BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I had the air pressure light come on the other day and my back left tire was low. I filled up so both tires are currently at 35 psi and the lights not going off ?? How do I shut it off it's driving me insane !

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Hey so I had the air pressure light come on the other day and my back left tire was low. I filled up so both tires are currently at 35 psi and the lights not going off ?? How do I shut it off it's driving me insane !
Inflate all four tires to the proper pressure and then reset the TPMS system. The instructions on how to do this are in the manual.

CA

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I bet you have a small puncture (look carefully or have your local trusted tire shop tech look) & that's what's causing the TMPS warning to go off. g/l

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
You need to see the word resetting. If you don't have idrive it's easy to not do it properly, I don't remember if the owner's manual is clear.
Actually, with instructions in hand it's very easy to do without i-drive and the manual is very clear how to proceed. It does take a few steps.

I transcribed the 3 or 4 steps to a 3 X 5 notecard and have it tucked in the driver's side door pocket so I don't have to pull the manual out every time. The notecard also serves as a reminder to me when I get in the car after adjusting my tires pressures to remember to do the reset. After I adjust the pressures, I just prop the notecard up in my instrument cluster. Then, when I next get in the car to drive, I know to do the reset.

Anecdotal, I had a E90 loaner last summer that when I started it up had a TPMS warning. (It amazed me that the dealership didn't check their vehicles after turn in and notice it, but whatever) :rolleyes: . The next morning before I went to work, I dutifully ran around the car and checked all the tire pressures. They were all in spec, but obviously the TPMS had not been reset. From memory it did take me two tries to do all the steps in their proper order, but point in fact, I was able to successfully reset it without the manual in my hand.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
(It amazed me that the dealership didn't check their vehicles after turn in and notice it, but whatever) :rolleyes: .
I often receive loaner cars that are low on washer fluid... I either take it into the service lane and have them fill it, or fill it up on my own dime just to avoid the "bing" everytime I start up... You would think that the loaner guys would take the time to determine what the issue is before handing over the car, but I guess there goal is to just get back to their desk... :dunno:

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I transcribed the 3 or 4 steps to a 3 X 5 notecard and have it tucked in the driver's side door pocket so I don't have to pull the manual out every time. The notecard also serves as a reminder to me when I get in the car after adjusting my tires pressures to remember to do the reset. After I adjust the pressures, I just prop the notecard up in my instrument cluster. Then, when I next get in the car to drive, I know to do the reset.
Of course you do Kat! I love your OCD, it makes me feel relatively normal! ;) This is a great idea! Of course now that my procrastination outweighs my OCD I'll probably never get around to doing this! :D

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Check the manual.

Funny, but my TPMS was software-updated recently, so now after I add air, the thing resets itself. Different graphics too.

Sign me,

GRATEFUL!!

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
See page 74 in the BMW manual for re-setting the TPMS. Luckily, I don't have to do it anymore!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Interesting timing of this question as I had my right rear light go off as well just 2 days ago(tempts are dropping into the 30s now at night). Strangely, I went to a gas station put a few psi in and the light went off, easy peezy, and went on my merry way. Did a cold check the next morning and made a slight adjustment to exactly equal the other rear, to recommended spec. So what's the deal...:confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting timing of this question as I had my right rear light go off as well just 2 days ago(tempts are dropping into the 30s now at night). Strangely, I went to a gas station put a few psi in and the light went off, easy peezy, and went on my merry way. Did a cold check the next morning and made a slight adjustment to exactly equal the other rear, to recommended spec. So what's the deal...:confused:
I hear you it's pretty cold here to about -5 during the day and around -10 at night

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Okay will do thanks man
It really is NEEDLESSLY complicated. BMW has the ability to program the TPMS to reset itself automatically as my recent software refresh does exactly that.

I used to dread having to reset the damn TPMS in my 328i. A real PITA!:tsk:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.