BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a BMW 6-CD changer on e-bay, and installed in my 99 528it. Maybe a coincidence, but the next time we used the car, the ABS light and ASC lamp came on, the speedo quit working as did the "MPG" vacuum gauge. As we were doing short shopping chores, each time we would restart the car, the same things would be inop, and the same lights lit. We stopped for dinner (about an hour) and when we came out to the car again, everything returned to normal and remained so on the trip home. Twenty minutes or so. The car then sat for a week. Wife drove it yesterday, all normal, then shut the car off at her destination. When she came out and restarted the car, the ABS light and ASC lamp came on, and she had no speedo on her way home. Today I used the car, no speedo, both lites on, and the "MPG" gauge working ok.
Is it possible do you think, the installation of a (brand-new, far as i know) CD changer could have anything at all to do with these problems we are now having? :(

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not possible, if by chance the changer was bad or had a short of some sort the fuse for the radio would protect the wiring, but as far as the intermittent problem you are having it is a fluke.

Also you didnt mention if the changer is working normally especially when the problem occurs, that would also tell you it definitely isnt the changer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikey4032 said:
Recently purchased a BMW 6-CD changer on e-bay, and installed in my 99 528it. Maybe a coincidence, but the next time we used the car, the ABS light and ASC lamp came on, the speedo quit working as did the "MPG" vacuum gauge. As we were doing short shopping chores, each time we would restart the car, the same things would be inop, and the same lights lit. We stopped for dinner (about an hour) and when we came out to the car again, everything returned to normal and remained so on the trip home. Twenty minutes or so. The car then sat for a week. Wife drove it yesterday, all normal, then shut the car off at her destination. When she came out and restarted the car, the ABS light and ASC lamp came on, and she had no speedo on her way home. Today I used the car, no speedo, both lites on, and the "MPG" gauge working ok.
Is it possible do you think, the installation of a (brand-new, far as i know) CD changer could have anything at all to do with these problems we are now having? :(
Hi. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Doesn't seem to matter whether or not the changer is in use. The car is a CPO, so maybe I should go get the codes read. The changer works perfectly, BTW.
Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me know what the problem was. I have the same problem with a 99 528 iT that started with the ASC and ABS lights. The Speedo, Odometer and "MPG" lights went next. All seem to work on cold mornings for a short period and it seems as if the failure always occurs when I am applying the brakes. A thread on the Bentley Publishers E39 forum has several people with the same problem. The fix looks like it requires a new abs/asc control module.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Swap rear wheel speed sensors. About a 15 minute job if you have a decent floor jack and jack stands. the left rear controls the spedo (I think) and the right rear controls the cruise control.

If you loose cruise after the swap, just replace the speed sensor.

The abs/dsc/asc whatever systems need to have all 4 speed sensors working for the computers to do their thing. If one failes, the system shuts down.

Word of warning, your ABS will not work. So be carefull in panic stops and bad weather until you get it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So Did it work ?

Just reading your issue and it's exactly what I have going on. I check in the BMW TIS software and the only thing shown for the ASC/ABS lights going on and off is a bad ABS Sensor. According to the Artical on the TIS (Dealer software) it was that small "microscopic" cracks develop on the sensor wire causing the part to fail this causing the errors seen. According to the document the build date of effected models was from 9/98 - 3/99. Both E38 & E39. Also the Fault code (for those of us with Code Scanners) that will display are : error # 67 & or 112 . suposidly BMW fixed this issue in productions after the 11th week in 1999 production (this is how they wrote it). If anyone else knows about this issue and would have input I'd appreciate an E-mail and as always I will share what ever info I have that you may need. Thanks Hex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hex$cyn said:
Just reading your issue and it's exactly what I have going on. I check in the BMW TIS software and the only thing shown for the ASC/ABS lights going on and off is a bad ABS Sensor. According to the Artical on the TIS (Dealer software) it was that small "microscopic" cracks develop on the sensor wire causing the part to fail this causing the errors seen. According to the document the build date of effected models was from 9/98 - 3/99. Both E38 & E39. Also the Fault code (for those of us with Code Scanners) that will display are : error # 67 & or 112 . suposidly BMW fixed this issue in productions after the 11th week in 1999 production (this is how they wrote it). If anyone else knows about this issue and would have input I'd appreciate an E-mail and as always I will share what ever info I have that you may need. Thanks Hex
Well then Sirs, it seems I am in the right place for this....here is what is happening to me if anyone has a fix please let me know.

I am at the end of the rope with my vehicle:

I have a 2000 523ise (525 engine) manual 5 speed.

The car is equipped with ABS and ASC. A few months back the ASC/ABS light went on, and when I put it on the scanner it said Rear Left Speed Sensor.

So naturally I changed the sensor and shortly after the light came back on...:(

Back on the scanner - Left Rear Speed Sensor Circuit......and the speedo does not work; So:

1. Cleaned the sensor's ring
2. Checked wiring visually
3. Checked that all tires are made by the same manufacturer and have similar thread thickness

So I went into troubleshooting mode....abserving the car carefully and this is what happens:

1. When you start the car in the morning - the light is off - speedo works....upon driving it a little distance (about 15 minutes or so) the light will come on.

2. If you start the car and just leave it running the light will come on without moving the car after a little while 15-30 min or so.

3. If you unplug the wire plug from the ABS pump/modulator - and then put it back on the light will dissapear and the car will run normally for an amount of time (again about 15 min or so) before coming back on.

4. I removed the modulator off the pump (6 screws) and cleaned the inside out with aircraft electronics cleaner(**great stuff) - replaced the modulator on the pump - and the light stayed off for what looked like about 15-30 mins or so.

I dont know what to do much more than that. Can someone PLEASE help me, I need to fix the car ASAP for a driving test - which cant be taken without the speedo working. Any ideeas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have diagnosed the problem.

HERE'S HOW TO SEE IF IT'S THE ABS CONTROLLER UNDER THE HOOD OF THE CAR: (WHICH FOR ME IT IS 0 AND FOR MOST PEOPLE IT WILL BE)

1. GOTO AN OFFICE SUPERSTORE AND BUY A CAN OF COMPRESSED AIR
2. RUN THE CAR UNTIL THE LIGHT COMES ON
3. USE THE SPRAY UPSIDE DOWN AND SPRAY LIQUID OXYGEN ON THE UNIT UNTIL IT IS COLD (COLD COLD NOT EVEN ROOM TEMPERATURE)
4. IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT - ITS THE ABS CONTROLLER

THANKS EVERYONE!

·
Registered
344 Posts

HERE'S HOW TO SEE IF IT'S THE ABS CONTROLLER UNDER THE HOOD OF THE CAR: (WHICH FOR ME IT IS 0 AND FOR MOST PEOPLE IT WILL BE)

3. USE THE SPRAY UPSIDE DOWN AND SPRAY LIQUID OXYGEN ON THE UNIT UNTIL IT IS COLD (COLD COLD NOT EVEN ROOM TEMPERATURE)

THANKS EVERYONE!
Good to hear cooling of ABS unit can help identify problem! A can of radio shack "chilling spray" for electronics troubleshooting diagnosis will probably work better than a can of air. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Help please

What articel has this information about the micrsopic cracks in the ABS wireing? I have a problem where my ABS light comes on and stays on and the mechanic says I need a whole new ABS module and I cannot put that kind of money out till I am sure. The maechanic gave me the same code, #112 and I was hoping to see if there was another soloution. Also If there is now help there then does anyone know how to get the light to turn off? heat seems to be no factor, so chilling it doesn't help. If anyone has any help that would be great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
unfortunately there aren't too many other solutions in sight, i just got my 10/98 528i back today because of the same problem, car has abs/asc and transmission light on and goes into safe mode, you lose speedo, and car stays in third gear i think just so you won't burn up your clutch. the stealership offered to replace my hydraulic control unit for just under 2,500 :( so i went to bavarian hyper sports, where i should of been the whole time, and they had my car back in two days. they diagnosed and found that there is a repair kit for the abs module which is about $800 instead of the $1700-1800 it is to completely replace your abs module. my cars asc STILL won't turn off but they think it might be bedded into the computer andwill shut off once it realizes it has been fixed and if not then they will replace wheel speed sensors tomorrow. i hope this helps. BAVARIAN HYPER SPORTS IS ****ING AMAZING, highly professional, friendly, and most of all EFFICIENT, i can't tell you how pissed i am when going to pick up your car only for them to tell you...wellllllll....we're not done. again, bavarian hyper sports is amazing, not only for service but performance, if you are ever in houston i suggest checking them out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does it work now?

Did the fix Bavarian Hyper sport did fix the third gear and speedo issue? cause there is a rebuild option on ebay I was considering? could you let me know?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue, after several attempts, the dealer replaced the ABS wiring harness and haven't had a problem in 3 months.

HOpe this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts

THANKS EVERYONE!

this method does work. but its not liquid oxygen. its called r134a refrigerant. they put it in the cans for dust and air.

·
Registered
74 Posts
528ian said:
unfortunately there aren't too many other solutions in sight, i just got my 10/98 528i back today because of the same problem, car has abs/asc and transmission light on and goes into safe mode, you lose speedo, and car stays in third gear i think just so you won't burn up your clutch. the stealership offered to replace my hydraulic control unit for just under 2,500 :( so i went to bavarian hyper sports, where i should of been the whole time, and they had my car back in two days. they diagnosed and found that there is a repair kit for the abs module which is about $800 instead of the $1700-1800 it is to completely replace your abs module. my cars asc STILL won't turn off but they think it might be bedded into the computer andwill shut off once it realizes it has been fixed and if not then they will replace wheel speed sensors tomorrow. i hope this helps. BAVARIAN HYPER SPORTS IS ****ING AMAZING, highly professional, friendly, and most of all EFFICIENT, i can't tell you how pissed i am when going to pick up your car only for them to tell you...wellllllll....we're not done. again, bavarian hyper sports is amazing, not only for service but performance, if you are ever in houston i suggest checking them out!
you should try to get your money back, cuz its only $300 at www.modulemaster.com to rebuild the EBTCM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem,,, for my car a 1999 BMW 528i I had to replace the ASC/ABS control module (just like SoonerE39) As soon as I drove my car into the dealer they told me what it was since they had just done two cars with the same problem a week before. They gave me an estimate of $1300. What I did was go to an imported salvage parts and found the ASC/ABS control module for $400 and with a month warranty. I changed the ASC/ABS control module in less than 20 min, it is an easy thing to do,,, My car to this date is running like a champ!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. How did you change it yourself? Did you have a manuel. I would be interested. I have the same problem with my 1999 528i. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As far as I can see, you can not change this yourself as it requires dealer re-programming. I am not sure if the repair kit avoids this, I think not.

I guess the only thing that may be user doable is an ebay type rebuilder, but I would get them to guarantee no re-programming needed with their rebuilds before sending.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MickeyMick,
I can only speak for my self but I changed it and I do not have any problems with my car,, I just disconnected the battery, poped the hood open and changed the ABS module. That simple for me,,,

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.