Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an article in the Feb issue of Roundel, on page 105. The writer explains how he purchased a 2011 528i after hearing from Mike Miller, Technical Editor. Now, that he caught the bug, he is looking for another BMW. The reply from Mike Miller really caught my attention.

I have had my 2006 E60 550i for 10 years. Purchased it as a 3-year old CPO with 13,000 miles. Hate to admit how much money I spent on this car adding stuff, like M-Tech kit, M6 wheels, BavSound system, new taillights, all new LED lights, etc.

Purchased a new Porsche Macan GTS in 2017. Nice vehicle, but when people ask me what my favorite vehicle is; Macan, Boxster or 550i, I always say the 550i was/is the best car I have ever bought.

The 550i now has 97,000 miles on it. I drive it as my daily driver, as it only has a value of $5,000. Worth $20,000 to me.

Back to the roundel article; Mike writes about the newer engines, and expected longevity. Makes me wonder if I should be looking to pickup an older 5 series. So, I start taking a look, and right off I read about the N63 engine, and all the problems.

Since I have been hanging out on the Porsche forums, I am not up to date on the best Bimmers to consider, and those to stay away from. My 550i has the comfort seats, which are a have to have. And, whatever I hunt for has to be sporty.

Thank you for reading this long post. I look forward to reading all your suggestions.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
I look up the Kelley Blue Book (KBB) value of my cars on the anniversaries of their purchase. I also record all my maintenance costs. After doing this for several decades, yeah, it's a no-brainer to hang onto a car. But, not forever. After my first BMW, I've decided to keep them until that "1" appears in the sixth digit of the odometer and then sell it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The car I wish I didn’t give up was the E39 530 but I wanted a V8. Almost got into a good used E60 LCI 550i but it got sold. My N63 has been trouble free for 6 years and with some mods, drives ok - but not near the sporty character of the E generation cars. Likely those characteristics are some of the reasons you haven’t parted with it.

There are loads of threads in here about the N63, the TU and the CCP. Again, I’ve not had issues along with a few other fellow 550 owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 3 of 3 Posts