BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lotus has announced that it will bring its Exige--a rebodied, hardtop version of the Elise--to the United States this fall. Mechanically, the Exige will be identical to the U.S. Elise, which means a 1.8-liter four making 190 hp and 138 lb-ft of torque. (We won't see the supercharged, 243-hp engine from the Europe-only 240-R.) The Exige will use the firmer suspension tuning of the Elise with the optional sport package, but the hardtop Lotus will have a cornering advantage over its open-topped counterpart because the Exige's unique bodywork creates so much additional downforce--80 lbs. more at 100 mph to be exact. All the Exige's body panels, save the doors, are unique. The increased downforce comes chiefly from four factors: the longer, reshaped nose; the front wind splitter; the rear wing; and the covered roof. The aerodynamic tweaks help the Exige scoot around the 2-mile Lotus test track two seconds faster than the Elise. Other changes for the Exige are limited to reshaped seats (bigger bolsters and cut-outs to fit a racing harness) and black wheels (either cast aluminum or the forged wheels from the Elise sport package). Only 200-300 Exiges will come to the States annually--against 2000-plus Elises--at a price estimated in the low- to mid-$50,000 range.

http://automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2005_new_york/0503_lotus_exige/

~~~~~~~

aty probably posted this in another thread but oh well. I would prefer it over the elise. still sadly too hardcore for me as a daily driver

20,210 Posts
dumb move--

heavier and slower than the elise, and more expensive

:confused:

that "two seconds faster than the elise" isn't correct, supposedly.

also, the hardtop is removable and the roof intake is not functional :eek:

also, pretty much zero rear visibility

the only plus is that it will accomodate a supercharger pretty easily

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I'm glad to see Lotus finally succeding in the US market. It's about time! :thumbup:

There are a good number of Elises running around town now (all yellow except one black one), and the waiting list has gone down to less than 6 months in OC. Had I known this sooner I might have put an order in for one a couple months back. Last I heard the waiting list was over 2 years; I guess some people pulled out.

--SONET

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
atyclb said:
dumb move--

also, the hardtop is removable and the roof intake is not functional :eek:

yeah didnt notice that
:thumbdwn:

does lotus claim the frame/tub whatever it is called is stiff enough that it doesnt need a roof?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
It's ugly anyway. Elise is cute.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
I understand, just to remove the battery in the Elise, the entire body has to come off.

Is this true?

If so, this would make these cars a maintenance nightmare supreme.

That and Lotus' unenviable reputation for reliability.

Ed

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
atyclb said:
the only plus is that it will accomodate a supercharger pretty easily
What about the turbo Elise in the new AutoWeek?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
atyclb said:
what more powerful engine?

the european/r.o.w. exige has the same Toyota motor as the elise too
There was a one-off Super Exige with 400hp produced for a well-healed customer.

Plus, there's a lot of aftermarket forced-induction for the Toyota 1.8 I4 to make everyone's power dreams, Elise and Exige owners alike, come true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts