BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2011 328xi that I picked up on Thursday. Last night when I got into the car I received a warning that the battery charge was low. I was able to start the car, and everything still worked fine.

I am trying to figure out if this is something that I caused or if the battery was weak from when I picked it up. I keep my iPod plugged into the center console all the time, does the USB port draw power even when the car is off? I only had my CPO 328xi for 2 months and didn't have a problem with my iPod being plugged in, but I also had 1/2 the electronics that my new baby has, so I don't know if in the future I need to unplug the iPod when I get out to help the car keep a charge.

Thanks,
SPA

·
Registered
224 Posts
battery

Go for a good long drive and see if it is still weak. Or get a battery charger and charge it overnight === actually new battery chargers will indicate the state of the battery when you connect it up.

If the battery don't keep a charge then it is pretty well done..

Good luck

George Allan

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Very odd, take for a long drive and see, Dealer can actually test battery for amount of life left in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went for a quick ride and it seemed to recharge the battery enough to keep that from coming on, but it just seemed weird since I just picked it up on Thursday. I was wondering if USB or something else was draining the battery when the car was off.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
A 2011? I'd have the entire charging system checked out.

After my CPO '07 E91 (37k miles, original battery) displayed the Low Battery warning and then stalled out once, the dealer discovered that the alternator was overcharging to the tune of over 17 volts. After the Low Battery warning happened again with the new alternator (also found to be overcharging), it was replaced again. Although there were no more dash warnings, I asked to have it checked out a month or so later when in for a scheduled oil change. It turned out that the 3rd alternator was also overcharging but this time, a further check revealed that an intermittently bad IBS unit was the culprit. Since it was replaced, all has been well and the dealer thanked me for being the "guinea pig" as they had never encountered this problem before. Everything was handled under warranty.

Tom

·
Registered
927 Posts
These newer BMW's have electronic modules which all go to sleep after about 20 minutes. However, if you do something which keeps the system in 'radio ready' state, the battery will continue to draw current, with overnight drain potentially producing a dead battery. A few days before turn-in on my near end of lease 335i, I did not want to forget to take my expensive spare Comfort Access key back to the dealer and so I left it in the center console compartment. Guess what? Dead battery next day. I suspect that the continuous usage of the iPod was the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is something interesting. So now I no longer get the battery charge low warning, but now i get s warning for a malfunction in my front right blinker. I sent a service request from the iDrive system to see how good that works, but this needs to get checked out now.

Side note, dealer did say was they have heard instances where the Bluetooth in the car tries to remain active and searches for the phone even after the car is off, and that has been known to drain the battery before. So if I am on the phone when I turn the car off and have it switch back to the headset This could happen. Weird... Who knows, it sounds crazy enough to be true :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
In addition to the 328, I have an '07 Lexus GS 350. I can't believe the 328 has more electronics than the GS, yet there are no 'cautions' regarding driving the GS or the battery will go dead, as there are on the BMW. What gives?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts