting withdrawal symptoms from not reading the magazine!!

If I miss anything exciting YOU ARE SO IN TROUBLE :mad::mad:

Tell you what, I got the form. I shall fill it in - you sign it and pay for it and Hey Presto :thumbup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tip worth remembering if ever I lose my keys. You key, however, must be an ordinary key because I recall that the key to our E39 had buttons you pressed to open/close the doors. A replacement for this was almost 100 pounds!
well mines not a ordinery key it has the one button in the middle which lights up a torch and of course its laser cut and its coded if you need a pic i will try and upload one still it was £30.01 from elvet bmw in durham

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530i
337 Posts
Quoi?

I guess it is a good thing the responses on this board are written, eh? :D:D

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Always stylish and to the point in your answers hey mate.......not that you are wrong....on thiis occasion....:D

To the O.P. also try a locksmith.. May work out cheaper. Dont know if you can where you live, but in Aust you can.

Cone
XXX

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I didn't think you could get them from anyone but a stealer buddy....
If you have the key codes and proof of ownwership, you can here. I did, and was like $150.00 cheaper

Cone
XXX

·
Spitfire
609 Posts
You could get it from a lock smith ofcourse. If he has an immoblizer scantool. He can pull out the security code from youre car and put it on the new key.

But, I would rather get a BMW ORIGINAL laser-cut key and keep my mind in peace. Although Ive seen the scantool trick being done before, I just prefer original over it.

That was my 0.02$ ! Good luck !

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
You could get it from a lock smith ofcourse. If he has an immoblizer scantool. He can pull out the security code from youre car and put it on the new key.

But, I would rather get a BMW ORIGINAL laser-cut key and keep my mind in peace. Although Ive seen the scantool trick being done before, I just prefer original over it.

That was my 0.02$ ! Good luck !
Thats fair, but when I was looking, I made some enquiries, and what happens here is you order the key from the stealer, they then go to a particular locksmith and get the key cut and scanned and take it back to the dealership and give it to you.

The difference in cost is (I just looked at the quote and reciept) is the stealer wanted $210.00 and the locksmith charged $35.00 for cutting and scanning.

Cone
XXX

1 - 20 of 34 Posts