BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Low beam replacement

11737 14
hi all!

My car's low beam need replacement. 2007 328i
what bulb do I need, and how much does it usually cost if i want to take it to german car shop? hard to do it myself? it's just regular low beam lights, not xenon.

can any one recommend good place for reasonable price for these kind of issues in west la, culver city area?

thank you!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
It's a standard H7 55 watt bulb. Any parts store. Best is OSRAM super white or something like that.
hi all!

My car's low beam need replacement. 2007 328i
what bulb do I need, and how much does it usually cost if i want to take it to german car shop? hard to do it myself? it's just regular low beam lights, not xenon.
The owners manual shows how to replace the light bulb, along with the size of the bulb.
I always recommend replacing both the right and left side bulbs at the same time. Bulbs age, and the color changes over time, even on H7 lights.

:drive:
+1

also i have noticed that bulbs seem to go in twos....
I always recommend replacing both the right and left side bulbs at the same time. Bulbs age, and the color changes over time, even on H7 lights.

:drive:
Thank you so much! I will see if I can do it myself! Thanks again =)
As before, the type is H7. Replacement is not too difficult to do -just laborious. Follow this DIY. It will state D1S bulbs, but the procedure is about the same.
Thank you so much! I will see if I can do it myself! Thanks again =)
your low beam is H7 bulb type as well as your high beam, gp thunder's are all error free or a full refund will apply
Thank you all! You guys are super helpful. I still haven't gotten a chance to do it yet. So busy... Wonder if it's worth my time. If it's not too expensive, I will have to take it to the shop to do it. Thanks anyways everyone! I don't know how to reply to each of you. =)
low beam headlamp replace tips

Hey folks,
long time reader, first time poster.
I recently changed my low beam headlamps and thought I would share a couple things that seemed to be lacking in the other posts regarding this topic. Despite the helpful youtube videos and step by step explanations with pictures, I feel like I could get even more down to the nitty gritty as it were. The takeaway, I'm hoping, is that the order is critical.

I have a 2008 328xi.

1) Remove the wheel well access panel and lift the hood.

2) Remove the other access panel to the headlamps

3) Unhook the metal latch and then just take it out for the time being. This makes life easier and it won't drop into a dark abyss, which is even more unpleasant without one of those handy magnets.

4) Remove the plugged in light from the 'slot' (not sure what else to call it)
and (you may have to wrestle a little to) unplug it. Removing it from the slot makes this so much easier. Especially with one hand through the access panel and the other through the hood.

-Here's the key and where I struggled before..

5) Put UNpluggd new light into the slot.

6) Put the hook/latch back on

7) THEN plug it in.

these last three steps in this order are paramount to a quick repair. I learned that the hard way, I sadly plugged the light in first and then tried to put the hook/latch back on.. Not sure why but it just happened that way. It certainly caused some frustration. After I realized the order is critical, the second bulb took 5 minutes, with the majority of those spent unplugging the spent headlamp.

Note- low beams are very conveniently located to do this without removing anything besides a couple access panels. I cannot comment about the high beams from experience. They'll probably be a little more difficult, especially on the drivers side.
Hope this helps. Cheers

-Peer
Which ligsts to buy

My left low beam light is out, can i replace with the white lights rather than the yellow once which came with the car. If yes which is a good bulb to get?

Vikram,
2008 328i
One more note: never touch a halogen lamp with your bare hands. Oil from your skin gets on the lamp and can result in premature failure.

Either wear rubber/latex gloves or use a hanky if no gloves are available.
h7/55w
my left low beam light is out, can i replace with the white lights rather than the yellow once which came with the car. If yes which is a good bulb to get?

Vikram,
2008 328i

Attachments

Hello. I have an issue with my left low beam replacement. I dropped the cover that is suppose to snap over the headlight to prevent water from entering the headlight. It fell into the under carriage of the car and I can't see it. Should I leave it there and buy a new cover?

Every DIY project I work it ends in disaster (hence my name) ><

Thanks
Just drop the plastic splash shield and you will find it. It is fastened with 8mm screws.
Hello. I have an issue with my left low beam replacement. I dropped the cover that is suppose to snap over the headlight to prevent water from entering the headlight. It fell into the under carriage of the car and I can't see it. Should I leave it there and buy a new cover?

Every DIY project I work it ends in disaster (hence my name) ><

Thanks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.