BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello everyone! This is my first post/thread and after watching over these forums I know I can find answers and hopefully meet some cool bimmer owners.

I have a 2007 e64 M6 with 62K miles. All is great with the car but recently, I've been getting a loud clunk noise when I'm at a stop starting to accelerate. It does not happen every time and I can't pin point what exactly makes it happen. It can happen when the car is cold or warmed up, at any time of the day, or either in auto or manual mode. I'll be stopped at a light for some time and the moment I step on the gas, a loud clunk noise and a small jump will occur as if I was rear ended. I've taken my car to the local BMW shop and they looked at my tranny and all is good. The mechanic also inspected my rear differential and he said he couldn't identify a problem neither (please forgive me for not using technical terms, I'm in healthcare, not so car savvy). When the mechanic test drove the car, the clunk will never occur!!! He's test driven it multiple times and actually took it home with him overnight and the problem would never replicate. It's as if the clunk will only occur for me and not anyone else. I know I'm not driving it any different than anyone else.

To add, I recently did an oil change (the previous owner put the wrong oil in) and the clunk noise went away for a while but it came back after a week and it is definitely not as prominent as before the oil change. I'm not sure if the oil was a factor.

I'm sure there is a thread on this before so please, if the moderators wish to, go ahead and bump me into the older one.

Please help guys. I haven't really been driving it out of pure fear that my problem is huge. I need to enjoy this car!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
First off, hello everyone! This is my first post/thread and after watching over these forums I know I can find answers and hopefully meet some cool bimmer owners.

I have a 2007 e64 M6 with 62K miles. All is great with the car but recently, I've been getting a loud clunk noise when I'm at a stop starting to accelerate. It does not happen every time and I can't pin point what exactly makes it happen. It can happen when the car is cold or warmed up, at any time of the day, or either in auto or manual mode. I'll be stopped at a light for some time and the moment I step on the gas, a loud clunk noise and a small jump will occur as if I was rear ended. I've taken my car to the local BMW shop and they looked at my tranny and all is good. The mechanic also inspected my rear differential and he said he couldn't identify a problem neither (please forgive me for not using technical terms, I'm in healthcare, not so car savvy). When the mechanic test drove the car, the clunk will never occur!!! He's test driven it multiple times and actually took it home with him overnight and the problem would never replicate. It's as if the clunk will only occur for me and not anyone else. I know I'm not driving it any different than anyone else.

To add, I recently did an oil change (the previous owner put the wrong oil in) and the clunk noise went away for a while but it came back after a week and it is definitely not as prominent as before the oil change. I'm not sure if the oil was a factor.

I'm sure there is a thread on this before so please, if the moderators wish to, go ahead and bump me into the older one.

Please help guys. I haven't really been driving it out of pure fear that my problem is huge. I need to enjoy this car!!!
Did you change the oil in the tranny or motor. Has anyone checked the tranny fluid level to make sure it is full. 1/2 quart can cause this problem. If this problem only happens at stop signs, are you coming to a complete stop. A rolling stop will cause a harsh 2 to 1 shift, making you think that someone rear ended you. I would also ask if the Guilibo joint has been inspected for wear?

Welcome Aboard!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shop has stated that they checked the rear differential and nothing came out obvious. The loud clunk only happens at a complete stop such as waiting at a stop light for some period of time. When I shift to 2nd or 3rd there's a clunk but definitely not as loud or prominent. When the car is down shifting while rolling to a stop it'll clunk from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st but again still not as loud. I'll double check if the tranny or motor oil was checked. And will ask about the guilbo joint. Thanks!

·
Michael
2,324 Posts
On the E63/64 the early models would suffer from software glitches and doing a tranny reset made all the difference, easy to do! not sure what the procedure is on the M6 but maybe worth a punt. What you used to get is a slamming when coming to a halt probably as it was dropping down the box. The guibo is plausible as mentioned but they should be able to see it when under the car!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
The shop has stated that they checked the rear differential and nothing came out obvious. The loud clunk only happens at a complete stop such as waiting at a stop light for some period of time. When I shift to 2nd or 3rd there's a clunk but definitely not as loud or prominent. When the car is down shifting while rolling to a stop it'll clunk from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st but again still not as loud. I'll double check if the tranny or motor oil was checked. And will ask about the guilbo joint. Thanks!
If the car is making the noise at a complete stop, or sitting still at a red light, that sounds internal to the tranny. 1st thing on my list would be to check or change the fluid, to see what is going on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 04 bmw 645 ci the car feels like it's stuck in one gear Its semi,auto but it doesn't work for some reason I've put a brand new battery and its showing a transmission fault warning the car takes some time to catch reverse and the radio works whenever it feels like it anyone have an idea what it could be
It also makes that clunking noise

·
M SICK
6 Posts
hope this will help

Hi i had the same type of problem on my 04 645ci. it would knock as soon as i take off, i drove it around for a few months and and it also started happening when i would slow down. My problem was the drive shaft bearings They went bad. i noticed the noise and i could not find out at first where the noise was coming from. i thought it was the transmission grinding or the diff... I took it to my mech and he drove it and told me exactly what the problem was in 5 minutes. it would sound like a knocking or grinding sound from the center console. i hope that will somewhat help lead you in the right direction. Welcome to the club and i joined today also.

·
Super Moderator
8,675 Posts
I have a 04 bmw 645 ci the car feels like it's stuck in one gear Its semi,auto but it doesn't work for some reason I've put a brand new battery and its showing a transmission fault warning the car takes some time to catch reverse and the radio works whenever it feels like it anyone have an idea what it could be
It also makes that clunking noise
IT sounds like your problem is voltage related on your radio. If your battery voltage is low, it can cause the car to shift hard, & even cause the engine to miss. Voltage is very important to our cars, unlike the typical American car. The 1st thing I would do is measure your battery voltage 1st thing in the morning while it is cold. Bad batteries usually loose some cranking power when it is cold outside. Turn your headlights on, engine off, & measure your battery voltage at the jump terminal under the hood. Anything less than 12 volts is a problem, & below 11.5 volts & it might not crank.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE. Just got an invoice from my local bmw dealer. I need a clutch slave cylinder, bleed the clutch hydraulic, clutch pilot bearing, clutch pressure plate, and a fly wheel. Parts and labor = $5633.09. Damn.

I do have warranty so hopefully when my warranty responds back they'll cover most if not all. I can only assume I can get these done somewhere else a lot cheaper. I'll update you guys on what the warranty says asap.

·
drbbop
321 Posts
Did I miss something or was it not said this was a manual transmission? Yes I had to re-read it. Left out that little important piece of info. As a health care provider also, it helps to know just what type of equipment we are trying to render a diagnosis! Good luck on the fix!

·
Registered
826 Posts
that's ok you start with the ez cheap stuff and move up is my mantra
trying to figure why you need new flywheel and slave cylinder
but i do not know smg like that...soooo

we should have had SMG at M6 i guess...
just no used to seeing an M6 in these threads

1 - 15 of 15 Posts