BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys . Problem started with drivers side not working . Noticed wiring was really bad in the headlight assembly and a lot of condensation . Bought a new headlight assembly, new bulb, and a new module which mounts to the underside of the light assembly. Turned lights on and nothing. Only the passenger headlight came on. . Then swapped out the red igniters ...... still nothing on the drivers side. Swapped the red igniters back and now both headlighs are out. I am at witts end. Any suggestions . Thank you. Yes hallos work, and parking and side marker lights work, just no low beams or high beam . Even on high beam flash.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
I believe when the modules on the headlight are changed that they need to be coded to the car, I've not had to do it myself but someone here will confirm if that's right or not. Have you had moisture in both headlights or just the one? It maybe the LM module has had so many faults coming back that it's shut down power to the main lights in order to protect the rest of the circuits (especially after the igniter swap), I think the BMW software is your next port of call to see exactly what faults you have, make a note of them and then clear them then try again to see if the passenger light comes back first.

·
Super Moderator
8,332 Posts
Hi guys . Problem started with drivers side not working . Noticed wiring was really bad in the headlight assembly and a lot of condensation . Bought a new headlight assembly, new bulb, and a new module which mounts to the underside of the light assembly. Turned lights on and nothing. Only the passenger headlight came on. . Then swapped out the red igniters ...... still nothing on the drivers side. Swapped the red igniters back and now both headlighs are out. I am at witts end. Any suggestions . Thank you. Yes hallos work, and parking and side marker lights work, just no low beams or high beam . Even on high beam flash.
If you replaced the bottom module on the drivers side, it should communicate with the passenger side. The bottom module should not need coding, only the side modules that operate the adaptive headlights. I would move the passenger light over to the drivers side, & connect it there. You will have to turn the light upside down to plug it in. Start there since that is the path for the LM system current flow. I you have any BMW software, it will help a lot. You will need either DIS or ISTA/D to run diagnostics, & troubleshoot the problem. As you know by now, the headlights are very expensive to replace & repair.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
Found the problem. Helps if you plug the black wires into the red igniter
:rofl::rofl: Sometimes its the simplest of things that have you running round in circles, glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good Day All

Similar symptom as described above. Started with both HID's out but the LED halos functioning normal. I purchased this 2009 650i used in this condition and assumed minimal lamps needed replaced. When that didn't work I proceeded down the path of replacing component after component due to a good amount of water damage to both modules. I am now to the point where I've read short faults from the LM group using BMW Tool32 application. Can see the individual lamps with shorts but am unable to reset the status. I get an error "Error ECU Subfunction Invalid Argument".

Im very hesitant to experiment with the SW/coding unless i find a model specific guide since there are so many versions of these apps as well as vehicle specs. But I'm not able to locate where anyone has successfully worked around d this error message.

One other thing, may be of no significance. When I started troubleshooting I was just learning of pre/post LCi as well as other model specific changes from production years. I couldn't find a specific manual for my model year so I made the assumption that the headlights for my e63 has no igniter? Both sides didn't have them present when I purchase and in several exploded views they are not present. Is this assumption correct in production without individual igniter components?

Thank you for considering & other information you contribute to this site.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,332 Posts
Good Day All

Similar symptom as described above. Started with both HID's out but the LED halos functioning normal. I purchased this 2009 650i used in this condition and assumed minimal lamps needed replaced. When that didn't work I proceeded down the path of replacing component after component due to a good amount of water damage to both modules. I am now to the point where I've read short faults from the LM group using BMW Code 32 application. Can see the individual lamps with shorts but am unable to reset the status. I get an error "Error ECU Subfunction Invalid Argument".

Im very hesitant to experiment with the SW/coding unless i find a model specific guide since there are so many versions of these apps as well as vehicle specs. But I'm not able to locate where anyone has successfully worked around d this error message.

One other thing, may be of no significance. When I started troubleshooting I was just learning of pre/post LCi as well as other model specific changes from production years. I couldn't find a specific manual for my model year so I made the assumption that the headlights for my e63 has no igniter? Both sides didn't have them present when I purchase and in several exploded views they are not present. Is this assumption correct in production without individual igniter components?

Thank you for considering & other information you contribute to this site.

It would be good for you to start a new thread with your problems to get more specific help. Based on what you have stated, I suspect that your internal wiring harness inside the light are most likely shorted. There is not a wiring harness that you can purchase to replace the existing harness, only a painful repair. As you might know, headlights cost at least 1500.00 a piece new, & 800.00 & up for used headlights. You will need the help of some BMW software to help troubleshoot your problem, so you can test the stepper motors inside of the headlight to determine functionality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Kevin, I have similar headlight issued with my 2009 650i. Can you tell me year and model of yours. The reason I ask is that I don't have separate igniter components for the HID bulbs. Just want to make sure I'm making the correct assumption about my modem year not needing this device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts