BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 640 ix Vert Saturday. In between snow showers, did 65 mph on the West Side Highway, 33 degrees. Shirt sleeves. TOP DOWN. Love this car.
Monday, 28 degrees, clear blue sky, sun shining, went for a drive. TOP DOWN. Really love this car.
No pics yet til I clean her up.
Today, heading to work on the dreaded XBronx. Almost avoided the biggest of the car swallowing "pot holes". (But not quite)
THREE out of four BENT RIMS !!!
19s, All Seasons.
Now waiting for the Allstate adjuster.
And I thought $ 2100 was too much for wheel/tire insurance.
Hope there'll be no hassles.
Service says tires seem fine. With all these bent rims, should I be concerned?

Deep Sea Blue (love it)
MSport
Black Dakota, Fine Line Oak
Driver Assist Plus
Cold Weather

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Me thinks you're about to be patting yourself on the back for being a genius for opting for the road hazard wheel and tire insurance. 3 wheel will more than place you in the black as far as the premium you paid is concerned.

Congrats on the new 6 vert! I had 3 of them...each one better than the one before. Enjoy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Allstate has been good so far for me. 3 rims and 4 tires in one year.. there just slow because of the inspection.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
That sucks. The reason I love my tire hazard program as opposed to insurance claims is I don't end up with premium increase due to claim history. After 7 runflat tires and 5 rims my $1073 five year policy has paid dividends!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Me thinks where I live the need for wheel and tire insurance is non existent. :thumbup:

Been wearing shorts at 70 degree's all winter.

Enjoy that beautiful 6'er. :beerchug:

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Me thinks where I live the need for wheel and tire insurance is non existent. :thumbup:
I wish I had your good fortune with that. The roads here in the DMV are virtually obstacle courses with crater-sized potholes. It's a disaster!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats on the new 640iX and nice call on the Deep Sea Blue! Its an awesome color.

Sorry to hear about your rims. The Cross Bronx is such a terrible road between the poor condition and traffic. NYC should pick up your tab.

I see you mention Allstate in your post? Do they sell a tire and wheel product? If yes - can you buy from them directly or their agents? Or is is a product that is still sold by the dealer.

This weekend looks like it will be good top down weather - above 50F!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Although I purchased wheel and tire insurance for my 06 650, I passed on purchasing the insurance for my 2014 6 series among other reasons due to the almost 4 fold increase in the cost, making my decision to self-insure seem sound. But with the streets in the D.C. area littered with potholes, I am questioning my prior decision.

Can anyone recommend a seller of wheel and tire insurance with a good record of responsiveness to claims?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I would like to think that the roads around out Nation's Capital would be kept in good show-off condition. But sound like that is not the case. :thumbdwn:
Hardly. However, as I was driving through Rock Creek Park this morning I noticed that the Park Service had strategicly placed orange cones in and beside some of the worst potholes. I am assuming this in preparation of making repairs today. D.C. streets are another story entirely! In fact I've seen potholes on 16th Street, a major D.C. artery, the likes of which I've never seen...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Manhattan BMW ( company owned ) offered me three choices of wheel/tire insurance. 1. BMW's. About $2900 for 3 years ( for 6 series ). $50 deductible. Unlimited number of claims. Dealer (any BMW) gets paid directly.
2. Allstate. About $2100. No deductible. Unlimited claims. Slower to process. "may require initial out of pocket expense, then reimbursed."
3. Third party (sorry don't remember Company). About $950. No ductible. Total $3000 limit.
First two had to be purchased at pick up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Manhattan BMW ( company owned ) offered me three choices of wheel/tire insurance. 1. BMW's. About $2900 for 3 years ( for 6 series ). $50 deductible. Unlimited number of claims. Dealer (any BMW) gets paid directly.
2. Allstate. About $2100. No deductible. Unlimited claims. Slower to process. "may require initial out of pocket expense, then reimbursed."
3. Third party (sorry don't remember Company). About $950. No ductible. Total $3000 limit.
First two had to be purchased at pick up.
Thanks for the information - I was offered the BMW wheel and tire protection for about the same price ($2,800-$3,100 from three different NJ dealers - although only the selling dealer would be able to sell it to me) which I thought was too high for three years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I received a quote for 5 years of coverage for road hazards, as defined, for $1899, but with a $5000 cap. Break even is about 4 tires. Replacing 4 tires and one or more wheels under the policy and you come out ahead.

Wheel replacement is covered only if it was mounted to a covered tire that was replaced under the policy and then only if the replacement tire does not hold air when mounted to the damaged wheel. But might a tire still hold air but the wheel be damaged/bent in which case there is no coverage?

Anyone had experience with this type coverage?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Got my windscreen the week before the car. OEM from Germany with the case .

A "pot hole" is a large opening in the earth's surface, usually in the middle of the lane you are driving in that wants to eat all or part of your car.
Encounters with which usually result in harsh language and expenditures of very large sums of cash.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
SD and TD: Shutuuuuup. :cry:
I'm with you Bonz.

My turn is coming with summer just around the corner we can't afford to touch anything metal :flame: :cry::cry:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
A "pot hole" is a large opening in the earth's surface, usually in the middle of the lane you are driving in that wants to eat all or part of your car.
Sounds nasty. I think I'll stay here in sunny Florida - we don't have any of those! ;)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A few months ago I hit a nasty pot hole and bent the rim really bad and got a bubble on my tire as well. The total cost to replace was over $2k which more than paid for the wheel and
tire insurance, which cost me $1650. If you live in the North East you must have the Wheel
and tire insurance its not an option with these rims and tires. Btw I have the 20's

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.