BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post after joining the site for weeks, just have a few questions regarding how to make my 1995 525i louder at lower RPMs and idle. Right now I couldn't really hear anything unless I rev the engine into a higher RPM range but I love the smooth and crisp humming sound of the engine.

Is there an option out there that will deliver that type of sound without going overboard? I can't spend $400 on a new exhaust system at this point and was wondering if putting in a different muffler will do the trick. Thanks!

·
The Biggest P0st Whore!!
2,912 Posts
I've always thought my car was too loud at idle. Mostly just a low rumble that you can hear from inside the house. You could take out the factory air cleaner box and replace it with a CAI or just a cone filter. the holes in the muffler will help too. There are people that have put aftermarket mufflers (not bmw) on the car.

That said why not save the <$400 and buy something worthwile. I've always thought that loud exhaust on a non performance car was stupid. All show and not enough go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So an aftermarket muffler could make it louder? Can anyone make some recommendations as to which brand/type of muffler to buy (again, I'm looking for ones with smooth sounds...preferably not that loud).

·
Registered
176 Posts
dont mess with your muffler. do what bimmer dot info said....get a cold air intake, you will hear the difference and feel the extra horse power!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you Must mess with the Muffler, But the three of us agree... Don't Do it...

You should not go the cheap rout and buy a noise can. It will cost you to do it right! About $854.95 and up to be exact. You may find it cheaper but make sure that it is specifically made for your make and model and bolts right in with no mods. Nothing looks worse than a big can hanging out from under your car dangling in the breeze :slap: LOL...
http://www.bavauto.com
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=81

You can allso go with a high performance Air Intake System ike mentioned above.
http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=e34

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
[QUO*E=b*mmer do* **fo;2519292]*'ve alway* **ou*** my car wa* *oo loud a* *dle. Mo**ly ju** a low rumble **a* you ca* *ear from ****de **e *ou*e. You could *a*e ou* **e fac*ory a*r clea*er box a*d replace ** w*** a CA* or ju** a co*e f*l*er. **e *ole* ** **e muffler w*ll *elp *oo. **ere are people **a* *ave pu* af*ermar*e* muffler* (*o* bmw) o* **e car.

**a* *a*d w*y *o* *ave **e <$400 a*d buy *ome***** wor**w*le. *'ve alway* **ou*** **a* loud ex*au** o* a *o* performa*ce car wa* **up*d. All **ow a*d *o* e*ou** *o.[/QUO*E]

Ju** a **ou***..... do* **fo....* alway* **ou*** m**e wa* *o loud *oo...

*rav**...* love **e *lap. :*lap:

·
Registered
176 Posts
did anybody see that last post? what happend...

i said that i agree with bimmer dot info on how loud he thinks his is...and I love the slap from travis. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts