BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 2002 BMW E39 525i which has both low beam reflectors which have deteriorated badly. It is miles too costly to have them redone so I am trying to get hold of a pair of reflectors that are in good condition. Seams like anyone who need to have new lights is just throwing away their broke ones without realising that there is a marked in the reflectors if they are still good.

So does anyone have a pair of low beam reflectors in good condition to suit my car. Doesn't matter if the lens of the headlights are in poor condition. It is all about the reflectors.

·
Just call me 777.
852 Posts
You don't have reflectors. The projectors are probably sagging due to broken adjusters. Disassemble and fix.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am only replying to reccomend DEPO full headlight that cost me, in Europe, made in China probably, less than 90***8364;. Bought in-store. Was the cheapest they had.

In my case I had a faded reflective surface.

They are perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you have the HID (Xenon) lights a pair of EVOX-R bi-xenons is a great repair option. I replaced my HID projectors due to failure of the reflector bowls in original Hella E55 projector units. I bought an EVOX-R pair for ~$150 including shipping in North America. Are they significantly more in Australia?

And the swap is a fairly easy DIY. I see you have a 2002 model which might have the lenses attached with a permanent adhesive, which would make the DIY more tedious, but still well within DIY range.

This thread from post 5 forward has some of my experiences
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1257070
And there are many DIYs that will turn up on a search.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely is the reflectors

I have pulled the lights apart and the reflectors behind the lenses are pitted and have no reflective coating at all. They are a very dull finish. Also the bulb slots have broken off so the bulb won’t stay in. On short I need to replace the bulb housing

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Puking the lights apart is easy. I put them into the bbq on 150 degrees Celsius and they came apart easily.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Puking the lights apart is easy. I put them into the bbq on 150 degrees Celsius and they came apart easily.
BBQ plastic. Sound yummy. Hahaha...
Did you baste it in butter or anything first? Seasoning?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They wouldn’t fit it the oven so the bbq was the next best option, I recommend you put a piece of timber on the hotplates so the plastic doesn’t melt into the plate

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ebay only has replacement lights and not the internal reflector. I don’t want to spend $400 a light just to replace a reflector

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Ebay only has replacement lights and not the internal reflector. I don’t want to spend $400 a light just to replace a reflector
It isn't clear which reflector you mean? The high beam reflector visible looking at the headlight, or the the smaller bowl reflector "hidden" behind the fisheye lens? If the small reflector bowl, it's part of the projector unit.

And come to think, you're in a RHD country aren't you? The EVOX-Rs mentioned earlier are LHD pattern only. You'd have to use another projector available with the RHD pattern, which won't be a direct bolt in. Still possible but you'd have to buy a retrofit mounting kit and rig something up from the kit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it is the reflector behind the fisheye lens. Everything comes apart from the reflector. There are 6 screws holding it all together. I’ve had it off and tried respirating it with mirrorchrome paint but that was hopeless. Never gives the mirror reflection that the pain can lid shows.

I don’t suppose you know what the lever does on the low beam cover plate?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes it is the reflector behind the fisheye lens. Everything comes apart from the reflector. There are 6 screws holding it all together. I***8217;ve had it off and tried respirating it with mirrorchrome paint but that was hopeless. Never gives the mirror reflection that the pain can lid shows.

I don***8217;t suppose you know what the lever does on the low beam cover plate?
So it is the projector and replacement projectors would be a solution, although cost in Australia may be unreasonably high.

I'm afraid the chrome paint would not have been really satisfactory even if it had laid down with a mirror finish. Chrome has a reflectivity of ~60% in the visible light range. The aluminum as used in headlight reflectors is in the low 90% range.

If replacement projectors are too expensive in Australia you might try finding an astronomy or amateur telescope club and asking where they have the reflectors in their telescopes "silvered", actually aluminized. I have read of auto restorers having this done although the cases were for classic cars with no alternatives, and presumably generous budgets. Never the less, worth asking the question it seems to me.

I don't recall a lever on the original HID projectors that I replaced. Perhaps if you posted a picture someone would offer some help.
EDIT: come to think, I've read that British cars (with RHD lights of course) have an adjustment to change the light pattern to something acceptable in mainland Europe with LHD. It seem probable that Australian bound cars receive the same lights rather than re-engineering a design for RHD only.

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
I love the DIY spirit, but sounds like replacement projectors much better way to go. Shame if your location and Australian taxes make that too expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts