BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alfa.M.twd.2012
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I own a 2006 325Ci E46

I have an issue with my Headlights (low beam HID) not being strong enough or pointing in the right place.
I know how to adjust the sideways position and the vertical is adjustable in cab but the actual HID light beam is all over the place and not very strong at all.

My questions are:
Do these HID bulbs lose intensity and position after time?
Can the position be adjusted by rotating the bulb or adjusting the bulb itself?
Has anyone had same issue with there’s?
Is my lights standard, (guessing not due to indicators being part of unit one piece)?
Are these light units good quality as far as aftermarket parts??

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Pictures of lights attached

Attachments

·
Alfa.M.twd.2012
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the reflector bowl may have shifted... The light coming out doesn't look centered in the lens... Maybe
How do I go about checking if this is the case E46_Ci?
I thought something like this could be the issue as the beams do no look anywhere near what they should.

Also you wouldn't happen to have got a factory fitted reverse cam with you BMW?
I have an issue there to that I'v posted about. :dunno:

·
Registered
741 Posts
There are some posts about removing the bowls that might help you... I have not run across this so I am of no help, I just noticed that the beam looks off center.

Factory reverse camera... I am not entirely sure that was an option for us in the states, but I do not have one :(

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,998 Posts
Looks like you have ZKW lenses. They burn out. Look at this thread. Specifically see post #3 and #16. The original post also has the link to the DIY I followed to fix the issue. Replacement bosch projectors can be had for $30-$50. Swap in your ZKW lenses and a little dremeling and voila! You are in business again.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589532&highlight=zkw+retrofit

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
I don't think those are ZKW. Can you look closely at the lens and tell us if you see "AL" stamped into it anywhere?

It looks like the projector is off-center - have you tried just adjusting them with an allen wrench? There are 2 adjusting points on your headlight. One does up/down and one does left/right. I can't remember which is which but one is hidden underneath the sheetmetal of the front fender - it's very easy to adjust though.

Are they dynamic? Do they have the "look around the corner" feature where they turn with the steering wheel?

·
Alfa.M.twd.2012
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coconut: :confused:
To clarify, by lens you mean front cover of light? I will check for AL stamp this afternoon (just got into work)
The lights unit has the high, low beam and indicator as one unit and the yes I have tried adjusting the horizontal movement and am driving with them fully adjusted inwards as even like this they seem to be pointing outwards and all over the place. The vertical adjustment is done in cab I think, (is this correct) and there is no dynamic corner action.

E46_Ci: :dunno:
"I didn't realize they still used ZKW on facelifted coupes (esp 2006's)... maybe just in other countries??"
I keep reading about this "face lift" What was changed when this occurred? Difference between non & FL??

Smolck: :thumbup:
Thanks for the info and link. I will sus it out right now. I actually emailed Bosch yesterday and asked for a cost on HID replacement component.
Many thanks

·
Alfa.M.twd.2012
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have taken the light unit out last weekend and took some pictures. I did not split the3 light at this stage but please let me know what you guys think.

I would luv to be able just to swap the projectors over without having to modify but if there is no way around it then so be it. I have been quoted $150 - $300 for Umnitza Bi-Xenon FX-R Projector Retrofit.

Is there a cheaper alternative? smolck? Bosh? Link? :dunno: :dunno:

Added some pics I took while light unit was removed. :D

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.